General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

4 speed or auto trans?

Search this Thread

Old October 13th, 2017, 11:06 PM

4 speed or auto trans?

Ok. I have wanted to post this for a while. So in my opinion the automatic transmission cars easily out number the 4 speed or stick cars at least 3-1 or even more. Back in the day these were just cars and you can see how the auto was an easy decision for most buyers. So now these are collectables that aren’t driven everyday. So, Do you prefer auto or 4 speed?

I have both but prefer driving my 4 speed car. You?

Last edited by OldsAl; October 13th, 2017 at 11:28 PM.
Old October 13th, 2017, 11:40 PM

I agree, 4 speed.
Old October 14th, 2017, 03:20 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

For my American cars, automatic beyond question. To me the whole point of an American car is to have an effortless driving experience, not shift gears myself, struggle to park it with heavy steering, or even put up with a less than smooth ride because the suspension is set up for responsive handling.
For my small engined tiny European cars, nippy performance, agile handling, a light clutch and slick gearshift is a must. An automatic transmission would draw to much power from its modest output, and fuel economy would suffer - we pay perhaps three time what most of you do for gas.
If I wanted the adavantages of An american car coupled with a dynamic driving experience I would have to look to very upscale German or Japanese cars.
But they cost a staggering amount to run and keep compared to old fashioned American Iron, and are targets for thieves and vandals.
I own and run American cars because I am not a shrinking violet, and enjoy the camaraderie with fellow owners.
Occasionally we are asked to provide transport for weddings or Prom Nights. On one occasion a friend of mine was asked to take a kid to her last day at school in his Smokey an the Bandit tribute Firebird, he arrived at the school along with various other exotic transport and was parked next to a new Aston Martin. Which was ignored because all the kids were flocking around his car.

But this is the UK, in North America stick seems a novelty, so if you enjoy shifting your own gears, well, go have fun.
When I first Visited America I was amazed that lots of normal intelligent people had never learned driving stick. Over here if you pass your driving test (which you have to do to get a licence) in an automatic you are not allowed to drive stick. Normally it is disabled drivers who do this, if their disability means they cant shift gears because they are missing a limb or whatever.

Roger.

Last edited by rustyroger; October 15th, 2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old October 14th, 2017, 03:53 AM

Hey a stick shift car is the new car security system. Most younger people have no idea how to drive them!
Old October 14th, 2017, 03:56 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

A 4-speed car is way more fun to drive than an automatic. It is a neat feeling grabbing second gear and then hitting third. And then there is the feeling of down shifting.
Old October 14th, 2017, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
A 4-speed car is way more fun to drive than an automatic. It is a neat feeling grabbing second gear and then hitting third. And then there is the feeling of down shifting.
I miss driving a 4 speed car that I downshift on my automatic cars
Old October 14th, 2017, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by rustyroger
For my American cars, automatic beyond question. To me the hole point of an American car is to have an effortless driving experience, not shift gears myself, struggle to park it with heavy steering, or even put up with a less than smooth ride because the suspension is set up for responsive handling.
For my small engined tiny European cars, nippy performance, agile handling, a light clutch and slick gearshift is a must. An automatic transmission would draw to much power from its modest output, and fuel economy would suffer - we pay perhaps three time what most of you do for gas.
If I wanted the adavantages of An american car coupled with a dynamic driving experience I would have to look to very upscale German or Japanese cars.
But they cost a staggering amount to run and keep compared to old fashioned American Iron, and are targets for thieves and vandals.
I own and run American cars because I am not a shrinking violet, and enjoy the camaraderie with fellow owners.
Occasionally we are asked to provide transport for weddings or Prom Nights. On one occasion a friend of mine was asked to take a kid to her last day at school in his Smokey an the Bandit tribute Firebird, he arrived at the school along with various other exotic transport and was parked next to a new Aston Martin. Which was ignored because all the kids were flocking around his car.

But this is the UK, in North America stick seems a novelty, so if you enjoy shifting your own gears, well, go have fun.
When I first Visited America I was amazed that lots of normal intelligent people had never learned driving stick. Over here if you pass your driving test (which you have to do to get a licence) in an automatic you are not allowed to drive stick. Normally it is disabled drivers who do this, if their disability means they cant shift gears because they are missing a limb or whatever.

Roger.
Well you can’t compare a tiny European car with a 4 speed and an American big block with a 4 speed. Totally different and not just a novelty. I want some effort, I want to feel the gears.
Old October 14th, 2017, 08:17 AM

Four Speed
Old October 14th, 2017, 09:25 AM
Phantom Phixer

That is exactly why my Very Dynamic 88 is going to be 4 speed .
Besides , I HATE SLIM-JIM'S !!!!!

