General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

67 cowl tag decoding

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2022, 11:18 PM

67 cowl tag decoding

hello all, glad to see this site is still thriving after all these years. i am going to buy a 67 convertible and was needing some help decoding the cowl tag.
what i have deciphered so far:

67 supreme convertible, v8, built in lansing, 5th week of december. production number 3364, interior is blue with bucket seats (973-b), paint is crystal blue with a black top (d-2)
what are the letters under the trim color? EXS 2ET 5Y are these accessories codes? it has air conditioning, power windows, tilt steering, and cruise control, did i just answer my own question as to what these mean? lol
what is the B above LAN?
Old February 12th, 2022, 06:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

12E = built fifth week (E) of Dec (12) 1966
ST 67 = 1967 model year
33867 = Oldsmobile (3) Cutlass Supreme (38) convertible (67)
LAN = Lansing assembly plant
3364 BODY = Fisher Body sequence number
TR 973 B = blue bucket seat interior
D-2 PAINT = Crystal Blue (D) lower body with black (2) convertible top
ACC Codes:
Group 1
E = tinted glass
X = power windows
S = power trunk release

Group 2
E = firewall piercing for A/C
T = power antenna

Group 5
Y = deluxe seat belts

I don't have an answer for the "B" at the top, unfortunately
Old February 12th, 2022, 06:13 AM
Always room for one more

If the tags were done similar to the Chevy tags that B is the color of the paint on the interior of the car. If the car is blue and the metal inside the car is blue, chances are the interior blue is a different shade and that's what that letter is representing.

Old February 12th, 2022, 06:26 AM

For 1967 the "B" above doesn't have a thing to do with interior paint color. It has another meaning but has not been able to be fully documented.
Old February 12th, 2022, 06:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by slantflat
If the tags were done similar to the Chevy tags that B is the color of the paint on the interior of the car. If the car is blue and the metal inside the car is blue, chances are the interior blue is a different shade and that's what that letter is representing.
The 1967 Oldsmobiles used three different shades of blue in the interior, in either semi-gloss or flat, depending on the location and specific part involved. The GM "W-codes" for the three colors were W3567, W3565, and W3302. This is specified in the 1967 PIM in Section 0.
Old February 12th, 2022, 07:08 AM
Always room for one more

Originally Posted by 66SportCoupe
For 1967 the "B" above doesn't have a thing to do with interior paint color. It has another meaning but has not been able to be fully documented.
Well okay, that's why I said, if they do things like Chevy did. Apparently not. But it is a little premature to say it has nothing to do with interior paint, and then say we don't know what it means.

Fully Documented. Does that mean it only has three things that say what it is instead of five?

Old February 12th, 2022, 07:41 AM

It's not premature to say that! I will say that for those that have some information on that particular letter can discern a factory W30 car from a letter placed in that area of cowl tag. At least in 1967 you can.
Old February 12th, 2022, 09:36 AM

That digit up there, the B, is not figured out yet. I am wondering if it is some sort of lot.
Old February 12th, 2022, 08:20 PM

well, took my 3 hour, one way drive to look at this car today. it was pretty rough under the exterior, but i was still going to buy it because of all the options, and it was 100% complete, unmolested original. i went to verify the title matched the vin tag, someone put a 3 place of the M, talk about a punch in the gut know that i spent 250 on trailer rental and fuel, to have one number of the vin on the title screwed up, bummer. i told the guy if he would meet me half way once the title was fixed, i would still buy the car. hopefully he goes for it, i really don't want to drive all the way back. thanks for all your help on decoding the tag for me. i was able to find half of the info but the extra letters for power options i could not find. now i'm off to try and find a frame for this car so i can still make the purchase. thanks again for the help.
Old February 13th, 2022, 03:28 AM

For the 66-67 model year some GM brands like Buick put letters at the end of the cowl tag numerical trim code to denote more information about the interior. For example, the letter C was used where custom versus a base interior trim was available. (I have no idea whether Olds ever offered a custom versus a standard or base interior trim. Buick did.) I think Buick used an S for standard interior whereas in 66 442 Olds used an S on the cowl tag for bucket seat headrests. You would think the Fisher construction codes would interchange among the divisions but maybe not.

Somewhere around 66-67 a shoulder belt harnesses became optional which required an additional anchor point. Has the Fisher cowl tag code for shoulder straps been investigated and deciphered?

