General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

'66 442

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2012, 02:37 PM

'66 442

What should I be looking for to validate a true '66 442?

should I be looking for something specific on the cowl? Underneath the hood? Underneath the car? Interior?

I might be going to look at one very soon and any and all info on the 66's would be helpful. Thanks fellas.
Old March 20th, 2012, 02:55 PM

Should have E block 400 engine with B heads, boxed rear lower control arms. Should have 442 grill and emblems on quarters and trunk lid. Should have special front fenders with chrome rocket insert on sides. Can be 2 speed auto trans or 4 speed or 3 speed stick. Could even be 3 on the tree standard shift. Should have dash 442 emblem. Others can add more info...
Old March 20th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Ben

Originally Posted by dmcianfa
What should I be looking for to validate a true '66 442?

should I be looking for something specific on the cowl? Underneath the hood? Underneath the car? Interior?

I might be going to look at one very soon and any and all info on the 66's would be helpful. Thanks fellas.
There are others who can post specifics (and correct whatever i say thats wrong...)

The only way to be completely certain is

#1 if there is an original build sheet or Protectoplate

#2 if it was a Lansing built car, it will have 5VY on the bottom of the body tag on the firewall.

(ok one more) #3 clear owner history back to new that you can beleive/trust

Fremont cars did not have the code on the bodytag, but plenty off REAL 442s came from there too, but no real way to validate those as everything could have been added or swapped in the last 47 years, so its virtually impossible to tell for sure.

In 66 these items were specific to 442s from cutlasses

Tailgihts & bezels (cutlass taillights had 4 horizontal bars across them, 442s had none)

Trunk lip trim (OLDSMOBILE insteald of O-L-D-S-M-O-B-I-L-E)

Front fender side scoops (cutlasses did not get these)

Front grill is 442 specific (black aluminim w/ chrome center bar & rocket- Cutlasses got one with a wide center bar, 2 smaller bars above & below)

442s did not have hood spears- cutlasses did

442s would have a 442 emblem on the dashboard- cutlasses & f85's recived their own badges there

442s would have had a 400 engine originally.

Both automatics and 4spds were available in 442s
both bucket seats & bench seats were available in 442s
In 66 the frames were not specific to 442s (they were in 65s)

I think (and i may be wrong) all 442s DID recieve the rear swaybar & boxed arms, however this was also an option on cutlasses.

Cutlasses would have had a "cutlass" emblem on the quarter in front of the rear wheels... Although once painted & repaired properly likely could only be seen withh the rear interior panels out.

anyway... thats my short and possibly incorrect list of the differences...
Hopefully Run2Rund will reply, i'd count him as one of the key experts on 66's....

Last edited by RAMBOW; March 20th, 2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old March 20th, 2012, 03:28 PM

5V is the Lansing Fisher body code for 442 body modifications.

Frames were different, I believe they had the same holes in the rear control arm flange as the 64s and 65s.

If you verify the frame is a 442 frame and you can read the VIN stamp on it, you can confirm whether a Fremont 442 is a factory built 442.
Old March 20th, 2012, 07:51 PM

the rear control arm mounts will have three mount holes while the cutlass will only have one.

the frame should also have braces from the rear upper crossmember to the lower comtrol arm .
interior can be any options from bare bones bench seat heater delete,radio delete, 3 on the tree , to full deluxe a/c,fm radio,buckets with deluxe seat belts,console 4 speed with power windows and locks.
The engine must be 400 e block . and the front fenders will have the fake vents , look in the inside of the enders and see if there are mount tabs with a recesed area for the trim vents . the cutlass fenders would not have these and would be fakes .
Old March 20th, 2012, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by bigin1978
the rear control arm mounts will have three mount holes while the cutlass will only have one.

the frame should also have braces from the rear upper crossmember to the lower comtrol arm .
interior can be any options from bare bones bench seat heater delete,radio delete, 3 on the tree , to full deluxe a/c,fm radio,buckets with deluxe seat belts,console 4 speed with power windows and locks.
The engine must be 400 e block . and the front fenders will have the fake vents , look in the inside of the enders and see if there are mount tabs with a recesed area for the trim vents . the cutlass fenders would not have these and would be fakes .
They do not have frame braces on the control arm mounts. FM radio not offered on 66 A body Olds, nor were power door locks.
Henry