General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

'55 locks, what other years or GM suit??

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2009 | 04:05 AM

'55 locks, what other years or GM suit??

I really need help.

My old man lost the keys to my super 88. I only have one set of keys. luckily the car was unlocked in the shed. but, its going for its gas convesion on tuesday and I need to get into the trunk. let alone start it. I know I can hotwire it but at the end of the day I need keys.

I can get a full set from Fusick but they wont arrive intime. Just wondering if anyone knows what other years Olds or GM will interchange so that I have other options.

will get a locksmith to come onsite tomorrow and try and cut keys, but failing that I need a plan B.

anyone?
Old May 10th, 2009 | 08:47 AM
Geezer

Those old lock cylinders were all made by Briggs-Stratton and are very easily picked. I've done it without the use of locksmith type picks with nothing more than a jeweler's screwdriver. I stumbled onto a very small diameter long shaft common screwdriver years ago that works virtually every time with old Briggs lock cylinders. All one has to do is get the blade back far enough in the lock to in essence bypass the function of the cylinder. Hopes this helps, locksmiths can get pricey when they have to travel even short distances.

As far as the ignition goes, you can probably pick up a new correct switch with key from any parts house that has Standard ignition products. It will be less than the locksmith will charge and better than hot wiring.

Last edited by Texascarnut; May 10th, 2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old May 10th, 2009 | 08:48 AM

your car uses a standard GM blank. Your locksmith should have no problem with this
Old May 10th, 2009 | 09:23 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

You could go to most any parts store and get a generic ignition switch with terminals with screws on it and use it. They are pretty cheap and would be a lot less than a locksmith. When you new switch comes in from Fusick put it in and go back to original. One other possibility would be to pull you switch and take it to a locksmith and get them to see if they can cut a key for it. Still would be cheaper than a housecall from the locksmith. The switch is pretty easy to get out.
Old May 10th, 2009 | 09:33 AM
Geezer

Originally Posted by redoldsman
You could go to most any parts store and get a generic ignition switch with terminals with screws on it and use it. They are pretty cheap and would be a lot less than a locksmith. When you new switch comes in from Fusick put it in and go back to original. One other possibility would be to pull you switch and take it to a locksmith and get them to see if they can cut a key for it. Still would be cheaper than a housecall from the locksmith. The switch is pretty easy to get out.

This is what is needed and is around $20

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # US22L {IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER with keys}

It is real easy to get the switch out of the dash and replace the cylinder.
Old May 10th, 2009 | 09:41 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If you were local you could come by and I would give you the one I took out of my friends 54 and give it to you. I replaced it with one from Fusicks.
Old May 10th, 2009 | 01:39 PM

Thanks all,

Unfortunately there is no such thing as standard GM locks here as Im in Australia. that would be HOLDEN. Which may or may not fit. Don't know , I'm not actually into GM cars, Just like my Olds!

But thats as good a place to start as any. I have a mate who has a few GM cars that may be able to help with the above info. Unless the keys suddenly turn up in the next 24 hours will have to call the locksmith for some of the locks.

I know the keys will turn up, but guessing it will be in about 3 years time...
Old May 10th, 2009 | 07:22 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Being that you are in Australia, I am guessing you are not going to stop by and pick up the one I offered for free.

Good luck with this and let us know how it turned out.
Old May 10th, 2009 | 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Being that you are in Australia, I am guessing you are not going to stop by and pick up the one I offered for free.

Good luck with this and let us know how it turned out.
Yes, the airfare may make it a bit unreasonable. But thank you for the offer.

the locksmith has been called, as with my roadside assist, I get $250 worth of locksmith work, so that should make a dent in the overall bill.

Just hope they don't send some numbnut out who will scratch his head at not having seen a car like this before.