General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

66 Starfire at Mecum Kissimmee Aug. 27th

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2020, 02:56 PM

66 Starfire at Mecum Kissimmee Aug. 27th

Do you guys know any of the history on this 66 Starfire going on the block at Mecum Kissimmee Aug.27th LOT T102 ?
https://www.mecum.com/lots/FA0820-43...bile-starfire/
Thanks.
Old July 26th, 2020, 03:58 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I don't know anything about it but it is a very nice car. I don't understand the Toronado front wheel drive option and the fender skirt listing. They also list sequential tail lights. That does look like a Toronado steering wheel. Did the Starfire and Toronado have the same steering wheel?
Old July 26th, 2020, 06:28 PM

Glen those are good points, looks like possibly they checked off a few wrong things on the listing check list-no front wheel drive and no fender skirts. However that is the correct Starfire steering wheel. I need another car like a hole in the head! But some of auctions, buyers are doing pretty good right now-buyers market. Besides the virus and all, seems like for 3 years now that the interest for these olds cars are fading. I'm looking for an upholstery shop in the area to install the interior and make the seat in the same pattern as the new front bucket seats. I went over to Morris in Mesquite last week have not heard back from them yet about the estimate. Going to call Ray's on Plano Road few blocks north of Miller tomorrow. Anybody else you would recommend please let me know. Thanks Glen..
Old July 26th, 2020, 07:50 PM

Ray's is good. Last time I was they were very busy...but, long lead times. I hear that Mr. C's in Garland, is good. The shop in Rowlett was expensive but, moved pretty quick. Not sure they are still around though.

Old July 26th, 2020, 07:54 PM

It is a very nice Oldsmobile. What is a ribbon speedometer?
Old July 26th, 2020, 09:15 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Ray's is really good, They did all the interior and top on my 54 and a top on a Cutlass years ago. Talk to Henry who was Ray's son. Ray passed away years ago. I have never really heard anybody unhappy with Ray's. Henry is a character. Tell him I recommended him so he better not make me look bad. He is a good guy.
By the way, Ray's moved and is no longer north of Miller. They are still on Plano Road but south of Miller almost to 625 on the west side of Plano Road. They are next door to Texas Handgun Academy.

Last edited by redoldsman; July 26th, 2020 at 09:18 PM.
Old July 26th, 2020, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by mrolds69
It is a very nice Oldsmobile. What is a ribbon speedometer?
This car does not have one. We are familiar with normal "needle" speedometers. The Toronado had a rolling "drum" speedo with a stationary mark.

A ribbon speedometer was a early 60s piece of awesomeness that took a rectangular "across the dash" speedo, and had a moving ribbon that would advance along the numbers, and "change" colors by putting another color insert in front. Green was from slow to 30, orange to 65, then red there on. I have heard that it went black again at 120. Here is a video.

Old July 27th, 2020, 05:09 AM

I remember that! Seems I was in some family member's car...standing on the backseat floorboard to see it.
Old July 27th, 2020, 06:49 AM

Ill run over to Ray's maybe today. Long lead time for me is okay ( as long as I know) Ill ask for Henry.
Old July 27th, 2020, 08:37 AM

Thanks for that info, Koda. I've seen lots of different speedos and tachs in my life. I've seen speedos similar to the video you posted, but never realized they changed colors. too. There's always something new to learn...
Old July 27th, 2020, 09:08 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I believe Buick used one of those speedometers in the early 60's. I think it had a buzzer you could set to warn when you exceeded the selected speed.
Old July 27th, 2020, 10:49 AM

I remember the 1960 Olds ribbon speedometer. If I recall correctly, the "buzzer" was set by a **** at a certain speed and I thought it was called "Safety Sentinel" and was an option.
Old July 29th, 2020, 11:56 AM

Update: register to bid on Mecum and dropping the F-85 off next week at Ray's Thanks guys...
Old July 29th, 2020, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by therobski
Update: register to bid on Mecum and dropping the F-85 off next week at Ray's Thanks guys...
Ray's will do you good and good luck on Mecum.
Old July 29th, 2020, 12:47 PM

Thanks KW5413 its a 66 Starfire goes on the block. a 66 is not my number 1 choice but we shall see. I really prefer a 65 or a 62 both convertibles with A/C. or hardtops with the right options and colors....65 Jetstar 1 to if there's any around..
Old August 9th, 2020, 07:51 AM

The pictures don’t match the description. It’s a repainted ‘66 Starfire with A/C and the ‘66 tilt & telescoping column. AM radio. Nice looking, modestly optioned ‘66 S/F. One circuit master cylinder means the original 4 wheel drum brakes are probably still there. 14 X 6 factory wheels with the factory turbine hubcaps. As built.

The speedo is neither ribbon nor ‘66 Toronado drum, just the regular old 65-66 big car speedo without the Speed Minder feature. I didn’t see any fender skirts, which wouldn’t have been factory anyway. If some one put sequential taillights in there, they’d have to put some electronics in, there are only 2 bulbs on each side. It’s doable, but usually stuff like that is found in & among a large number of more obvious custom touches.

My take is this is a probably a decent unmolested car. These just didn’t get wrung out and and killed by earlier owners like a lot of more popular cars so they pop up now & again in really decent condition for a 54 year old car. Good project probably, or fun driver.

It looks like 1 person took the pictures and another person wrote the description. I’ll bet the writer could quote us chapter, book & verse on Camaros & Mustang options, but hasn’t come across too many ‘66 Starfires.

I hope I remember to tune in & see what it goes for. I agree with others who are feeling that the car market is probably soft.

cheers
cf
Old August 9th, 2020, 08:51 AM

There another real decent 66 Starfire at Auto Show case Tulsa. The white on white doesn't give me the look I want. I talked to them several times it's a decent buy at 16K. AC works too!. I have not seen a 66 with headrests. If that car had a red interior it's only 3.5 hour drive from Dallas I would go look at it. all in all the search continues for the right one...
Old August 13th, 2020, 12:05 PM

OPGI can get you headrests in a ‘66 Starfire

Just in process of installing headrests in my ‘66 Starfire. A while back I decided to put in ‘69 Strato Bucket reproduction seats mostly for the seat back locks, but also fresh foam and springs.

I’m using ‘69 Chevy buckets which are the same as Olds did in ‘66 from OPGI, but having the ‘66 Olds Starfire vinyl pattern sewn locally. Once I went that route, I figured why not headrests too?

The original and reproduction headrests are pretty stiff foam, so I’m still on the fence about the dyed foam as delivered vs. having my guy sew me up a couple of completely matching (and more comfortable) headrest covers.

For anyone following along, the upside here is ‘66 Starfire buckets had no seat locks so they will fold up on you in an accident. That was the impetus for the changeover. I looked for ‘67 seats, but couldn’t find complete stuff, the side button mechanism parts exists, but not all of them, or at least I didn’t find ‘em. The 1969 seat backs vs. 66 are a 2-3 inches taller, which I think will be safer, but the seat bottoms are a little taller too, putting my 5’10” head a little too close to the headliner.

I suspect the end of this project will be trying to reduce the height of the seat bottoms by 1-3 inches if possible.