General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

69 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2015, 08:36 PM

69 Convertible

I don't know what the status of this little gem is, but I found it in a field just off the I-40 exit in Newkirk, NM. It still looks to be in decent shape from the outside. Would make a decent driver or a great resto platform. I don't have the resources to grab it up but maybe someone else does.

Old January 9th, 2015, 05:27 AM

Looks very good, in a field? I gotta get out of jersey
Old March 20th, 2015, 10:36 PM

I went back and spoke with the owner of this car. He runs a towing service and says this one came in as a running car but overheating. Probably blown head gasket or two. Looks like it has been sitting for quite a while 'cause he is asking too much for it. I had an earnest conversation with him about the value of the vehicle and it could probably be purchased for around $2K cash. He might hold out for $2.5K. The top is shot but has a glass rear window, the seats are serviceable but not great. Still has the factory wheels but no center caps. It smells of mildew so the floors are probably rotten. Some typical body rot is visible. It's a plain jane model, no A/C, had a rag stuffed into the driver's side vent. No power windows, just auto trans and looks like a 350 engine. Still has luggage in it! I have a few more pics if anyone is interested.

Hoist.gifHoist.gifHoist.gif
Attached Images
File Type: gif
Hoist.gif (36.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: gif
Hoist.gif (36.9 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by cjsdad; March 21st, 2015 at 12:02 AM.
Old March 20th, 2015, 11:02 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Good synopsis. I'm not going to do anything about it, but would still be interested to see any more pictures you may have.
Old March 21st, 2015, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
Good synopsis. I'm not going to do anything about it, but would still be interested to see any more pictures you may have.
You can see the top is shot. The missing bow for the top is visible in the trunk well through the rear window.

The engine bay doesn't look to be molested much. The vacuum hose pulled out of the brake booster might be contributing to overheating as well. I lifted the air cleaner cover and it is a Q-Jet.

Standard rust spots and one that caught my attention on the driver's side above the trunk.

Looks like rust around the windshield.

The interior is too full of debris to really tell what shape it is in. Not great, but useable. Can't even see the rear seats because of the luggage still in it.

Standard rust around the wheel openings, rockers, and quarter panels but worse on the driver side.

Love those '69 tail lights!
Old March 21st, 2015, 12:49 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Great pictures. Wonder what's up with the white dash? Never seen that before.
Old March 23rd, 2015, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
Great pictures. Wonder what's up with the white dash? Never seen that before.
Ditto.
Color looks much brighter than the original parchment.
May have been redone.
Old March 24th, 2015, 01:46 PM

looks to me like someone painted the dash,steering wheel center,and kick panels to "look cool". the 1/4 is probably all filler
Old March 24th, 2015, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by oldolds88
looks to me like someone painted the dash,steering wheel center,and kick panels to "look cool". the 1/4 is probably all filler
Close-up view of some of the other pictures I have suggest that the dash has been painted white. The driver's side armrest looks like it was painted white but has worn away. The passenger side is still all black though. The stuff still in the car looks like it was owned by a female, maybe she wanted to 'gurl it up' a bit. Outer appearance of the fender looks all metal, too much rust showing through to be filler.

Old March 25th, 2015, 12:10 PM
Oldsdruid

With all that rot I doubt it's an original New Mexico (or even southwestern) car.

Leery of that late 70s aircleaner too. Yeah, I know most cars from this era have POS (Previous Owner's Stamp) all over them.