General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

2010 NTOC Zone Show

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2010, 12:23 PM

2010 NTOC Zone Show

Yes, we are going to have a 2010 Show, details to follow
I have been asked to be the Race Coordinator, so I would like to invite all Olds racers to plan on attending. Hopefully Joe can bring his "Rund" car again, I love the history.
Dates are not firmed up yet, but we're looking at the 1st or 2nd weekend in Oct., and I believe we will be using the same hotel, and of course, Northstar Dragway
Old January 6th, 2010, 02:22 PM

I will be there. I finally got the starter replaced. The starter failure was the reason for making only one pass in Oct 09. What a job with Headers by Ed. I did it the "easy" way, only had to remove the driveshaft, shifter,trans, bell, clutch, flywheel, and drop the left side header. grrr.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to get the race going for the 2011 Nationals in Reno and would like to compare notes with you as the format will be similar. A fun race, not a high dollar purse kind of thing.
Old June 21st, 2010, 08:40 AM

Any word on a confirmed date yet for this show yet? I am trying to plan a 2-week vacation in Oct and do not want to miss the zone show - it was way too fun!
If anyone has heard, please let me know.
Thanks!
Old June 21st, 2010, 02:29 PM

NTOC Zone Show will be held on 10/22-23/2010..
Old June 21st, 2010, 04:29 PM

It'd be nice to get a 1/4 mile track. It takes me the first 1/8 to get hooked up lol.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 05:13 AM

Thanks! Looks like I will take my vacation before that time.

I would like a 1/4 miler also, since I am more used to ET's and spped being based from that. However, it make my numbers look better in a way.....
Old August 10th, 2010, 07:01 AM

More info here..
http://clubs.hemmings.com/ntexasoca
Old August 10th, 2010, 07:13 AM

Looking forward to it!
Maybe I will get both Lady and Pristine out there as a pair!
Old August 12th, 2010, 06:39 AM

The race is going to be a lot of FUN, I just got word that a white '50 C/A is coming to race, I've seen pics, and it's a beautiful old school race car, we'll have to park him next to the "Rund' car..
Old August 13th, 2010, 10:42 AM

Dan Griffin from Arkansas is bringing the '50 turtle back C/A race car to the 2010 Show'N'Go Zone Show in October. Should be a ball. Hope all can come!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Dan Griffin.jpg (31.6 KB, 30 views)
Old August 13th, 2010, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Aron Nance
Dan Griffin from Arkansas is bringing the '50 turtle back C/A race car to the 2010 Show'N'Go Zone Show in October.
Neat looking car for sure / interesting comparison!

My friend back in college had a late 70's green Malibu that he nicknamed "The Turtle"...
Old August 19th, 2010, 07:07 PM
NôôB

well.... i am not from northern texas (San Antonio) but is there a chance i could come out and meet some of the forum people and hang out and kick it with you guys?

if so... please hook me up with some info.
Old August 19th, 2010, 07:35 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by sicky olds
well.... i am not from northern texas (San Antonio) but is there a chance i could come out and meet some of the forum people and hang out and kick it with you guys?

if so... please hook me up with some info.

Its not just a North Texas deal. People come from all over to attend.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/ntexasoca/index.cfm

http://www.northstar-dragway.com/

2010ZoneShow1.jpg
Old August 19th, 2010, 07:52 PM

While the North Texas club puts on the show, it is basically for the whole
South Central Olds Club of America Zone
http://www.oldsclub.org/chapters.htm
and of course Olds people from other zones would be welcome too. I think you would find it worthwhile to get your hotel room for at least one, better both, nights and enjoy the camaraderie. I have found this zone show in the past to be more "open" and friendly than national meets where of course old friends reunite, but there is less "mixing" with new folks. At least part of it has to be the openness of Texans and you will surely find some folks who share your interests.
Old August 19th, 2010, 07:52 PM
NôôB

so now the better question is....
can the hurst make it out there or should i just drive my daily driver lol
Old August 20th, 2010, 05:30 AM

I would sure love to see that '69, as well as others who will be there.

I am sure you know the maintanence that has been done on it, and it all that is up to snuff, do another inspection of all the basics again, carry a toolbox and a phone and I bet all will go fine.
Of course if you forget to take the toolbox, worse will happen, according to Murph's law.......

