General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

442 shifter handle rechromed

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2017, 01:18 PM
Bfg

442 shifter handle rechromed

Can someone recommend a plating service to rechrome a 442 shifter handle. Thank you.
Old January 7th, 2017, 01:35 PM

It can't be polished?
Old January 7th, 2017, 03:29 PM

Contact Dennis Maroudas dba DME 606-237-6648
He specializes in OEM Hurst shifter rebuilding/handle chrome plating. He also sells rebuilt Muncie transmissions & parts. A great guy to do business with. Tell him Mike Richards sent you.
Old January 9th, 2017, 04:42 AM
Bfg

Ok thanks, I will give him a call.
Old January 9th, 2017, 09:45 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
Contact Dennis Maroudas dba DME 606-237-6648
He specializes in OEM Hurst shifter rebuilding/handle chrome plating. He also sells rebuilt Muncie transmissions & parts. A great guy to do business with. Tell him Mike Richards sent you.
And he will be sure to charge you extra for that "Porkchop" plug!!
Old January 14th, 2017, 02:05 PM
Bfg

Does anyone know if Dennis Maroudas is still doing business? I have called him a couple of times and left a message on his recorded but hasn't return my calls.
Old January 14th, 2017, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bfg
Does anyone know if Dennis Maroudas is still doing business? I have called him a couple of times and left a message on his recorded but hasn't return my calls.
I'll see if I can contact him. It might be Monday before he will answer.

Mike
Old January 16th, 2017, 05:27 PM

I spoke to Dennis Thursday or Friday last week. Talked to him about getting my shifter handle cleaned up and chromed. He said he had a big batch of handles he was preparing to ship to the chrome shop today. Sounds like you may have called him at a busy time.
He quoted me a price and then he doubled it when I told him Mike sent me.
He was very pleasant to talk to and told me to ship the handle when I was ready. Said it would take a couple of weeks to fix the gouges and have it chromed. Also offered to rebuild the shifter which I'm not doing at this time. I think he quoted me $125-$150 bucks all in.
I caught him late in the day around 4:45.
Old January 16th, 2017, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cincinnati Rick
I spoke to Dennis Thursday or Friday last week. Talked to him about getting my shifter handle cleaned up and chromed. He said he had a big batch of handles he was preparing to ship to the chrome shop today. Sounds like you may have called him at a busy time.
He quoted me a price and then he doubled it when I told him Mike sent me.
He was very pleasant to talk to and told me to ship the handle when I was ready. Said it would take a couple of weeks to fix the gouges and have it chromed. Also offered to rebuild the shifter which I'm not doing at this time. I think he quoted me $125-$150 bucks all in.
I caught him late in the day around 4:45.
Yes,the double price is my cut. I called him today and he said he has been busy with a couple of swap meets the last two weeks. He's a great guy to do business with and his work is very nice. I'm glad you got to talk to him.

Mike
Old January 16th, 2017, 08:59 PM

Do you have a chrome shop nearby? I had one done about 8 years ago and my local guy charged me 10 bucks. Its not a hard piece to work with, strip it and dip it. Done.

shifter.jpg
Old February 4th, 2017, 06:55 PM

Before shipping off my handle to Dennis at DME I thought I would try to track down a local plating company. I called one place that quoted me $350 and they would need the piece for 5-6 weeks. I just laughed and hung up the phone. Called another place and they referred me to one of their competitors. Called the third place and they told me they don't mess with automotive plating. Then I told him what it was and he said, "hell, we used to do all kinds of plating for Hurst back in the day". HE told me to bring it in and he would take a look. Took less than 2 weeks and and he charged me $100. I think that's a fair price especially since it needed some hand work done before plating. Take a look and let me know what you think.

I'm sure Dennis would have done a great job and it would have been going his way if I hadn't found a local shop.

BEFORE

AFTER

Old February 4th, 2017, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by TK-65
Do you have a chrome shop nearby? I had one done about 8 years ago and my local guy charged me 10 bucks. Its not a hard piece to work with, strip it and dip it. Done.
You got the deal of the decade right there. I don't know anyone that does anything for 10 bucks.
Old February 5th, 2017, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Cincinnati Rick
Before shipping off my handle to Dennis at DME I thought I would try to track down a local plating company. I called one place that quoted me $350 and they would need the piece for 5-6 weeks. I just laughed and hung up the phone. Called another place and they referred me to one of their competitors. Called the third place and they told me they don't mess with automotive plating. Then I told him what it was and he said, "hell, we used to do all kinds of plating for Hurst back in the day". HE told me to bring it in and he would take a look. Took less than 2 weeks and and he charged me $100. I think that's a fair price especially since it needed some hand work done before plating. Take a look and let me know what you think.

I'm sure Dennis would have done a great job and it would have been going his way if I hadn't found a local shop.
How does the shift ball fit on the threads? I know of one person who had his shifter handle ruined during the rechroming process because they didn't protect the threads and now the shift ball doesn't fit
Old February 5th, 2017, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by junior supercar
How does the shift ball fit on the threads? I know of one person who had his shifter handle ruined during the rechroming process because they didn't protect the threads and now the shift ball doesn't fit
Threaded right on with no issues.