General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

64 starfire running very rich

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2017, 09:38 AM

64 starfire running very rich

I've been posting here and there about my 1964 starfire that has an electric fuel pump. The engine runs very rich, everywhere I go I leave two big black spots in the pavement. The fuel pump pictured is at the rear passenger side. For the time being I'm going to keep an electrical pump, but not sure if I should just get a regulator for this one, or buy one of the pumps suggested by summit racing/Rock auto. If I were to get a regulator for this specific pump, what should I get? If I get the pump suggested by the parts places, would it need a regulator as well. Also should I put in an additional filter before the pump? Other concerns are... I plan to either find a different gas tank, or get the current one restored, because it's leaky, especially if it has a half tank full or more. My concern is that there is sediment in the tank, and I wouldnt want to ruin a new pump. But from what I've read, the pump pictured, is pushing too much pressure. When I got the car, this electric pump was already installed.
Old June 11th, 2017, 10:00 AM
Phantom Phixer

My recommendation ;
Get your original pump rebuilt . Remove the tank and clean it . And ditch that electrical pump .

Last edited by Charlie Jones; June 11th, 2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old June 11th, 2017, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Your making a lot of assumptions but provide no facts. What fuel pressure is your pump providing at the carb? Carboned up exhaust system can be from a number of things, running rich is one of them. Like expressed above, pull the tank and see where its leaking, clean and repair, or replace. If there is one quality fuel filter in the system, your covered.
Old June 11th, 2017, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Your making a lot of assumptions but provide no facts. What fuel pressure is your pump providing at the carb? Carboned up exhaust system can be from a number of things, running rich is one of them. Like expressed above, pull the tank and see where its leaking, clean and repair, or replace. If there is one quality fuel filter in the system, your covered.
fuel pressure at the carb I do not know. However most of the pumps I've seen that look like this one, the specs say they put out 9 or 12 psi, something like that. But I'm understanding that it needs to be around 4 or 6 max? There is a little fuel present around the top of the carb. Makes me think that maybe the pump is a little much for it. There's no gage. I'm very much a learner here. Can I get a regulator/ gage?
Old June 11th, 2017, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
My recommendation ;
Get your original pump rebuilt . Remove the tank and clean it . And ditch that electrical pump .
. This is indeed the ultimate goal here. If I were to rebuild the original one, which is completely bypassed, could I still run with the electric setup while it is out? with the original pump system it looks as if I would have to reinstall a return line.
Old June 11th, 2017, 11:56 AM
Administrator

A vacuum gauge is also used as fuel pressure gauge.

Old June 11th, 2017, 04:47 PM

A vacuum gauge is also used as fuel pressure gauge.

forgive me I'm new st this, but how exactly does this work. Don't they attach to a regulator? How can I measure the pressure without a regulator. If I were to just add a regulator to what is already there, what should I get or not get?
Old June 11th, 2017, 08:58 PM
Phantom Phixer

Smile

Originally Posted by Hillbilllystarfire
. This is indeed the ultimate goal here. If I were to rebuild the original one, which is completely bypassed, could I still run with the electric setup while it is out? with the original pump system it looks as if I would have to reinstall a return line.
Yes , you can still run with the electric pump while the fuel pump is out . IF you either make or buy a block-off plate to cover the hole where the pump was . The return line can be temporarily disconnected and plugged . It is a good idea to re-plumb the return line , It may prevent "vapor lock " problems in hot weather .

E-Bay has many fuel pump rebuild kits available ;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLDSMOBILE-S...5Rl8qz&vxp=mtr

Spray carb cleaner is all you need to clean the parts with . It's not rocket science . I rebuilt my first one at age 14 , without any help .

Try your local radiator shops for gas tank repair , some do , some don't .

Last edited by Charlie Jones; June 11th, 2017 at 09:04 PM.
Old June 12th, 2017, 03:07 AM
Administrator

forgive me I'm new st this, but how exactly does this work. Don't they attach to a regulator? How can I measure the pressure without a regulator. If I were to just add a regulator to what is already there, what should I get or not get?
You don't know that in fact you need a regulator yet. All you need is a hose barb tee, some clamps, and the vacuum gauge. Tee into the rubber fuel line, turn on the fuel pump and see what your pressure is.

Old June 12th, 2017, 05:45 AM

You don't know that in fact you need a regulator yet. All you need is a hose barb tee, some clamps, and the vacuum gauge. Tee into the rubber fuel line, turn on the fuel pump and see what your pressure is.

oh ok so this thing would be spliced in somewhere closer to the carb?
Old June 12th, 2017, 06:45 AM
Administrator

oh ok so this thing would be spliced in somewhere closer to the carb?
Yes.
Old June 14th, 2017, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Yes , you can still run with the electric pump while the fuel pump is out . IF you either make or buy a block-off plate to cover the hole where the pump was . The return line can be temporarily disconnected and plugged . It is a good idea to re-plumb the return line , It may prevent "vapor lock " problems in hot weather .

E-Bay has many fuel pump rebuild kits available ;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLDSMOBILE-S...5Rl8qz&vxp=mtr

Spray carb cleaner is all you need to clean the parts with . It's not rocket science . I rebuilt my first one at age 14 , without any help .

Try your local radiator shops for gas tank repair , some do , some don't .
there are currently no lines going to the old pump. There is no return line. Only an in line straight to the carb. She has gotten a little fussy on some of these hot days especially if I stop and then have to go up a hill. She sputtered and shot out a good cloud yesterday, I'd never seen that. But otherwise does good. Tomorrow I'm going to call some radiator places about the gas tank, and really focus my attention on the fuel system.

Last edited by Hillbilllystarfire; June 14th, 2017 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Left out info
Old June 25th, 2017, 12:11 PM

Yes.
Fuel pressure checks in once it gets warmed up to 7.75 to 8 psi. I'm thinking that's too high? Service manual says 6. There's also no return line. should I get a regulator for now and see how it effects things?
Old June 25th, 2017, 12:54 PM
Administrator

You can get a 4.5-9# adjustable inline regulator for around $30. Read the rating comments so you don't buy junk.