General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

69 not starting

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2013, 01:43 PM

69 not starting

Hi, i brought a 69 cutlass from US which was running fine and shipped it to uk which is running every now and again. At the minute it's not starting at all I've replaced the fuel pump,fuel line,spark plugs, battery. But still nothing. If I pour fuel down the cabareta it ticks over. It seems like the fuel can't get to the engine. Any ideas? Thankyou
Old November 17th, 2013, 03:52 PM

Check the fuel filter in the carburetor. I've seen them get filled with dirt from the fuel tank. Or....disconnect the line that comes from the fuel pump to the carburetor. See if there's fuel coming out of the line when the engine is rolled over. If so, then check the fuel filter. If not, look for a kink in one of the rubber hoses coming from the tank.

Last edited by Olds_71_442; November 17th, 2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old November 17th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

If it runs when you put something flammable down the carb (gasoline, ether, propane, whatever), but not otherwise, then I would agree that you have a fuel problem.

You've replaced the fuel pump (did you test the old one first?) and the fuel line, by which I ASSume that you mean the rubber hose from the steel line to the fuel pump.

Eddie is right that you should check your fuel filter.

After that, you need to check your other fuel lines, specifically the steel line that runs from the back to the front, the rubber hose(s) that connect the tank to the steel line(s), and the steel lines that are a part of the fuel gauge sender.
You need to check them both for patency AND to be sure there are no cracks or pinholes that could be admitting air and breaking the prime of the fuel pump.

If all is good, you should check the sock on the end of the fuel pickup. If it has disintegrated, a piece of crud from the tank could be plugging the inlet tube.

You will also need to check that the needle and seat are working correctly and not stuck shut.

Finally, you should check to make sure that there's gas in the tank after its ocean voyage.

- Eric
Old November 17th, 2013, 05:52 PM
jfb

how about stale gas
Old November 18th, 2013, 07:08 AM

Had the same problem with my '71 when I bought it. My problem turned out to be the choke pull-off on the carb. You might want to check that out too.
Old November 18th, 2013, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
If it runs when you put something flammable down the carb (gasoline, ether, propane, whatever), but not otherwise, then I would agree that you have a fuel problem.

You've replaced the fuel pump (did you test the old one first?) and the fuel line, by which I ASSume that you mean the rubber hose from the steel line to the fuel pump.

Eddie is right that you should check your fuel filter.

After that, you need to check your other fuel lines, specifically the steel line that runs from the back to the front, the rubber hose(s) that connect the tank to the steel line(s), and the steel lines that are a part of the fuel gauge sender.
You need to check them both for patency AND to be sure there are no cracks or pinholes that could be admitting air and breaking the prime of the fuel pump.

If all is good, you should check the sock on the end of the fuel pickup. If it has disintegrated, a piece of crud from the tank could be plugging the inlet tube.

You will also need to check that the needle and seat are working correctly and not stuck shut.

Finally, you should check to make sure that there's gas in the tank after its ocean voyage.

- Eric
Thanks I'll look in to it, I've also changed the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carbareta. Another quick one, I've taken the air conditioning out off the car and under the hood but was wondering if u could take the main base off completely. Cheers
Old November 18th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Rob has an excellent thread on restoration of his A/C unit, which could also be used to see how it all comes apart.
He's Lady72nRob71.

- Eric