General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1st time with bondo

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2012, 02:18 PM

1st time with bondo

ok so i couldn't find a replacement driverside rear side marker so i decided to shave both driver and pass sides. i think i did a pretty damn good job, i also covered all of the exterior badge, chrome trim, and vent holes.
BEFORE

During
img1326587585512.jpg
img1326587585815.jpg
img1326587585916.jpg
After

Old January 29th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Just curious. Did you tac weld a metal filler plate in first or is this just all bondo. Reason I ask is that a layer that thick will probably crack or fall out or both over time. The small holes you filled on the sides and trunk look good.
Old January 29th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Old(s) Fart

The finishing work looks good, but you left out the photos that show how you plugged the holes first. Bondo alone is not structural, particularly on a hole the size of the side marker light.
Old January 29th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You know that's illegal if your car ever gets officially inspected, including if a cop in a bad mood pulls you over, right?

And, as the others said, if you didn't use some sort of structural substrate, it'll crack and fall out.

- Eric
Old January 29th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by MDchanic
You know that's illegal if your car ever gets officially inspected, including if a cop in a bad mood pulls you over, right? Eric
I've seen lots of restos where this has been done though in the name of a freer flowing body line uninterrupted by trim or lights. If it was a show car instead of a driver, would it still be illegal?

Is the legality of removing side marker lights federal or state authority? What exactly does the leg address? Is it something to do with meeting and maintaining YOM requirements? I'm curious....thx Eric
Old January 29th, 2012, 03:26 PM

unfortunately i didnt know about tac welding a metal filler till after i plugged up the wholes. lol so i guess then i can i'll redo it with a tac weld. but for now she's still in project mode. Thanx for the info by the way.
Old January 29th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

As I think about this, most police officers on the force are 25-40 years old.
So born 1972 or later. I don't remember rear marker lights on many things after 1980 or so.

I don't think they would give a crap, with all the other horrible happenings in the world. They were 8 years old max when those started phasing out.
Old January 29th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Fwiw. 36 grinder for a good mechanical adhesion. Straight sanding blocks, finish all your filler in 320 and sand straight you can go up down and diagonal but keep the block straight. Btw if you have low funds and no welder. Industrial liqiud nails works good for patch panels. When i restored my cutlass i made a 12 in. section on my cutlass for the rocker panel and i was low on funds and no welder., so i did what every young guy with no cash and some serious ambition to get his car done would . I went to my local home depo and looked for liquid nails that would work on steel. 4 years later and it hasn't popped or rusted yet .
Old January 29th, 2012, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Fwiw. 36 grinder for a good mechanical adhesion. Straight sanding blocks, finish all your filler in 320 and sand straight you can go up down and diagonal but keep the block straight. Btw if you have low funds and no welder. Industrial liqiud nails works good for patch panels. When i restored my cutlass i made a 12 in. section on my cutlass for the rocker panel and i was low on funds and no welder., so i did what every young guy with no cash and some serious ambition to get his car done would . I went to my local home depo and looked for liquid nails that would work on steel. 4 years later and it hasn't popped or rusted yet .
NIIIIICE! That's a good idea. thanx for the tip
Old January 29th, 2012, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
As I think about this, most police officers on the force are 25-40 years old.
So born 1972 or later. I don't remember rear marker lights on many things after 1980 or so.

I don't think they would give a crap, with all the other horrible happenings in the world. They were 8 years old max when those started phasing out.
as long as the blinker can be seen from the front and the back of the car it should be fine. My Pt Cruiser doesn't have side markers.
Old January 29th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Allan R
I've seen lots of restos where this has been done though in the name of a freer flowing body line uninterrupted by trim or lights. If it was a show car instead of a driver, would it still be illegal?
It would be illegal to register it or drive it that way.

Originally Posted by Allan R
Is the legality of removing side marker lights federal or state authority? What exactly does the leg address?
The requirement that they be installed when the car is made is Federal (in both the US and Canada).

The requirement that they be there when you're driving it is State or Provincial.
Lights are mandatory safety equipment, like seatbelts, horns, mirrors, and proper tires. Not having them installed is the same as having a light bulb out.
If you removed your headlights, and then drove at night, you couldn't tell the cop, "Hey, I just don't have any." It wouldn't get you far.

Different states and provinces will have slightly differing rules, but in general, you've got to have all of the safety equipment that the car was required to have when it was made. In states that require annual safety inspections, you would fail without the required lights. In states that do not, the law still demands that all of the inspection requirements be met by the owner, and allows the police to perform "spot inspections" on the side of the road, if it is necessary in their judgement. There may be states that do not require them, but they would be the rare exceptions.

Originally Posted by WolfmanG
as long as the blinker can be seen from the front and the back of the car it should be fine. My Pt Cruiser doesn't have side markers.
Wrong.

