General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

54-56 owners unite!

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2019, 06:28 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Jay:

Your car will serve as motivation. That is still a great looking car with the blue wheels (just had to say that). I hope all is well after losing you Dad. You have to have some great memories.

Glenn
Old September 2nd, 2019, 06:32 PM

Wink Nice colors!

Originally Posted by Rocket331
The color/trim codes indicate

it had a Polar White top over a Capri Blue body, just the opposite of mine, and has blue interior trim. Hiding within the patina is a sweet looking Olds.
Thank you!

That is a sweet color combo! When it comes time for paint and interior I will definitely bring these back with it!
Old September 3rd, 2019, 01:46 PM
dwl

Olds ID

Hope this helps

Don L
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Olds ID.pdf (1.69 MB, 28 views)
Old September 3rd, 2019, 03:06 PM

Indeed

Originally Posted by dwl
Hope this helps

Don L

Indeed it does! Appreciate the ID pdf Don!
Old September 5th, 2019, 09:37 PM
Phantom Phixer

Just to add to the info already supplied .
The trim code # 83 is listed as , Dark blue nylon cloth "bolster" and light blue orlon pin striped cloth .
Old September 19th, 2019, 10:32 PM

55 Olds 88

Old September 20th, 2019, 02:34 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Very nice car^^^^^^^ More pictures please!
Old September 20th, 2019, 10:30 AM

Old September 20th, 2019, 10:35 AM

My 55 88 has the factory rubber/vinyl floor matting in place of carpet. I've had no luck locating replacement for this. Anyone had any success in this? Thanks much
Old September 22nd, 2019, 08:44 PM

Hi Dhimme,

This is John, I saw the picts of your car, and for a second thought it was mine. I also have a 55 Super 88, but in green.

I see you have WA plates, are you in WA? I am in Portland, OR, and would like to meet you if you are interested in getting together.

I recently picked up a set of original floor carpets for mine. I think it was the only one they had, but can tell you more about it if you are interested. If so, shoot me a private message and I will give you my phone number.
John in Portland, OR
Old August 8th, 2020, 01:15 PM
dwl

51 NSRA today 8-8-20

sunny day at NSRA Nationals
Don L
Old December 1st, 2020, 01:30 PM

I picked up a 1954 98 a few months back:

Old December 1st, 2020, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Thee Nocount
I picked up a 1954 98 a few months back:

Nice looking car. Is that Glade Green and Sarasota White?
Old December 1st, 2020, 02:11 PM

Congratulations! Nice car!
Old December 26th, 2020, 07:21 PM

I have a freshly rebuilt jetaway for my 1956 4 door 88. I was wondering what the original color of the transmission was In the 1956 models.

Also I am repainting the valve covers, what is the best way to repaint the stamped “Oldsmobile rocket” letters yellow, and what is the correct shade of yellow called?
Old December 26th, 2020, 09:03 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Fusick has decals for the valve covers. Mine have held up very well. Use soapy water in a spray bottle to put them on. I did not clear coat mine.
Old December 27th, 2020, 11:21 AM
74 2.8L Capri

Originally Posted by Ihatefiberglass
Also I am repainting the valve covers, what is the best way to repaint the stamped “Oldsmobile rocket” letters yellow, and what is the correct shade of yellow called?
I used 3M fine line tape. Just tape over the area, then use an Xacto knife to cut along the raised letters. It turned out very well. I believe the Fusick letters are vinyl letters, which are ok, but I prefer the paint. Home Depot had a Rustoleum medium yellow engine paint that is very close. It's a little brighter than OEM, but I'm betting no one will notice.

Old December 27th, 2020, 01:01 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Turned out very nice. An old acquaintance of mine once told me they actually did the originals with rollers at the factory. I can believe it since there is no way they had the time to hand paint these things.
Old December 28th, 2020, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by DFitz
I used 3M fine line tape. Just tape over the area, then use an Xacto knife to cut along the raised letters. It turned out very well. I believe the Fusick letters are vinyl letters, which are ok, but I prefer the paint. Home Depot had a Rustoleum medium yellow engine paint that is very close. It's a little brighter than OEM, but I'm betting no one will notice.
Wow yeah, that looks very sharp. I too prefer paint over the letters. The decals Fusick sells do no look quite right in their picture. The color looks way off. Is that the original Oldsmobile green engine paint that Fusick sells?
Old December 28th, 2020, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Turned out very nice. An old acquaintance of mine once told me they actually did the originals with rollers at the factory. I can believe it since there is no way they had the time to hand paint these things.
If your acquaintance is still around, does he happen to recall the color the transmissions were painted?
Old December 28th, 2020, 06:52 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I lost contact with him. Sorry.
Old December 28th, 2020, 07:42 AM