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...storation.html
Old October 14th, 2017, 09:43 AM

His and her's shifters are nice but prefer a four speed by far.

Last edited by classicmuscle442; October 15th, 2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old October 14th, 2017, 10:03 AM
Administrator

If my knee was up to the task a 4 spd (or more spds) is the only way to go.
Old October 14th, 2017, 02:38 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by OldsAl
...automatic transmission cars easily out number the 4 speed or stick cars at least 3-1 or even more..(but what) do you prefer...?
Curious that, for our older cars, 4-speeds now have more value.

To answer the question, I presently have three cars, all manual transmission including a new Challenger.
Old October 14th, 2017, 02:39 PM

Both my Olds are unfortunately automatic, but I vote for stick.
Old October 14th, 2017, 02:41 PM

Just put a rebuilt M22 in my W31. Man the sound of those whining gears is music to my ears. A 4 speed is way more fun and you so much more connected to the drive train. With the 3:91’s back in it’s a whole bunch more fun. Yeah I wish there was an extra gear on the highway.
Old October 14th, 2017, 03:02 PM

Hey Zeeke. Nothing wrong with a nice car with an auto trans. Just a different driving experience. My W30 convertible is a beast. Not sure if I would enjoy driving it with a stick. It has a 500 cu in Dick Miller stroker in it. That’s running on a quadrajet with a reproduction W30 intake, roller cam and worked C heads. It looks stock except for the Kooks headers.

I kept the original engine.

Last edited by OldsAl; October 15th, 2017 at 07:36 AM.
Old October 14th, 2017, 03:04 PM

Oh yeah the cruise control works perfectly lol.
Old October 14th, 2017, 03:42 PM

My automatic is a 4 speed, but like most I would rather row my own with a stick and do often with my other cars.... Tedd
Old October 14th, 2017, 03:46 PM
Olds Fever

Four speed would be my preference from a muscle car stand point...
Everyday drivers, I prefer automatics, especially in heavy traffic...
Old October 14th, 2017, 03:56 PM

Hard to say if a 4-speed would be better. I don't have one. But the 6-speed Vette, the 5-speed hot rod and 6 speed shifter kart are WAY more fun than my auto Olds
Old October 14th, 2017, 04:09 PM

I can't believe this is even a question. Four speed of course. Tom
Old October 14th, 2017, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Ditto that. I love downshifting my 66.
Wayne
Old October 14th, 2017, 07:56 PM

So this goes back to my earlier comment. These were bought as just a family car or a dual purpose car where maybe dad had a few street races on a Friday night. Now these are fun cars so it’s clear the manual trans is running away (as most would have predicted). I really like my auto cars but shifting a 4 gear really is a lot more fun. But my perspective is not in heavy traffic and after rush hour with a smile on my face. 😎
Old October 14th, 2017, 08:00 PM

Of course, my 70 SX Conv is auto and I like driving it, but I prefer banging my own gears, which is why I kept my college car, a 70 Chevellee SS396 with Muncie.
Old October 14th, 2017, 08:45 PM

Al as you know driving in Vancouver is a nightmare. The roads are slow moving parking lots most of the time. Don't even get me started on the 2nd narrows bridge. 30 minutes to drive 7 km is ridiculous. That when shifting and clutching is not so much fun. I once spent 4 hours in a San Francisco traffic jamb in the 32 hot rod. We had to pull over after we got through the Golden Gate my leg/knee was so sore from 10 thousand clutch pushes.
But when there is open road give me a 4/5/6 speed any time.
Old October 14th, 2017, 10:36 PM

Hey Mike. Vancouver has no traffic in the middle of the night. Pick your times to drive that 4 gear car. But seriously I agree and you can see why back in the day so many people opted for the automatic. Easy peasy.
Old October 14th, 2017, 11:56 PM

DMV Test

I just turned 70 and passed my computer test only missing 2 BUTT now my left eye is 20/30 and my right eye is 20/200 with a cataract being taken care of later. I have been driving with two feet one on the gas and left foot for brake, I guess they will tell me I can't drive like that is been 50 yrs. doing it no problem. My brother drives like that too so no changing now its way to late. Started driving and bracket racing right out of the Army till now. I have to see my regular Doc. to get his take on paper then to my eye Doc. for his then send it in to Ca. DMV i'll see what happens. So looks like a behind the wheel test and another eye test and computer test as well all over again. I'm just venting sorry its late too. I did have a 64 Cutlass 4 spd. with a auto col. shift but a Corvette 4 spd shifter on the floor with a W-27 3.91 gear rear end. Ran 12.50 at 110 MPH all day long. Once got $50 at Fremont drags for running 12.50 on my dial in 3 times in a row.
Gerald
Old October 15th, 2017, 12:17 AM

"I did have a 64 Cutlass 4 spd. with a auto col. shift but a Corvette 4 spd shifter on the floor with a W-27 3.91 gear rear end."

