General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

67 cutlass holiday coupe

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2012, 09:13 PM

67 cutlass holiday coupe

All my trim is bubbly from rust (I'm assuming.) Is this fixable? Take trim off sand it off and redip it in chrome? Or buy new trim? If so where can I buy new trim?
Old October 24th, 2012, 06:31 AM
Administrator

If it's minor, steel wool with soap and water will smooth and shine it up.
Old October 24th, 2012, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
If it's minor, steel wool with soap and water will smooth and shine it up.
Just soap? Is there anything for chrome like there is for brass? (Brass-O).II'll take a picture later today and post it of the bubbles so you can let me know if its minor... I don't think it is but I hope I'm wrong
Old October 24th, 2012, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by cheffernan
Take trim off sand it off and redip it in chrome?
Easier said than done.

I'm curious. Where are you going to dip it in chrome? A vat of chrome-plating chemical big enough to hold an entire bumper is (obviously) large and therefore expensive, and it's not something that a do-it-yourselfer normally has in his garage. Rechroming is a highly regulated business requiring considerable investment to adhere to environmental regulations. That's one of the reasons that replating a single bumper can run you $500 these days.
Old October 24th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Just soap? Is there anything for chrome like there is for brass? (Brass-O).II'll take a picture later today and post it of the bubbles so you can let me know if its minor... I don't think it is but I hope I'm wrong

It will also clean up bumpers as well. I'll look at your pictures.
Old October 24th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

All my trim is bubbly from rust (I'm assuming.) Is this fixable? Take trim off sand it off and redip it in chrome? Or buy new trim? If so where can I buy new trim?
How about we start with you telling us exactly which trim? There are three types of trim used on this car, polished stainless, chrome plated steel, and chrome plated pot metal. Polished stainless doesn't corrode, so that should not be a problem. It can dull and be repolished. Plated steel is mainly the bumpers. This DOES rust under the chrome. The only fix is to have a chrome shop strip the bumpers and replate them. The rest of the trim is plated pot metal. It doesn't rust, it pits due to corrosion. Proper repair is very time consuming and expensive. The parts need to be chemically stripped of all plating, then the pits individually ground out. The parts are then copper plated and the holes from the pits hand filled with solder. The solder is smoothed and then the parts can be replated normally. Depending on the particular piece of trim, new or repro parts MAY be available, but most are not for a 67. You will either live with the pits, find better used parts, or spend the bucks to have yours refinished.