General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

67 Automatic shifter cable

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2018, 05:42 PM

67 Automatic shifter cable

Has anyone ever had to adjust the shifter cable on a 67 4-4-2 that has an Edelbrock card and intake manifold installed ?
I am having trouble adjusting my shifter cable to function correctly. The only way the start circuit will work is to forceably shove the shifter forward of the parking notch on the shifter. It has a new neutral safety switch and that did not correct the problem. I was told by a seasoned mechanic the the carb linkage is adjusted differently from the Quadrajet to the Edelbrock. Any one else had this issue ?
Thanks
i
Old August 21st, 2018, 06:33 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Keith, more information, you're confusing me/us.
Throttle linkage is seperate from trans shift cable. Do you have a console-shifted automatic or is it on the column? Ill assume you have bucket seats with a console shifter? If so NSS (neutral safety sw) adjustment is on the neutral safety switch on the console shifter. Or are you describing the transmission passing gear kick down? Is this a 2 or 3 speed auto trans?
Old August 21st, 2018, 06:35 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Keith Jones
Has anyone ever had to adjust the shifter cable on a 67 4-4-2 that has an Edelbrock card and intake manifold installed ?
I am having trouble adjusting my shifter cable to function correctly. The only way the start circuit will work is to forceably shove the shifter forward of the parking notch on the shifter. It has a new neutral safety switch and that did not correct the problem. I was told by a seasoned mechanic the the carb linkage is adjusted differently from the Quadrajet to the Edelbrock. Any one else had this issue ?
Thanks
i
The carb linkage has exactly nothing to do with the shifter cable or the NSS. First, be sure the cable is adjusted properly. There is a slotted hole where the cable attaches to the arm on the trans. Put the trans and shifter in PARK, loosen the nut, and adjust as needed. Tighten the nut. Once you do that, remove the console and adjust the NSS on the shifter.
Old August 22nd, 2018, 05:04 AM

A dollar and this will buy a coffee, but whoever put carb and intake on probably messed with too many things and threw it out.

Your throttle linkage, in addition to controlling the carb, activates the kick down and the switch pitch converter. Considering that wide open is fairly easy to adjust, there may have been shenanigans with the torque converter pitch adjust and then stuff messed with accordingly. Olds had the switch pitch sit in high at idle (to avoid creep), low in off idle and primary (for responsive low rpm take off), and high throttle was high pitch (to allow spooling up.) It could well be that the new carb made it in low at idle, or high at part throttle, neither of which is awesome.
Old August 22nd, 2018, 06:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Koda
A dollar and this will buy a coffee, but whoever put carb and intake on probably messed with too many things and threw it out.

Your throttle linkage, in addition to controlling the carb, activates the kick down and the switch pitch converter. Considering that wide open is fairly easy to adjust, there may have been shenanigans with the torque converter pitch adjust and then stuff messed with accordingly. Olds had the switch pitch sit in high at idle (to avoid creep), low in off idle and primary (for responsive low rpm take off), and high throttle was high pitch (to allow spooling up.) It could well be that the new carb made it in low at idle, or high at part throttle, neither of which is awesome.
That is all true, but it still has nothing to do with the shift cable or NSS.
Old August 22nd, 2018, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
That is all true, but it still has nothing to do with the shift cable or NSS.
I did not claim it to be such.
Old August 22nd, 2018, 05:31 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Koda
I did not claim it to be such.
The OP was told that somehow the E-brock carb required a different adjustment procedure related to his NSS problem. Your post unintentionally added to that confusion.