I bet your arm was tired from shifting all those gears by the time you finished the quarter mile.

Don W
Old October 15th, 2017, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by OldsAl
So this goes back to my earlier comment. These were bought as just a family car or a dual purpose car where maybe dad had a few street races on a Friday night. Now these are fun cars so it’s clear the manual trans is running away (as most would have predicted). I really like my auto cars but shifting a 4 gear really is a lot more fun. But my perspective is not in heavy traffic and after rush hour with a smile on my face. 😎
Rush hour, I remember that as a kid many years ago. Now rush hour around these parts starts about noon on Sunday and ends about Midnight Saturday. I've been told as a youngster don't rush your life, but I can't wait to move to a place where someone say "what's rush hour?"
Old October 15th, 2017, 09:51 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by kevdog442
Well you can’t compare a tiny European car with a 4 speed and an American big block with a 4 speed. Totally different and not just a novelty. I want some effort, I want to feel the gears.
I have driven stick big Mercedes, BMWs And Jaguars. as much fun a the trucks I used to drive for a living, but at least I was paid to do it.
The only American stick I ever drove was a Chevy Monza. on a par with a Massey Ferguson tractor imo.

But if you drive for fun and like shifting your own gears, enjoy! No sarcasm intended btw.

Roger.
Old October 15th, 2017, 09:01 PM

I like my 4 speed, i get sleepy with an automatic.
Old October 16th, 2017, 01:15 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

We should swap countries!.

Here I am where automatic is almost a novelty, bored many years ago with shifting my own gears.
And you guys are where stick is almost a novelty, bored many years ago with the car doing its own shifting.

I am surprised by the overwhelming support for stick, having driven through most big cities in Texas many times.
Of course most of you are driving your Oldsmobiles for fun, car shows and cruise-ins don't normally involve rush hour traffic.
How many of you have a stick daily driver?. Of those who do, do you often drive in heavy stop-go traffic?.

Roger.
Old October 17th, 2017, 10:18 PM

I have to say that I did take my 4 speed bench W31 for a long drive the other day and got caught in some heavier traffic and yah it was a pain idling along starting and stopping with a stick. But once I got away from that the smile on my face returned. 😎
Old October 18th, 2017, 09:54 AM

Definitely a stick. The ONLY time I wish mine was an auto is when I'm driving (crawling) in a parade..
Old October 18th, 2017, 12:06 PM

when & where

Depends on the car & how it is used.

Going for a cruise with some spirited driving?....4 speed all the way.

At the track?....I'll take an automatic all day long for consistency.
Old October 20th, 2017, 09:35 AM

Good point to make well on the 1/4 mike track. I would also take the auto on a nice day with the top down well cruising along listening to period music. 😎
Old October 20th, 2017, 12:15 PM

Best of both worlds! Hurst lighting rods!

Best of both worlds! Hurst lighting rods! My Rocket ship on rails.

Go either way.

Hurst lighting rods

All levers down, in first gear. Gas petal to the floor and never let it up!

6,000 on tachometer(Sometime a little higher) Move right lever forward 1/2'' to second (Gas petal to the floor and never let it up!) Instantly changes gear better than I ever could with manual. Smoking sticky Kumo tires.

Back up 6,000 or higher. move middle lever 1/2'' to third. (Gas petal to the floor and never let it up!) Instantly changes gear. Smoking tires a some more.

Back up 6,000 or higher. (Gas petal to the floor and never let it up!)

Moral of this story(Gas petal to the floor and never let it up!)

Oh hold the steering wheel from the bottom. I broke the pin for the tilt steering column two times. Form holding it from the top.

Can, reverse order to downshift.

Drive it in OD like a normal person. Automatic races OK.

Killer light weight 350 with many extras, Polygraphite bushings, big bear brakes all around, frame stiffening, 8.5 10 bolt(Have not broken it yet).

And believe it or not, Monroe Sensa matic shocks all around. Great just cruising around. Stiff - flat going around 90 degree turns at 55 mp

If driving 100 mph at night on the highway at 2:00 am. And no one's on the interstate. Put four ford light bulb gives you 4 high beam on relay on separate switch. Green toggle switch by large tach.

Last edited by HighwayStar 442; October 20th, 2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old October 20th, 2017, 04:13 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by HighwayStar 442
Great just cursing around.
I did that when I was a kid too. But when I got older I cleaned up my language.