General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

62 Starfire Help!!

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2016, 06:37 PM

62 Starfire Help!!

Hey Everybody..
I just got a 62 Starfire back on the road... ran fine for about 2 weeks... then driving one day had a hard start.. got it going again then the next day started her up and after about 5-10 seconds of idling she just dies..starts back up and does the same exact thing. I got gas, new fuel pump, timing is correct, new plugs wires cap rotor and coil. Carb got adjusted still dies after a 5 seconds or so... anybody have any ideas.. kinda stumped!! Thanks
Old June 27th, 2016, 07:48 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Check all your fuel line hoses, especially those back near the tank. There could be one that is cracked and sucking air. This is a pretty common problem. After it dies, have you taken the air cleaner off and moved the throttle to see it is spraying any gas inside the carb?
Old June 28th, 2016, 07:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Check all your fuel line hoses, especially those back near the tank. There could be one that is cracked and sucking air. This is a pretty common problem. After it dies, have you taken the air cleaner off and moved the throttle to see it is spraying any gas inside the carb?
This is the first thing I'd also check. Also, did you drop the gas tank and clean it? After sitting, there us usually rust or crud in the thank. This gets sucked up against the inlet sock when running, causing the engine to die, then falls away once the engine stops.
Old June 28th, 2016, 07:59 AM

Will be checking fuel lines, dropping and cleaning the tank today... let you guys know what happens... much appreciated!
Old July 30th, 2016, 09:48 AM

Update on my 62 starfire stalling issue... so as i was checking gas lines before getting ready to drop the tank and noticed that the previous owner had re routed the vent line that runs to the filler compartment and plugged it. Couldnt understand why someone would do that then a friend mentioned maybe to prevent spilling from overfilling... whatever the case i ran the vent line back to the original breather filter next to the filler, put some gas in and fired right up!... been driving it around a week or so now with no problems so far... Thanks for the heads up with the tank/lines insight.

Check your lines if your having similar symptoms... Much Appreciated guys Thanks Again
Old July 30th, 2016, 09:59 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Glad we could help. I love 62 Starfires and would love to see some pictures of your car.