General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

63 Starfire Part Number Help!

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2011, 03:34 PM

63 Starfire Part Number Help!

I do not have a parts book for this car yet, can anyone help with the original GM part numbers for the front and rear brake drums?
Old April 29th, 2011, 05:58 AM

On my 63 starfire the front drum is 35324. Haven't checked the rear.
Old April 29th, 2011, 07:25 AM

Thanks. Do you know a source for correct replacement drums?
Old April 29th, 2011, 07:36 AM

Can't help you on that one. I know the big parts warehouses like Kanter/USAparts don't have em. Anyone?
Old April 29th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Certifiable car addict...

might try here. I know Kanter was mentioned above, but here's a link

http://www.kanter.com/drumroto.html#OLDS

Hopefully that helps!

-Jeff
Old April 29th, 2011, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Don R.
I do not have a parts book for this car yet, can anyone help with the original GM part numbers for the front and rear brake drums?
The Rr. Brake Drum # is 588142 and that covers '59-'63, and it supersedes part #583112. Your Starfire, #'s for that car is 383026 and it covers '63 Starfire, and '64 "98' Super 88 Dynamic 88, and Jetstar.
The part # for your front brake drum assembly is 588074 right side, and 588075 left side. those numbers are applicable for all '62-'63 Oldsmobiles regardless of Body styles.
The only difference between left and right assemblies is the Wheel Studs are either left hand thread or right hand thread.
I don't think any of this information is going to help you locate Drums, because all drums out there are after market, but this is what you asked for, so take it for what it is worth......

Last edited by chequenman; April 29th, 2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old April 29th, 2011, 11:41 AM

Good info gti guru and chequenman. I could only find #35324 stamped on my drum. Good to know you can find aftermarket drums, couldn't find it in Kanters online catalog myself.
Old April 29th, 2011, 01:22 PM

Kanter does list replacement drums for the 63 Starfire. The reason I was asking about part numbers was that I bought 4 new drums from them, but what I got was nowhere near what I needed. The original drums are composite construction and have that large curved "lip" at the back. The ones they sent me were solid cast iron, weighed a ton, and did not work. They physically fit on the hubs but the center part was almost 1/4" thick, when you put the wheel on the nuts only went part way on the studs and the center hole did not touch the center hub at all. On top of that the front drums did not have the curved part, instead it was a solid built up edge, the 14" wheels hit that and would not go on all the way. When I complained they asked for part numbers to see if they had sent the wrong drums. Turns out these are the only drums they can supply so I will send them back and get a refund. I took my old drums in to be cut and was worried they would'nt have the meat but they turned out OK so I will reuse them after all.
Old April 29th, 2011, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Don R.
Kanter does list replacement drums for the 63 Starfire. The reason I was asking about part numbers was that I bought 4 new drums from them, but what I got was nowhere near what I needed. The original drums are composite construction and have that large curved "lip" at the back. The ones they sent me were solid cast iron, weighed a ton, and did not work. They physically fit on the hubs but the center part was almost 1/4" thick, when you put the wheel on the nuts only went part way on the studs and the center hole did not touch the center hub at all. On top of that the front drums did not have the curved part, instead it was a solid built up edge, the 14" wheels hit that and would not go on all the way. When I complained they asked for part numbers to see if they had sent the wrong drums. Turns out these are the only drums they can supply so I will send them back and get a refund. I took my old drums in to be cut and was worried they would'nt have the meat but they turned out OK so I will reuse them after all.

That's what I meant about what is available and that is there is only aftermarket drums around and they don't meet up to their claims!!!