General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

350 valve cover gastkets what type?

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2011, 04:12 PM

350 valve cover gastkets what type?

I've got a 72' Olds with a 350. I am on my second pair of valve cover gaskets. the first ones were cork, the second one's were the rubber type (not sure if that's what they are but the feel like rubber.).

Anyways...I still keep getting annoying little leaks. Is there a certain type to use that works better than the ones I have or is there a certain way the bolts are tightened down.

Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Joe
Old August 7th, 2011, 04:35 PM

Joe, check out this thread:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-68-442-a.html

John
Old August 7th, 2011, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Thanks John. You are always there when I need ya! I hope things are good on your end and you're enjoying the summer.

Joe
Old August 7th, 2011, 04:59 PM

I'd be looking for another problem also, not just gaskets, either of those sets should have done the job. Are you sure you're not under or over tightening them?? I also assume you straightened the valve cover around all the holes, a small dent can make a big leak.
Old August 7th, 2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by jag1886
I'd be looking for another problem also, not just gaskets, either of those sets should have done the job. Are you sure you're not under or over tightening them?? I also assume you straightened the valve cover around all the holes, a small dent can make a big leak.
I'm sure it was both. I most likely did over tighten them and I know the valve cover holes are pushed in. I will pull them off tomorrow and bang em out gently and try again.

Thanks for the help.
Old August 7th, 2011, 07:35 PM

I had this problem with my 350.It turned out that the oil under the intake wasn't getting back down to the pan fast enough and was covering the Holes intended for drainage this caused pressure to build from blow by.I tried every thing for a couple of years.I put sealer on both sides of the gaskets cleaned every thing with lacquer thinner.Nothing worked.And I have aluminium valve covers which are a lot heavier.Oil leaked from every wear,not much at all but every wear. Finely I put a PCV valve in the back of the oil fill tube The oil fill tube goes straight to the pan allowing the pressure to be vented.
Could this be your problem?Did you raise your oil pressure?I've told this story a few times and got no response.
railguy
Old August 8th, 2011, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Railguy
I had this problem with my 350.It turned out that the oil under the intake wasn't getting back down to the pan fast enough and was covering the Holes intended for drainage this caused pressure to build from blow by.I tried every thing for a couple of years.I put sealer on both sides of the gaskets cleaned every thing with lacquer thinner.Nothing worked.And I have aluminium valve covers which are a lot heavier.Oil leaked from every wear,not much at all but every wear. Finely I put a PCV valve in the back of the oil fill tube The oil fill tube goes straight to the pan allowing the pressure to be vented.
Could this be your problem?Did you raise your oil pressure?I've told this story a few times and got no response.
railguy
Thanks Railguy. The engine is freshly redone. The oil pressure is good at speed and idle. I have a pcv valve and the tube that runs to the carb for the pollution control. The oil is getting back down to the crank case. It's just I used the old valve covers and the holes for the bolts are pushed down so it's not sealing really good at all. I took the valve covers off last night. The gaskets are new and look to be okay. I will straighten out the holes and put new gaskets in tonight.

Thanks very much for the input. I hope you got yours figured out.