General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

71 Cutlass Conv.

Search this Thread

Old September 10th, 2020, 07:55 PM

71 Cutlass Conv.

Hi everyone! Need help and some guidance. I had my car at a restoration shop that has recently gone out of business that also paintEd my car. They removed all of the glass. But......what I don’t understand Is ......why they removed ALL of the hardware from the doors and the backseat. So when they called me to pick up my car. I didn’t notice it until days later. Now I have no way of contacting them for the parts and an explanation. I guess I need to know where to purchase those parts and a manual on how to install. Hope I explained it correctly.
Old September 10th, 2020, 10:19 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

A real nut n bolt restoration, everything comes apart. You need to see where the rust is. Everything gets some level of attention whether its a simple clean and regrease to refinishing/duplicating OEM coatings etc...Replication of factory paint and assembly methods should start with a (somewhat) blank canvas.

You are/could be farther ahead purchasing a complete parts car in decent shape. Find a 71 vert that's whole but rotted but not broke in two. Then you will see how everything goes together. It's tough to do if you haven't done several restos yourself and get to know a 71. 70 and 72s could interchange? Someone will step in to verify.

Not saying it can't be pieced together one part at a time but the parts car could be an easier way. Window regulators are not fun. There is a right & wrong way to do it. You should be able to see witness marks where the bolt heads bit into the inner panels. This will get you in the ballpark. Then you need to find all the guides and stops. Good opportunity to add power windows if not originally equipped. I believe there is aftermarket support for power window kits.

The back and the front glass is being reproduced. Pilkington reproduces glass. https://www.pilkington.com/en/us

Several guys on this forum have barns full of parts in the classified section.
Post a parts wanted ad. Keep the ad refreshed so it stays on top. (please read the rules before posting).

Last edited by droldsmorland; September 10th, 2020 at 10:22 PM.
Old September 11th, 2020, 04:43 AM

Welcome to the site. It can be done, you will get it!!
Old September 11th, 2020, 10:13 AM
Rodney

I have some used door glass located in Houston, TX. It's probably all tinted since the glass came from Texas cars. I don't have any convertible quarter glass, just hardtop Supreme style.
Old September 11th, 2020, 03:23 PM

If you have the glass, maybe you can find some mangled or really rusty doors for the hardware, and as a template for how things go back together.
Old September 11th, 2020, 03:35 PM

Do you need the window regulators? I switch to power windows in my 70 Cutlass convertible. I have the manual crank window regulators available if needed. No glass or other hardware, just the regulators. Let me know if you need pictures.
Old September 12th, 2020, 10:00 PM

Thanks for replying. I would rather have electric windows. Is it a difficult process given I do not have the hardware? If not, can you help me achieve this?
Old September 12th, 2020, 10:05 PM

Thanks for the information. Forgive me if my replies are not reaching the correct people. Still trying to navigate through this site. If this is the person that’s in Houston with the glass. Would you send me your number?