General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

67 Cutlass gas tank vent question, please help

Search this Thread

Old July 20th, 2013, 09:01 AM

67 Cutlass gas tank vent question, please help

I recently got the first 67 Cutlass I have ever owned. We have owned the 66 for many years and I am pretty much acquainted with most of it. But this 67 has a lot of differences.
The gas tank is pouring gas by the license plate when you take off. So I get it up and look. It has 2 lines coming out of the driver side rear of the gas tank with hoses running to the fill neck area, not connected to anything there at the fill neck. I am assuming this is the vent system on this model, right? I looked at the front of the tank, there is a fuel line and a return line, but no vent line (the 66 has a vent on the front of the tank on the passenger side). So assuming I am correct so far, is there supposed to be some special fitting/baffle of something in the ends of the hoses on this 67 that prevents the fuel from pouring out? And if so where can I round them up from? What are they called?
It has a correct non vented cap which looks good, and original.
This is a California car with 76K miles, convertible, with Turnpike Cruising option. I'll get some pictures when I get it drivable and cleaned up. It burst a heater hose as soon as I got it home, so I have the thermostat and related stuff off waiting on a bypass hose to finish it up before I can move it.
Thanks in advance for helping,
Mike
Old July 20th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Shoveling Snow

Olds had a TSB on this problem and a kit that was available to cure the gas leaking out of this vent. Pm sent.
Old July 20th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Could you pm me with this service bulletin also.
Old July 20th, 2013, 09:53 AM

X2 for me also. Thanks.
Old July 20th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Shoveling Snow

At this moment I cannot lay my hands on the TSB but I do have the instruction sheet that came with the repair package. I can email to interested parties.
Old July 20th, 2013, 10:07 AM

That would be fine. 1967cutlass442@gmail.com

Thanks.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 08:36 AM

My pop had 2 67 Cutlasses and I 2 442's and a TC project. I have not heard of this problem with the 67's but I have never looked at the rear of the car when I accelerated from a stop. There is a clip where the 2 hoses should be upon their termination near the top of the fill pipe center bumper. One hose is a lot thicker than the other with a smaller diameter hole. I do not know the purpose. I have seen gas spill from fill cap when the tanks are filled to the max. I would be curious as well to learn what the TSB had to say.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
My pop had 2 67 Cutlasses and I 2 442's and a TC project. I have not heard of this problem with the 67's but I have never looked at the rear of the car when I accelerated from a stop. There is a clip where the 2 hoses should be upon their termination near the top of the fill pipe center bumper. One hose is a lot thicker than the other with a smaller diameter hole. I do not know the purpose. I have seen gas spill from fill cap when the tanks are filled to the max. I would be curious as well to learn what the TSB had to say.
I've been looking at your TC build thread, Mine is a CA car so it has the AIR pump. I wish mine was as simple under the hood as yours. My air cleaner is previously partially disabled, I'm going to finish disabling it.

The gas tank vent(s). I read all the stuff sent to me and posted. Went back to the garage and looked some more. I found the clip you mention which keeps the hoses running uphill , so to say, all the way to termination. My hoses have been changed and are red rubber (I'll probably get some repros and change them). But for now I took the knowledge gained from the provided posts and PMs, and devised a plan. This is my ideas expressed and not necessarily accurate. The factory stuff crammed into the hoses were to keep the air in the lines and allow it to escape slowly. My hosed had no baffle so the fuel could displace the air and pour right out. So I cut 2" strips 3/4" wide from a red scuff pad (used for paint prep), rolled them up tight and twisted them down into the existing hoses, and put the hoses back up in the clip where they belong. In my mind the scuff pad is going to allow air to move slowly in and out of the tank but prevent the fuel from moving enough air quickly enough to ever leak. I got it together last evening and drove it around, did a quick start to try to get fuel to leak, but there was no leak. Looks like it is good for now, and as mentioned, I'll get some reproduction hoses and install them so it will look better.

Paul, you're the man. Thanks to your PM I was able to get the problem stopped! I appreciate you taking time to help.

