General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

59 Olds Carrying Candidate Nixon 1960

Old January 12th, 2019, 05:00 PM

59 Olds Carrying Candidate Nixon 1960

I was rummaging through some old family photos and stumbled across this taken by dad in 1960 in Fort Wayne, IN. Thought I'd share.

(At least I think its a '59.....this was before my time...….barely)

Last edited by JohnnyBs68S; January 12th, 2019 at 05:02 PM.
Old January 12th, 2019, 06:48 PM
Phantom Phixer

Dick Nixon …….. kinda reminds me of a president we have today .

Yes , that is a '59 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight convertible .
Also pictured ( L to R ) are a '57 Chevy , '60 Pontiac , '53 Oldsmobile , and a '59 Mercury .
Old January 13th, 2019, 06:10 PM

Thanks for the confirmation.
BTW, I love the (pseudo-) quote in your sig...…. the space race in the '60s left a huge impression on me growing up. It ended up influencing my career choice too.
Old January 13th, 2019, 06:41 PM
Oh no, not again...

Well, we know where Dick ended up, wonder what happened to the car? Wouldn't it be something if it was sitting in a barn somewhere...

Yeah, that 53 Olds caught my eye, it's just like mine. And I know mine never was there, it never left Canada.
Old January 14th, 2019, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Dick Nixon …….. kinda reminds me of a president we have today .

Yes , that is a '59 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight convertible .
Also pictured ( L to R ) are a '57 Chevy , '60 Pontiac , '53 Oldsmobile , and a '59 Mercury .
I think you mean the Last President Barrack Huessein Obama! We all know what a P** he was and still is!
Old January 14th, 2019, 06:46 PM

I'll bet the 1959 had a better life than the 1967 Delmont that ended in the drink with a dead woman in it.
Old January 14th, 2019, 10:18 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by GoodOldsGuyDougie
I think you mean the Last President Barrack Huessein Obama!
Wrong ! I meant just what I said . Nixon thought he was above the law , and could do things his way regardless . Just like #45 .
That being said , I was never a big fan of Obama either .

Old January 15th, 2019, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Wrong ! I meant just what I said . Nixon thought he was above the law , and could do things his way regardless . Just like #45 .
That being said , I was never a big fan of Obama either .
FDR had his political opponents wiretapped and used the IRS to bludgeon them, in ways that would make Lois Lerner blush like a little girl. Many of his successors did similar things. Nixon didn't have the protection of a friendly media.

Last edited by bw1339; January 15th, 2019 at 05:12 AM.
Old January 15th, 2019, 04:47 AM

Geez, next time remind me to post a pic edited like this:

:rolleyes

Last edited by JohnnyBs68S; January 15th, 2019 at 04:52 AM.
Old January 15th, 2019, 09:50 AM

Johnny, I still appreciated the pic of the '59. Thank you. The first thing I noticed was the body style, the second was the hub caps. I had a '59 Olds station wagon many, many years ago.
Old January 15th, 2019, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by bw1339
FDR had his political opponents wiretapped and used the IRS to bludgeon them, in ways that would make Lois Lerner blush like a little girl. Many of his successors did similar things. Nixon didn't have the protection of a friendly media.
So True on your post, as always, the otherside is always happy to look the other way from there personal choices and all of there illegal activities while in office. You could write War and peace length volumes on every one them. And another one FDR tried was to expand the Supreme court illegally so he could stack it with his Leftie croonies. Should have got him impeached..

JohnnyBs68S-Thank you for posting that great picture to start the thread.It's a really cool time capsule. I love these type of pictures. I am sorry if I in anyway helped derail the thread..

Last edited by GoodOldsGuyDougie; January 15th, 2019 at 10:15 AM.
Old January 15th, 2019, 01:12 PM

Its all good, 'yall. Being a relative newbie here, I certainly didn't intend to prompt any political discourse, there's already too much of that outside of CO and I respect CO's policy to avoid political and religious discussions here. Years ago I was a member on another car site like this and they had a section dedicated to political and religious discussions. I can throw down as good as anyone and I left some sizable knots on many heads there, including the moderators. However, after realizing the majority of my posts there were in that section discussing politics rather than cars, I left and never went back. Its too exhausting and time consuming and life is too short to agonize over crap like that. Besides, I wasn't getting paid for my time like the talking heads that pollute the air waves.

In my search of my dad's old photos (some dating back to the '30s) I found pictures with glimpses of many other old rides. My dad owned a '48 Plymouth, and '58 Chevy wagon (which I do remember as a child), a '62 Sedan DeVille, a '74 Pontiac Ventura (not to mention my '68 Cutlass). Grandpa was apparently buying new wagons and sedans every couple of years: '56 Chevy wagon, '57 Chevy sedan, a '59 Chevy sedan (none of which I remember), '62 Chevy Impala 'vert, a '66 Impala wagon and a '66 Impala sedan, '67 Coupe DeVille and a '71 Impala coupe. I do remember riding in the '62 'vert, and when grandpa was reaching the age where he couldn't drive (about the time I got my license), I remember driving his '67 CDV to take him to his doctors appointments. That car made me feel like I was Elvis! The '66 Impala sedan was eventually passed down to one of my HS friends and I have many fond memories in it (was involved in my first accident while riding in the back - un-belted - around the age of 12). I also remember dad, who inherited the '66 Impala wagon from gramps, getting it air-born not once, but twice crossing a highly banked divided highway trying to beat a yellow light. I did my first brake-job on the rear of that '66 wagon around the age of 10. Between dad's '48 Plymouth and the '96 Crown Vic he purchased later in retirement, we were a faithful GM family.

Last edited by JohnnyBs68S; January 15th, 2019 at 01:18 PM.