General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

57 Rocket 88 where to find parts

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2015, 05:32 PM

57 Rocket 88 where to find parts

Hello all. I'm working with my uncle to replace parts that were "stolen" (according to the body shop owner who conveniently owns a partially restored 57 Oldsmobile) while his Rocket 88 was at a body shop. Some of the parts missing include one of the two covers by the tail lights that has the "88" emblem, the chrome bases and attaching hardware for the wipers (we have both arms) but nothing to screw onto the pivots. Also missing both door armrests, and whatever fills the gap between the windshield and dashboard. When you look through the windshield, you can see behind the dash.

I'm assuming that some of these parts are not Oldsmobile specific, but I am still researching to figure out what parts will cross-reference with a Pontiac, etc. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old June 1st, 2015, 06:38 AM

You might try Fusick for the emblems other than that it's doubtful you will find anything that will cross over , 57 was a one year only body style for Oldsmobile. You might keep a eye out on Ebay for someone parting out a 57.

But why are you looking for parts the body shop should be responsible for the lost parts and it sounds like he has a car that should fit the bill very well..Tedd
Old June 1st, 2015, 09:40 PM

Hey thank you. I'll give them a try. The body shop closed so we had to remove our partially completed vehicle. Our car went there whole, but needing paint. It was completly disasembled by ther shop. I believe the owner kept some our parts to finish his own vehicle. I cant prove it, but I know that his own car was missing pieces.

So you're saying that the 57 Rocket 88 was a unique platform from any other GM vehicle of that year? This is going to be HUGE pain in the behind! I know the 70's and 80's Oldsmobiles quite well...but 50's Olds are all Greek to me! I do appreciate your help tho. Thanks
Old June 2nd, 2015, 09:33 PM

Yes, sheet metal was a one year thing , but hard parts were shared with other years. Motors and suspension were shared with 58. But if all you need is trim and garnish those parts do come up on Ebay every now and then. What are your needs you might post them on the parts wanted forum someone here with a parts car could probably help you out...Tedd