Mike
Old July 23rd, 2013, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Inline tube has this setup which should work on 67's and clip into the bracket above the license plate behind the bumper.

Hairy Olds, my email is redfury63@hotmail.com

NL11407 1970 GM A-Body Gas Tank Vent Tube Filter With Hoses, Set $29.00
Old July 23rd, 2013, 11:37 AM
CQR

I installed a small engine (B&S) fuel filter on the small line and a ball valve on the large line. I only open the valve on the large line when fueling, otherwise it air locks and won't fill properly.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Wow I've had mine looped together for the past 5 years. It will build some tank pressure on a hot day but not enough to matter.

I've been tossing around the idea of installing the set up I posted earlier.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 02:45 PM
CQR

Hairy Olds. e-mail to clint@morrisoncarworks.com please. Thank you.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 05:56 PM

Me also Larry at lemoldsnut@aol.com

Everyone I have seen has had a foam like substance in it. I have used the later vent earlier posted.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 09:03 PM
Just the facts...

and me billdemmer at wi.freei.net

tia
bill
Old July 26th, 2013, 12:29 PM

I need help

I filled my tank today and I only got 6.4 mpg my vent tube been a problem since day 1 my tubes come off the vents then go toward front of car up in back of
Fuel tank w/steel lines curled up like a pig tail it's up as far as you can go somehow there is so much pressure building up it seeps out? I tried that plastic thing that did not work any Ideas I have a non-vented cap on it
Steve
Old April 1st, 2014, 07:36 PM

I'm having similar issue with my 67 442. Could someone send me some info to correct the fuel leaking from gas tank vent hoses . Thank you. Jeff.n84@hotmail.com
Old April 2nd, 2014, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by 89biff
I'm having similar issue with my 67 442. Could someone send me some info to correct the fuel leaking from gas tank vent hoses . Thank you. Jeff.n84@hotmail.com
This is what I finally did to (hopefully) solve my problem.
On the 67 the vent is 2 holes/pipe nipples coming out the back of the tank. Replacement factory style vent tubes, sold here, which I bought
http://www.ebay.com/itm/67-Oldsmobil...ed194a&vxp=mtr
were restricted by a small foam filter in one of the new lines, the big one. I added one to the small line as well using a piece of a foam lawn mower filter, those green things you see for sale, I had one in the shop. The new lines are too long and may need trimmed. I trimmed mine to terminate right above the fill spout where there is a bracket to hold them in place. Make sure you get the clamps on good so no fuel can leak there. I feel like the new lines with the foam restrictors allow air to move slowly which prevents fuel from moving fast enough to escape through the vents. I think the lines need to be running at a continuous angle upward to try to keep fuel from building up in the lines.
Those are my thoughts and what I did. It seems to be working. I haven't filled the tank yet, hope that doesn't affect it, I am not a fan of having the vent coming out the back. A non vented cap is correct.

Good Luck,
Old April 2nd, 2014, 07:28 AM

The 1967s leaked around these hoses on a full tank when new. I bought a 1967 442 new and was stopped numerous times by people telling me I was leaking gas. My license plate was stained from the gas that leaked.
When I restored my present 67 442, i replaced the foam in the vent line and fashioned a sleeve around it out of a beer can so the gas that leaked ran on the ground rather than the license plate. The beer can is behind the bumper and you can't see it.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 07:49 AM

I wonder if it is possible to retrofit to vented gas cap and simply cap these hoses.

I do like to be year correct, but I draw the line at safety upgrades.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 07:56 AM
Administrator

I believe it is possible, just have to find the right cap. I asked this question some time back and could not find a vented gas cap part number or source. One of these days I'll hit the auto parts store and experiment.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 08:52 AM

I should add it only seemed to leak when the tank was filled with cold gas and it expanded and under had acceleration with a full tank. Sitting in the garage with a full tank, it didn't leak.
Old October 27th, 2023, 01:39 PM

Did you get the gas leak fixed and if so what did you do?