I don't remember original transmissions having any paint on them just all natural metal and the yellow paint that I have found that matches the color on the valve covers is One Shot lettering enamel #130L primrose yellow. It can be found at auto supply houses that carry automotive paint products..... Tedd
Old December 28th, 2020, 08:07 AM
74 2.8L Capri

Originally Posted by Ihatefiberglass
Wow yeah, that looks very sharp. I too prefer paint over the letters. The decals Fusick sells do no look quite right in their picture. The color looks way off. Is that the original Oldsmobile green engine paint that Fusick sells?
Yes, that's the green engine paint Fusick sells.
Old December 28th, 2020, 08:17 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I have found the paint from Fusick to be very close. Here is another source. Hirsch does not sell the Olds green in spray cans. I have used the quart cans and it is very good. Here is a link.

Engine Enamel Online | High Temp Engine Paint | Hirsch Auto-hirschauto.com
Old December 28th, 2020, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
I don't remember original transmissions having any paint on them just all natural metal and the yellow paint that I have found that matches the color on the valve covers is One Shot lettering enamel #130L primrose yellow. It can be found at auto supply houses that carry automotive paint products..... Tedd
Thanks Tedd, I’ll hunt down that yellow for sure.
Old December 28th, 2020, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I have found the paint from Fusick to be very close. Here is another source. Hirsch does not sell the Olds green in spray cans. I have used the quart cans and it is very good. Here is a link.

Engine Enamel Online | High Temp Engine Paint | Hirsch Auto-hirschauto.com
Wish I knew about that paint before I ordered 4 cans from Fusick. Will definitely get that in the future.
Old May 6th, 2022, 05:41 PM

New Member and Proud 56 owner!

Hello yall, owner of a 1956 88 here, she has a 324 with a jetaway hydra-matic

She came out of Michigan Initially, last owner married a woman from there. Had a family etc etc, and she bought him this car. The poor lady had passed and he didnt want to let the car just sit so we made a trade (he moved back to VA Beach after her passing) and here we are. A owner before him contacted me and told me the current rear bump came out a collapsed barn lol. I plan on getting the rust spots fixed and doing a epoxy primer (to hold me over til I put it back to factory or similar color), I already done a Front disc brake swap and plan on doing the rears.

The brake lines were done before I got it so thats a plus, about to get two more stock 80s/90s wheels (C series and squarebody, Astro van etc etc) so when I convert the rear, the calipers will clear. I know im drawing this out but thought id share, she still has the original radio (powers up but doesnt have output from speaker but will prob get it to work down the road). plan on stabilizing the quirks and just driving her where ever in VA (and beyond)

Nice to meet yall, plan on being on here quite a bit....

Old May 6th, 2022, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by stein10311
Hello yall, owner of a 1956 88 here, she has a 324 with a jetaway hydra-matic

She came out of Michigan Initially, last owner married a woman from there. Had a family etc etc, and she bought him this car. The poor lady had passed and he didnt want to let the car just sit so we made a trade (he moved back to VA Beach after her passing) and here we are. A owner before him contacted me and told me the current rear bump came out a collapsed barn lol. I plan on getting the rust spots fixed and doing a epoxy primer (to hold me over til I put it back to factory or similar color), I already done a Front disc brake swap and plan on doing the rears.

The brake lines were done before I got it so thats a plus, about to get two more stock 80s/90s wheels (C series and squarebody, Astro van etc etc) so when I convert the rear, the calipers will clear. I know im drawing this out but thought id share, she still has the original radio (powers up but doesnt have output from speaker but will prob get it to work down the road). plan on stabilizing the quirks and just driving her where ever in VA (and beyond)

Nice to meet yall, plan on being on here quite a bit....

Nice picture, not sure about the bumper story, it came out of Saint Claire Shores.
Old January 25th, 2023, 09:49 PM
madmax442.com

Just bought this '55 Super 88 Holiday Sedan! Still waiting on the carrier to deliver it to me from L.A. Should get it next week.

Old January 26th, 2023, 04:54 AM

Man, that's Super nice!!!
Old January 26th, 2023, 07:43 AM
Phantom Phixer

Congrats.
I see you have the "Autronic eye" headlight dimmer on the dash.
I had a '57 Cadillac years ago that had that too.
You could walk in front of the car with a white shirt on, and it would dim the headlights.
Old January 26th, 2023, 12:23 PM

Congrats !!! welcome to the club she's a beauty !!