Every new car sold in the US since 1968 has had sidemarkers.
Also collapsing steering columns, and lap and shoulder belts, and a number of other things.

- Eric
Old January 29th, 2012, 04:38 PM

Panel bond. New car companies use it alot. Available at your local paint and body supply. Bonds steel to steel like a weld and also seals it from rust. There are many brands available. Fusor, evercoat, etc.
Old January 29th, 2012, 04:44 PM

not all new cars have side markers . I work in a body shop day and out and side markers are becoming les and less common
Old January 29th, 2012, 04:49 PM

@ziff396 I mentioned the liquid nails because a tube of that stuff is like 32 bucks plus on some of them. I did use some panel bond on my car from 3m but i got the same results from the liquid nails for like 10 bucks. If it's non structural panel bond works good but imo over priced my rocker is still in place no rust no popping and that was with liquid nails industrial strength.
Old January 29th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

not all new cars have side markers . I work in a body shop day and out and side markers are becoming les and less common
I'm sorry, Copper, but you are wrong.

They are incorporated into the headlight and taillight housings.

They are REQUIRED by Federal law.

- Eric
Old January 29th, 2012, 05:03 PM

yes that is true eric and i was going to clarify that but you beat me to it . They get away with it because the lights kinda wrap arround . But ! body side lights are not required . I know jettas and acura mdx"s have fender lights turn signals etc. some have them on the mirrors . But the fenders and rear quarters i think most cops wouldn't realize that. My 94 dodge ram does not have lights on the fenders and the side markers bearly hit the side of the truck .

Last edited by coppercutlass; January 29th, 2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old January 29th, 2012, 05:36 PM

Did you ask here if anyone had them??
I'd put them back on, to avoid going to 'Gitmo', never to be seen again!!
Old January 29th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

yes that is true eric and i was going to clarify that but you beat me to it . They get away with it because the lights kinda wrap arround . But ! body side lights are not required . I know jettas and acura mdx"s have fender lights turn signals etc. some have them on the mirrors . But the fenders and rear quarters i think most cops wouldn't realize that. My 94 dodge ram does not have lights on the fenders and the side markers bearly hit the side of the truck .
I know they're not obvious when you look at them, but they have to meet specific requirements of amount of light emitted and visibility from the side, so they're there on way or another.

In the US, the lights on the mirrors or front fenders just ahead of the front doors are not required, but some sort of a signal light in this location is required in Europe, and has been for many years, which is why they tend to be found on European cars.

- Eric
Old January 29th, 2012, 05:42 PM

Yep most people would just say oh no lights on the side but the head lights wrap around for a reason and on front signals like my ram they are curved so they can emit side light and therefore being classified as a side marker.
Old January 29th, 2012, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
It would be illegal to register it or drive it that way.

The requirement that they be installed when the car is made is Federal (in both the US and Canada).

The requirement that they be there when you're driving it is State or Provincial.
Lights are mandatory safety equipment, like seatbelts, horns, mirrors, and proper tires. Not having them installed is the same as having a light bulb out.
If you removed your headlights, and then drove at night, you couldn't tell the cop, "Hey, I just don't have any." It wouldn't get you far.

Different states and provinces will have slightly differing rules, but in general, you've got to have all of the safety equipment that the car was required to have when it was made. In states that require annual safety inspections, you would fail without the required lights. In states that do not, the law still demands that all of the inspection requirements be met by the owner, and allows the police to perform "spot inspections" on the side of the road, if it is necessary in their judgement. There may be states that do not require them, but they would be the rare exceptions.

Wrong.

Every new car sold in the US since 1968 has had sidemarkers.
Also collapsing steering columns, and lap and shoulder belts, and a number of other things.

- Eric
well when i think of side markers i think of the lights that are on the side of the car itself. my cruiser has the blinkers in the front and the back but none on the side of the car.
1315178544.jpg
well i guess my sidemarkers can be considered to be on the "side" of the car but the old's still has the two front side markers and the tails blink too.
Old January 29th, 2012, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rickman48
Did you ask here if anyone had them??
I'd put them back on, to avoid going to 'Gitmo', never to be seen again!!
naw i never asked but i found a complete assembly on ebay but i don't know if i should get it since i've already shaved them.
Old January 29th, 2012, 06:18 PM

Technically, removing a light is not recommended if the factory put it there.
However, side marker lights are not required to be checked during inspections in TX.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/insp...classsubmit=Go
I remember passing several times with a burned out side light. I asked an inspector about them before and he says he is not required to check them.
Old January 29th, 2012, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Technically, removing a light is not recommended if the factory put it there.
However, side marker lights are not required to be checked during inspections in TX.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/insp...classsubmit=Go
I remember passing several times with a burned out side light. I asked an inspector about them before and he says he is not required to check them.
thanx for the support lol :P