General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

70 post value?

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2011, 04:19 PM

70 post value?

I have run across a 70 cutlass post car that needs restored. The body seems to be fair, just the rear bumper needs replaced. Bucket seats, console automatic. The interior needs redone as well but its all there. It starts and seems to run fine and is driveable. Just wants some opinions of what you think its worth like it sits.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
5T3116f8.jpg (10.5 KB, 56 views)
5U45P05.jpg (9.2 KB, 59 views)
Old October 24th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by tmatador
I have run across a 70 cutlass post car that needs restored. The body seems to be fair, just the rear bumper needs replaced. Bucket seats, console automatic. The interior needs redone as well but its all there. It starts and seems to run fine and is driveable. Just wants some opinions of what you think its worth like it sits.

Thanks!
T,
First the pics leave me confused. The rear bumper shows 70. But the front clip shows 71/72. Your pics are not very clear - kind of fuzzy. The front bumper is guaranteed to be 71/72, so is the hood. What you need to confirm is what year this is by checking the VIN or the cowl tag. No point in suggesting a price on something that you don't really even know what year it is.
FWIW, post cars are fairly rare as 2 door hardtops, so either way you slice the pie, if it's in good shape it could be a contender. Get the VIN info first

If this is actually a 70? It's probably been badly damaged on the front end requiring a lot of repair - hence the new front clip/bumper???

More I look at it, the more I think it's a 72. The VIN should start as 3F87 if I'm right
Old October 24th, 2011, 04:41 PM

Wow, thanks! I can't believe I didn't notice that.

I think i'll see if I can get the price low enough and just part it. I need a driver side door a passenger side fender and been wanting buckets with a console.
Old October 24th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Wow, thanks! I can't believe I didn't notice that.

I think i'll see if I can get the price low enough and just part it. I need a driver side door a passenger side fender and been wanting buckets with a console.
First you need to determine the year....get the VIN. The rear bumper is no big deal to replace - there are lots of them available on ebay as driver condition. Even repops are only about 385 or so. Before you tear apart a possibly really good car.....

Are you by chance looking for these parts for your 70 R350?
Old October 24th, 2011, 05:32 PM

Yes for the Rallye, the driver door is rusted through on the bottom corner and the passenger side fender has got a few dents in it. They are both very fixable but its easier for me to replace than fix because i'm not a body man by any stretch of the imagination.
Old October 24th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Yes for the Rallye, the driver door is rusted through on the bottom corner and the passenger side fender has got a few dents in it. They are both very fixable but its easier for me to replace than fix because i'm not a body man by any stretch of the imagination.
Can you post a pic showing the rusted area? It may be more salvagable than you think. John MacNeil (2blu442) has a pile of Cutlass doors sitting waiting to go to the crusher if no one wants them. Shoot him a PM. He could probably cut the lower section you need and ship it. I didn't look to see where you are located. If you're closer to the east coast, talk to Eric (jensenracing77) or Oldspackrat. They both part out these old cars an may be able to help you with a partial panel or a full door. It would be a shame to part out a good 71/72 post just for a driver door.

It would be better for you to fix the passenger side fender. 2 reasons. 1. the fender is a one year only with no crumple zones on the top. 2. The fit of the fender liner is different on the 70 than the 71/72. You would need to make adjustments to the fender or the liner to make it fit right.
Old October 25th, 2011, 05:06 PM

Here is a pic of the door.
Attached Images
1615.jpg (30.4 KB, 17 views)
1616.jpg (76.8 KB, 18 views)
Old October 25th, 2011, 06:06 PM

i have a drivers post door and a 70 pass fender located in chicago door is clean and fender needs a patch good brace chris
Old October 25th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Here is a pic of the door.
That can be repaired. If that's all the problem you have with the door, it's not bad. You can use donor parts from any 70-72 2 door car. Send the pics to one of the guys I was telling you about and ask them if they can cut out what you need and ship it to you or your body shop.

If you go with a replacement door, keep the old one and use it to practice welding or whatnot. It will also have donor parts you may need in the future. Just don't leave it out in the weather.