Old March 24th, 2023, 12:55 PM
Jen R - '55 Super 88

Hi, just joined the forum this week - this is my first post. I have a '55 Super 88 Holiday Hardtop Coupe that was originally purchased by my father in June of 1955. I drove it in high school, at age 16 in 1987 (see profile photo). It hasn't been driven since 1991; been towing from place to place for 32 years. I finally decided to sell my daily driver and put the $$ towards getting my Olds on the road again - since life has a way of eating up those funds I kept putting aside to fix it!
Old March 24th, 2023, 01:27 PM
madmax442.com

Originally Posted by JenR8r88
Hi, just joined the forum this week - this is my first post. I have a '55 Super 88 Holiday Hardtop Coupe that was originally purchased by my father in June of 1955. I drove it in high school, at age 16 in 1987 (see profile photo). It hasn't been driven since 1991; been towing from place to place for 32 years. I finally decided to sell my daily driver and put the $$ towards getting my Olds on the road again - since life has a way of eating up those funds I kept putting aside to fix it!
I hope you can get it going. My '55 324 has 90K original miles and it runs great and has good oil pressure and never over-heats.
Old March 24th, 2023, 02:19 PM

Welcome Jen R

Hey Jen R,
Welcome to Classic Oldsmobile, and not only is your 1955 Oldsmobile a great story, it has a great history, and will keep your Dad alive in your heart and mind every time you drive your '55....
I service a lot of guys on this sites with parts for their Oldsmobiles... I have some glorious New and N.O.S. parts --- and sorry, guys, but I would like to offer you extra discounts on parts you
may need or want, because it is especially nice to service a young Lady in the hobby. That is already Extra Special, and given your story and your keeping the 1955 Oldsmobile alive all
these years,, I would like to help you get driving again !!!

I have brakes, front end, NEW Water Pump, Fuel Pump Kit, Motor and Transmission Mounts, Ignition and Electrical, Switches and Relays, Tune Up Parts, and a whole lot more....
I have Only New Mechanical parts, no used or cosmetic parts....

Always best to simply call me --- 516 - 485 - 1935 --- Craig , West Hempstead, New York.....
Old March 24th, 2023, 05:00 PM
Jen R - '55 Super 88

Originally Posted by mobileparts
Hey Jen R,
Welcome to Classic Oldsmobile, and not only is your 1955 Oldsmobile a great story, it has a great history, and will keep your Dad alive in your heart and mind every time you drive your '55....
I service a lot of guys on this sites with parts for their Oldsmobiles... I have some glorious New and N.O.S. parts --- and sorry, guys, but I would like to offer you extra discounts on parts you
may need or want, because it is especially nice to service a young Lady in the hobby. That is already Extra Special, and given your story and your keeping the 1955 Oldsmobile alive all
these years,, I would like to help you get driving again !!!

I have brakes, front end, NEW Water Pump, Fuel Pump Kit, Motor and Transmission Mounts, Ignition and Electrical, Switches and Relays, Tune Up Parts, and a whole lot more....
I have Only New Mechanical parts, no used or cosmetic parts....

Always best to simply call me --- 516 - 485 - 1935 --- Craig , West Hempstead, New York.....
Thanks Craig!!! I'll definitely need brake parts. That's the reason I stopped driving my Olds - I just couldn't get the brakes right, and being in my late teens and early 20s, it just wasn't a priority!

My friend's husband will be helping me with the repairs so hopefully I'll have a better idea of what I'll need in the next coming weeks.
My Dad would be thrilled 💗 Thank you for reaching out. Can't wait to start posting progress photos.
Jen
Old March 24th, 2023, 05:02 PM
Jen R - '55 Super 88

Originally Posted by madmax442.com
I hope you can get it going. My '55 324 has 90K original miles and it runs great and has good oil pressure and never over-heats.
Overheating was never a problem, as I recall. I'm sure I'll get my "guy" on road in no time 🤞🙏 Stay tuned for progress photos....
Old March 24th, 2023, 05:55 PM
Phantom Phixer

Welcome,
Some of us "old timers" on this forum were employed repairing these cars back when they were still common on the roads.
We offer a wealth of knowledge and experience, so don't be afraid to ask for advice.
Old March 24th, 2023, 05:59 PM
Jen R - '55 Super 88

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Welcome,
Some of us "old timers" on this forum were employed repairing these cars back when they were still common on the roads.
We offer a wealth of knowledge and experience, so don't be afraid to ask for advice.
Thank you so much! I welcome any and all help you and others can offer. Fortunately, I'm not afraid to ask questions 😁 I'm very excited about this adventure.... It's been a long time coming.
Old March 27th, 2023, 01:33 PM
Running On Empty

Jen - Welcome to the asylum.
Everyone will look forward to your posts. With that said, I strongly suggest you create/make a thread of your own. You are piggybacking on this current thread and your future posts will get buried in this thread - best to create your own thread. Nice care, nice story.

Quick Reply: 54-56 owners unite!