Last edited by Tri-Carb; February 13th, 2022 at 05:29 AM.
Old February 13th, 2022, 06:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Tri-Carb
(I have no idea whether Olds ever offered a custom versus a standard or base interior trim. Buick did.)
At Olds it was "base" vs "deluxe". The F85s got the base interior, the F85 Deluxe and Cutlass models got the Deluxe interior. You could order the deluxe interior on a base F85 as an option.
Old February 13th, 2022, 08:06 AM

For the 66-67 model year some GM brands like Buick put letters at the end of the cowl tag numerical trim code to denote more information about the interior. For example, the letter C was used where custom versus a base interior trim was available. (I have no idea whether Olds ever offered a custom versus a standard or base interior trim. Buick did.) I think Buick used an S for standard interior whereas in 66 442 Olds used an S on the cowl tag for bucket seat headrests. You would think the Fisher construction codes would interchange among the divisions but maybe not.

Somewhere around 66-67 a shoulder belt harnesses became optional which required an additional anchor point. Has the Fisher cowl tag code for shoulder straps been investigated and deciphered?
In 66, the cars which got shoulder belt anchors had a physical hole punched in the tag up there where that letter is, very top, 2/3rds to the right. In 67, all non-convertibles got the anchors for shoulder belts, whether you got the option or not, so there is no indication of their presence as it is assumed.
Old February 13th, 2022, 08:12 AM

The web site Wild About Cars publishes a 65 factory document identifying body trim codes.

At the bottom are the trim tag codes for seat types.

B is strato bucket seats. S is strato bucket seats with head rests, etc. The real puzzle may simply be why these were not set forth on every cowl tag.

Last edited by Tri-Carb; February 13th, 2022 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Addition
Old February 13th, 2022, 09:14 AM

This is why I have that link in my signature.
Old February 13th, 2022, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
In 66, the cars which got shoulder belt anchors had a physical hole punched in the tag up there where that letter is, very top, 2/3rds to the right. In 67, all non-convertibles got the anchors for shoulder belts, whether you got the option or not, so there is no indication of their presence as it is assumed.
Since the anchors were in place by 67, I was thinking more about the shoulder belts themselves. If Fisher made some provision on their end for those to be installed, perhaps a Fisher code was needed to identify those cars for which that option was selected for 67. Maybe it related to a cap for the access hole to the anchor for example.

Since I tossed this shoulder belt possibility on the table for discussion, I thought about one of my own cars having the S code in the same location as the OP's B code. This led me to suspect that these letters were used by Fisher to denote seat options. Thus my publication of the the 65 factory document, above, for an alternate discussion. What was Fisher's need to know about a Strato bucket car with head rest restraints? I can see the need to know general seat track information like buckets versus bench.

Last edited by Tri-Carb; February 13th, 2022 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old February 13th, 2022, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by 66SportCoupe
It's not premature to say that! I will say that for those that have some information on that particular letter can discern a factory W30 car from a letter placed in that area of cowl tag. At least in 1967 you can.
What letter on the cowl tag would show the W30 option in 1967?
Old February 13th, 2022, 07:51 PM

Since the anchors were in place by 67, I was thinking more about the shoulder belts themselves. If Fisher made some provision on their end for those to be installed, perhaps a Fisher code was needed to identify those cars for which that option was selected for 67. Maybe it related to a cap for the access hole to the anchor for example.

Since I tossed this shoulder belt possibility on the table for discussion, I thought about one of my own cars having the S code in the same location as the OP's B code. This led me to suspect that these letters were used by Fisher to denote seat options. Thus my publication of the the 65 factory document, above, for an alternate discussion. What was Fisher's need to know about a Strato bucket car with head rest restraints? I can see the need to know general seat track information like buckets versus bench.
Z in the 5th group is front seat shoulder belts. Fisher would need to know which seat went in the car because they put them in.
Old February 14th, 2022, 07:20 AM

My 67 C/S Bucket seat car (no head rests) has an “E” above the “Body Paint” words on the right side of the cowl tag. Maybe the “B” above Lansing was just not stamped in the correct location? And should be above Body Paint.

Does your car have Bucket seats with headrests?
Old March 10th, 2022, 10:06 PM

Old March 10th, 2022, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by brianbeez67
My 67 C/S Bucket seat car (no head rests) has an “E” above the “Body Paint” words on the right side of the cowl tag. Maybe the “B” above Lansing was just not stamped in the correct location? And should be above Body Paint.

Does your car have Bucket seats with headrests?
no headrest