General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

66 442

Search this Thread

Old November 2nd, 2011, 08:18 PM

66 442

I am just getting into cars being only 16 years old and really like oldsmobiles and looking for a good project car. I found a 66 442 that was wrecked in 69 and has 32,000 origional miles. In the crash the frame was bent but can be fixed the fenders are trash and so is the front clip and the interior was stripped and motor and 4 speed trans in now gone. It is a triple black car and has no rust at all. The convertable top would need to be replaced also. Has the posi rear end still in it. Sorry for not having pics but would like to know if $3500 is reasonable or not. Thank you Zack
Old November 2nd, 2011, 11:46 PM

Just sounds like a lot of work... I mean a LOT of work. It would most likely be years before you get a chance to drive it. Are you ready for that kind of project? If you stay on the lookout, you can get a lot of car for that kind of money. You just have to be patient... Took me a year to find mine, and I'm glad I waited. Are you specific about the model and year?
Old November 3rd, 2011, 06:12 AM
Administrator

Welcome, always nice to get new blood, (literally) into the hobby! I would have to agree $3500 would buy a running car, that you can drive while you fix it up. It may not be a convertable, but you would enjoy it more.

Good luck!
Old November 3rd, 2011, 06:40 AM
Certifiable car addict...

I'd have to agree with the others here. $3500 is a lot of cash for a first project in that condition. The car very well may be worth that, (especially if was a rare optioned car) but it's going to take a LOT of work to get it back into running condition, let alone fully restored, either as a driver or showpiece.

If you could get information such as the VIN & cowl tags, it would provide better information on whether or not it's a rare beast and worth the time & money.

To get it driveable in the condition you described, be prepared to search all over the country chasing parts and spending at least another $5000-$10000 to get the frame, body/paint, interior work done.

Additionally, you'll really want to have indoor work space dedicated to it for several years at least. You don't want to tackle this kind of project without a garage at your disposal.

Not trying to dissuade you if that's what you really want to do, but trying to give you a realistic approach to it.

-Jeff
Old November 3rd, 2011, 09:51 AM

Yea, gotta agree, think your eyes are way bigger than reality. The car mentioned would be a tough project for anyone, let alone someone just starting out. Think I'd just get a reliable smaller car that gets decent fuel milage for now, as can always take on a project later.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 10:34 AM

3500...way too high. The good, posi, real 442 (better be sure) nice body. The bad, missing most everything else. Frame would be a big worry (make sure it can be fixed and at what cost). Then you have to hunt down all the correct parts to put it back the way it should be. This will cost major $$. Without a cash pile you are looking at many years till completion and projects like this go stale quickly. If you really want it do your homework.... I think 2 G's would be more in line and that may be a stretch.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 02:42 PM

When I was 16 the word "no" or "dont do it" didnt exist. If it were me Id buy it, maybe $2500. How often do you find a 66 442 4spd vert. IF ITS REAL its a rare find. But like others said could take years and over $15k just to make it descent, double that if you want a real sweet ride.

Last edited by Beob; November 3rd, 2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Beob
When I was 16 the word "no" or "dont do it" didnt exist. If it were me Id buy it, maybe $2500. How often do you find a 66 442 4spd vert. IF ITS REAL its a rare find. But like others said could take years and over $15k just to make it descent, double that if you want a real sweet ride.
It will be way more than $15k to make it decent!! When I was a teen the word no made me want to do it even more!! I hope in this case he heeds the advice, and buys something he won't be frustrated with that he can drive and repair as he has time and money!
Old November 4th, 2011, 11:52 PM

new owner of the 442

I did deceid to buy the car for 1700 and i feel i got a pretty good deal on the car. i would like to find out which options it would have but have not located a buildsheet where did they put them in these cars? It has been off the road since 69 and parked and right now the title is in the originals owners name so i will be the 2nd owner and has the original plates from 1966. I am not planning driving this car soon just collect parts and get to it eventually since i got a couple other project cars. I also got a couple daily drivers so that is not a concern of mine to get it running and driving and when its done its going to be done right
Old November 5th, 2011, 12:48 AM
Certifiable car addict...

it may not have a build sheet, but if you get all the info off the cowl tag on the firewall near the brake booster, the guru's here should be able to decode it for you.

Attach a pic of it if possible. Nice score for the price if it's a real 442!

-Jeff
Old November 5th, 2011, 04:39 AM
"me somebody" site member

Congrats on the purchase; here's something to aspire toL

Old November 5th, 2011, 06:10 AM

Dude, you are sick in the head, at 16 you need treatment quick else you will end up like the rest of us!!! Congrats and good luck.... dont let it go stale.... awesome car!
Old November 5th, 2011, 01:10 PM

i have been looking at the car some more and see it has a 12 bolt rear end is that common on these or was it a canadian made car. i beleive i read that canadian cars had 12 bolt chevy rear ends?
Old November 5th, 2011, 01:43 PM
"me somebody" site member

I think I recall that a 12 bolt cover (but 10 inch ring gear) rear was available in '66 late in the model year. What is the build date of your car (usually on the top left of the cowl tag on the firewall, might read something like "6D" or somesuch.