General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

455 boat engine

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2014, 05:23 PM

455 boat engine

Can anybody clarify the difference between the 455 boat engine and a car engine? I have a engine in the machine shop right now that has a pit in one cylinder and looks like it rusted from the back side. The machinist said it needs to be sleeved so I gave him the go ahead. I know its a F2 block and he said the pit got larger as he honed it.
Mike
Old February 11th, 2014, 06:00 PM

my 455 came out of a lobster boat, the numbers on the block will let you know but not nessaryly a boat maybe a water pump or something else "an industrial engine" dose not matter as far as i know blocks are all the same in various years
Old February 11th, 2014, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by crank shaft
Can anybody clarify the difference between the 455 boat engine and a car engine? I have a engine in the machine shop right now that has a pit in one cylinder and looks like it rusted from the back side. The machinist said it needs to be sleeved so I gave him the go ahead. I know its a F2 block and he said the pit got larger as he honed it.
Mike

No difference. Different cam, maybe K heads with hardened valve seats instead of J's. It probably has a nice clean MT flywheel on it

Originally Posted by diesel olds
my 455 came out of a lobster boat

Wow, was it raw water cooled? I can't believe it's still around

Last edited by allyolds68; February 11th, 2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old February 11th, 2014, 06:12 PM

Ok thank you. He said he sonic tested this block and told me there was plenty of cylinder to take it 0.100 over. I now know what the pit is, He has to be into a water jacket. He said it can be sleeved but know I'm worried about the rest of the cylinders. I talked to Mondello and they told me they take them over 0.125 all day long with no problem.
Mike
Old February 12th, 2014, 09:04 AM

Brass freeze plugs

I know some marine eng. came with brass freeze plugs.
Old February 12th, 2014, 09:44 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Cavitation of the cylinder wall begins when air bubbles remove the wall’s oxide
film, which protects the metal from coming into contact with oxygen and corroding.
Flexing of the cylinder wall (after combustion) causes the cylinder liner (or wall) to vibrate,
and creates vapor bubbles in the coolant. These vapor bubbles form on the outside of the
cylinder wall and explode inward, or implode, resulting in tiny pits on the cylinder wall’s
protective oxide layer. When vapor bubbles continue to implode, enough energy is
released to physically attack the cylinder wall and remove the oxide film and deteriorate the metal. Corrosion and pitting then take place at a high rate. This is more typical on marine or industrial prime movers (engines) and large wet sleeve diesel & natural gas prime movers, not so common on passenger car engines, though I have seen it in severe cases of neglect. In your engine this is likely due to the fact that this engine was raw water cooled (?) and didn't benefit from the coolant additives found in closed systems to prevent this.
If it was me Id pass on a raw water cooled block or have all 8 bores sleeved. Who knows what you cant see? Fluxing the bores might catch it? Good practice to flux the block as a precaution anyway.
Old February 12th, 2014, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by diesel olds
my 455 came out of a lobster boat, the numbers on the block will let you know but not nessaryly a boat maybe a water pump or something else "an industrial engine" dose not matter as far as i know blocks are all the same in various years

You might want to check the direction that the motor rotates ! If it came from a boat with twin engines they would rotate in opposite directions !!
Old February 12th, 2014, 10:15 AM

I have a marine engine in one of my cars. Lots of sand in the water jacket. Engine is now 0.060 over, no problems. Ken
Old February 12th, 2014, 01:05 PM

I talked to my builder today and he assured me that he has plenty of room to go before hitting the water jacket. He had to sleeve one of the cylinders due to a rust pit. I never had a sleeved engine before let alone a 455. Thanks for all of the help and feedback!
Mike