General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

425 v8 I might buy but have questions

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2012, 11:49 PM
67 heavy metal

425 v8 I might buy but have questions

I found a 425 v8 that is not too far for me to get and I might get it for my rat rod olds project.But I find that it is missing the harmonic balencer and flywheel.The starter might not be with it either.Would any of you have those parts kicking around.I can make a parts wanted posting but want to wait till I know for sure I am getting the engine.I checked at least one site and these parts did not look all that cheap.But then the ones were more for performance than stock.The listing says the engine ran when parked and it still turns over.I gather from the way it is listed turning over means with a socket and breaker bar lol.I will have to get a transmission as well.But this was the first time i found a 425 near me ither than ones in decent running driving cars.I tend to find 455's listed more than anything.
Old May 14th, 2012, 03:28 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Just remember that you've got to be prepared to completely rebuild any engine you buy that you can't drive, or to take it as a loss. It's always a crapshoot - you may come out with a great motor, or you may find you've got a chunk of scrap iron, even if it turns over or runs (I bought a running 425 once and found ALL the top rings broken and all of the ring lands, and therefore pistons, destroyed, because an earlier PO had installed the wrong rings, even though the rest of the motor looked great inside and had minimal wear, with good compression in 7 cylinders and mediocre compression in one. The seller had done nothing to the motor other than start and run it twice - he was doing a complete restoration on the Cutlass it was installed in).

- Eric
Old May 14th, 2012, 04:30 AM

Do you plan to have the engine balanced?
Old May 14th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

The flywheel/flexplate interchanges with any 1964-67 Olds V8 (except, of course, the 394).
Old May 14th, 2012, 07:37 PM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Just remember that you've got to be prepared to completely rebuild any engine you buy that you can't drive, or to take it as a loss. It's always a crapshoot - you may come out with a great motor, or you may find you've got a chunk of scrap iron, even if it turns over or runs (I bought a running 425 once and found ALL the top rings broken and all of the ring lands, and therefore pistons, destroyed, because an earlier PO had installed the wrong rings, even though the rest of the motor looked great inside and had minimal wear, with good compression in 7 cylinders and mediocre compression in one. The seller had done nothing to the motor other than start and run it twice - he was doing a complete restoration on the Cutlass it was installed in).

- Eric
Well I have not decided what I am doing yet but I have been looking for a 425 that is not in say iowa when I liv in NY.The guy said he sold the balencer off the engine.But he has the trans for it and some other parts.Turns out the place is a classic car junk yard or wreckers as he called it.I would have liked to keep the engine and trans that was in the car but that wasn't the deal.I need to find someone in newyork state with a decent olds engine and trans for my project.

Originally Posted by Boldsmobile
Do you plan to have the engine balanced?
I don't know what I should do at this point.MDchanic has a point and if I get the engine I could have to rebuild it.Now I have never done that so I could be looking at anywere from a grand or two or more depending were I take it.

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The flywheel/flexplate interchanges with any 1964-67 Olds V8 (except, of course, the 394).
Good to know some parts are interchangable and should not be as hard to come by.

by the way I wondered about your picture or avitar is that a intake set up for two carbs?