General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

70 442 rear quarter felt issues

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2014, 06:50 PM

70 442 rear quarter felt issues

I have searched the threads and haven't found anyone that has found a good supplier for these. I have a set of PUI and a set of Repops brand, both are the original style raised bead kind. The rears don't come close to fitting. Has anyone sorted this issue out? I am so sick of high dollar parts that don't fit or are just plain crap. I would post pictures but I can't figure out how to do it.

Thanks for any input.

Transman
Old June 4th, 2014, 08:02 PM

trying to add a photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20140604_145659.jpg (47.0 KB, 40 views)
Old June 4th, 2014, 08:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

You haven't tried Supercars Unlimited, Steele Rubber, Fusicks, Parts Place??? You should be able to tweak those moldings and get them to fit.
Old June 5th, 2014, 01:04 AM

They will cost more, but the rear felts for my 71 that I got from OPGI fit perfectly.
Old June 5th, 2014, 10:13 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Transman
trying to add a photo.
Ok, one additional thing I have to say. You likely ordered the wrong molding. From the pictures it appears you have the rather rare B85 moldings (on the sill of the door and rear quarter window). I believe you need a special molding for that. Check with Steele Rubber.

You might also want to check with Patton Glade (70Post on this site). He's a restoration expert and has done a lot of B85 molding replacements and can advise you better on this.
Old June 5th, 2014, 06:08 PM

New info,

I do have the rare (apparently) moldings. The window felts I bought are PUI brand (original style)from OPGI. OPGI wasn't much help on this when I talked to them about it. They sent out another set from repops but they were shaped just like the PUI ones. Long story short, I called PUI and then e-mailed them the picture I posted here. PUI said I needed the felts for the special moldings and that is a different part number. I called OPGI with the part number for a set of outer felts, (since the inners are the same, and they are already installed so I can't return them). OPGI told me they couldn't get that part number for me but they would be happy to sell me the correct 8 piece set for $169.00 plus tax and shipping. (Won't be available for 2 weeks) Did I mention how helpful OPGI is? SO, I called Summit and they told me they didn't handle that part number, BUT, they would see about getting it for me, call back in an hour. I called back, they are on the way for $59.00 plus shipping. Did I mention how much I like Summit right now? I hope all this helps some one in the future, it seems that nobody mentions the optional molding and the fact that it requires a totally different style of window felt.

Transman
PS now I need to find a complete right rear quarter window track assembly as mine is long gone in a field somewhere in Frazier Park CA.
Old June 5th, 2014, 06:32 PM
wait.... what....

After talking to Patton, i went with the ones from Steele. All i have done so far is started to mount the outer ones, and the "shape" seems to be good. The metal rivets that hold the felt to the steel seems to hit the molding, and stops it from sitting flush, but nothing that my die grinder won't fix!