I drove my 72 to Louisianna back in May when it was 100* out and it did just fine. I was the one overheating...
Old August 20th, 2010, 05:52 AM
NôôB

so i will see what i can do on getting her out there. took her out on the highway for the first time for a distance and she did well. so i will just have to figure how much cash this little adventure will cost me and when i am for sure about going i will look forward to seeing people there and give me pointers in person on what to do with my beast
Old August 27th, 2010, 03:24 PM

Sicky Olds: Go ahead and make a reservation at the Host Hotel now, to insure that you get the reduced rate. You can always cancel your reservation, if you see it isn't going to work. Run to Rund (Joe) is right, it is a lot of fun, a lot of great interaction and tire kickin', and the drive up to the race track/running down the track is fabulous. I know there were several last year that really got caught up in the drag racing, without mentioning any names (Lady Rob). Sure hope you, and many others from San Antonio/Austin area can make it!!!
Old August 27th, 2010, 03:26 PM
NôôB

my mom actually works for marriot so i might be able to get in cheaper to the hotel. is there a cost for the entry or is it one of those all included things?
Old August 27th, 2010, 03:29 PM

Go up to Richard's message and click on the site noted, should bring up the entry form. If not, go to North Texas Oldsmobile Club, and that should work.
Old August 27th, 2010, 03:33 PM
NôôB

well i got to wait for payday at least lol. which for us military shall be on the 1st
Old August 27th, 2010, 07:38 PM
One of None W-31

These Zone Shows are always good. Aron won't say it b/c he's too modest, so I will say it for him...Aron is a great guy who has worked very hard (with others from our local club) to make the Zone Show what it is. Thanks Aron!!!
Old September 13th, 2010, 07:11 AM

If you're attending...please make you hotel reservations soon!

http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/showimage.cgi?lid=934232&type=at&in=
Old September 13th, 2010, 08:46 AM

On the registration form, it says the deadline to make hotel reservations at the special price is Sept. 20. It is a very nice hotel, usually quite expensive, and afaik there are no other hotels close by (for those who would try to save a couple $). The show is easy to get to, with the hotel being right off I35W on 114, across from the Tx speedway.
Old September 13th, 2010, 11:22 AM

Any and all who are even thinking about attending the North Texas Zone Show, please contact the Host Hotel and make your reservations ASAP (September 20 is the deadline, I believe; IOW's, you need to call the hotel this week to get this great rate)! DOES NOT HAVE TO BE A SHOW CAR, OR A RACE CAR, JUST AN OLDSMOBILE! This is a fun event. We had folks from New Mexico, Gulf Coast, San Antonio, Bastrop, Austin, Oklahoma, and all over North Texas last year (one coming from Arkansas that I know of w/a C/A race '50 turtle back. We are hoping for 100 cars on the show field. Come on down! We have managed to get an excellent room price (inclusive, tax included) from the Marriott, and they are excellent to work with, want us there.....what a concept, if you've tried to host a Zone Show the last few years. Trailer parking available. Same place as last year's show (judged, again, or show only, if you prefer), w/racing at North Star Dragway just north of Denton Saturday evening at NO CHARGE to run (Oldsmobile's only, of course). We also need your entries for your cars as soon as possible mailed in to enable us to plan the event with as much lead time as possible. Any questions, please call: Aron - 214-327-6699 or email: acdoodle@sbcglobal.net. Thanks for listening! Hope to see you there!
Aron

Last edited by Aron Nance; September 13th, 2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old October 20th, 2010, 06:48 AM

Well, the time is approaching faster and faster! Time flies when catching up after a vacation.
I need to get Lady out, get her oil changed and get her washed up and spiffied up...
Hope the weather cooperates - there is a chance for rain, but hopefully it will not do much (like the last several rain chances.)
We will be there saturday afternoon and will head home after the races, like last time.

I am guessing we will be heading to the dragway around the same time as last year?
Looking forward to it!!
Old October 20th, 2010, 07:18 AM

Yep, think Lance and Neal will be gathering the group for the caravan up to North Star Dragway in the parking lot at 4:42 PM, with departure scheduled for 4:55 PM for the 20 minute drive up IH35. Rob, for sure get there earlier than that so you can see the cars displayed on the field, and everyone can see your beautifully restored convertible, also. See you there!
Aron
Old October 20th, 2010, 07:53 AM
car guy

If I have time Friday night I am going to drop the green wagon off and park it with a for sale sign in the window. I won't be able to return until saturday afternoon. I will hang out for a while and go to the races Saturday night with everyone.
Old October 20th, 2010, 08:32 AM

Aron - We plan to be there at 3pm or so.
Last year we got there at 1 and we got wore out too soon from the heat and walking.

Richard - hope you make it Saturday.
I found a nice memorial item for your '66 when I was in Astoria poking through antique shops... It will look good on the wall of your new shop!
Old October 23rd, 2010, 01:24 PM

Well, the weather has me bummed out, and Lady sitting quietly in the closed up garage.

No notable rain for the whole month and what do we get on the day of the show and races?
Tons of rain and tornado warnings to boot...

I hope everyone is doing okay who made it out there. I sure hope there was not any hail or anything either - it looked nasty out that way!
Better luck next year - at least Lady is clean and ready for the next show...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tornrwarn2.JPG (120.9 KB, 107 views)
Old October 23rd, 2010, 01:31 PM
car guy

We were headed out there even with the rain about 2:00 but the weather man said I was about to drive through an area in a Tornado warning I chickened out and turned around. I hope all is well out there.
Old October 24th, 2010, 01:18 PM

Wow - what a night last night!

I remember running in the 9's all night, whipped about 25 opponents and came home with a 100k prize check, a gold trophy, and 3 babes in the back seat!

I really should lay off all the pizza and beer before bedtime...

OR not!
Old October 24th, 2010, 05:27 PM
NôôB

i just wonder how the guys that travelled and got a hotel room for the night ended up?

but on a side note i did go to the BOP shootout in san antonio and they had some nice cars there and olds won the bracket 3
Old October 24th, 2010, 07:53 PM

When I arrived at 8:30 Sat. A.M., it was dry, but starting around 10:30 the showers started. the judging started around 11 in the rain..After the judging was over a few guys either left or put their cars back in the trailers. At least TheRobski came prepared with beverages The Rund car trailered all the way from N.M., and we had a cool race car from Arkansas-Dan Griffin's 50 Olds C/A.
Hopefully next year we'll get to race..I still had a blast..
Old October 25th, 2010, 02:00 PM

As Lance said, even w/all the rain/wind/lightning, it was still a blast. Five race cars there, each special in its own way. Loved the southern engineered '50 slope back of Dan's!!! Ram air looked to be effective as could be, and totally home made. Interesting exhaust system, also. And two monster 4 BBL carbs on top. Sounded wicked, but as I recall, they all sounded wicked. Run to Rund and QuadQuad give me chills when idling. What we should have done was Sunday AM (no rain,thank you, and streets dry) should have let each racer, on that back road behind the show field see how much rubber they could lay down. 31 total cars, which was surprising, as North Texas really had a couple of BAD spring weather days. Wish each of you could have been there to party down w/us. Went after it with a vengance Friday evening, so put out by the storms. Suffered Saturday AM, and let up on Saturday evening. Still a great deal of fun! Let's do it again!
Old October 25th, 2010, 03:21 PM

Damn SORRY I missed it! (In spite of the weather as others have said...) Next year I'll just have to make the Trek!! This is that sad time of year in the MidWest when the Car Shows, Cruise Nights and races start to disappear for the Season!
Old October 25th, 2010, 03:26 PM

We found out at the Awards Sunday AM that the Marriott has been very pleased with our show, the caliber of the cars, and the people. They have already asked when we would like to get together to discuss the best dates for next year. October is a great month, just was not, this year!
Old October 26th, 2010, 05:36 AM

I am looking forward to it already - sans the rain and all...
Old October 31st, 2010, 01:26 PM
1971 442 conv

Could not make it this year. Is there a link to any pictures?
Old November 1st, 2010, 01:34 PM

Ali, with all the rain, I didn't see anyone taking pics, maybe a Club Member got a few shots between the showers. Missed you guys.

Quick Reply: 2010 NTOC Zone Show