General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S MAG-7

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2023, 06:27 AM

Lightbulb 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S MAG-7

Hi. I am attempting to find more information on my father's "baby."

According to a VIN lookup, it is a

1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Colonnade
2dr Hardtop Coupe
8-cyl. 350cid/170hp 4bbl

But I can't figure out what the MAG-7 is or if that makes it as rare as this form says:

1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S MAG-7, which was a rare, dealer-ordered regional option package decor group."

Concerning the 1976-77 Olds Cutlass, there were about a 17 different regional versions all called different things, like “Carolina Cutlass,” “Cutlass Rocket,” “Cutlass Bostonian,” “Cutlass Edge,” “Cutlass Grand Olds Guys,” etc. Only about a hundred of each were made. Nearest I can work out, there was a 7 Oldsmobile dealer group somewhere in the US that called itself the “Magnificent 7” and badged their specific Y76 variation “MAG-7.” But they all came with chrome rallye sport mirrors, a sport steering wheel, and the vinyl roof/opera window treatment you see above.
I also found this confirming the above -- the car in the photo is identical to my father's.
Mag-7 This Cutlass has the Y76 package which was offered by select dealerships in 1976. The "MAG 7" tags on the side and rear trunk lid are that dealer's logo and were only placed on these Y76 cars. The Y76 package includes: chrome sports mirrors, argent colored super stock wheels, body accent stripes or specific emblems, modified roof with special landau top and salon steering wheel.https://public.fotki.com/mrblackwell...7/?view=roll#1/

Is this information correct?

If so, where was this MAG-7 produced? Is there a list of these "dealer-ordered regional option package decor groups anywhere?"

I have scoured the internet for hours looking for any information on the MAG-7, but it doesn't even seem to exist -- yet we have one.

Also, does the S mean Supreme or Salon, or neither, just a Cutlass S?

I don't have any good photos of his car, only a few from a parade. I can take more next time I see him if it will help.

Any leads would be appreciated.

Last edited by SH2006; May 13th, 2023 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Adding photo and additional information
Old May 13th, 2023, 08:29 AM
Oldsdruid

74-77 Cutlass S could have appearance option Y-76 "dealer marketing group car", which is what all the dealer and sales region packages were based on. Your dad's car has the chrome sport mirrors which along with opera windows and landau vinyl top are the quickest identification of a Y-76 car.

As the info above indicates, the different sales zones had their own names for these cars, and each had their own trinkety badging and/or striping. Some were tasteful, others weren't.

There was a fellow in Hungary of all places who had a pretty comprehensive list of the Y-76 optioned cars. I cannot remember his name or website. You might see if you can find some archived stuff from 73-77olds.com or oldspower.com. I don't think either of those websites are active now.

Last edited by rocketraider; May 13th, 2023 at 08:33 AM.
Old May 13th, 2023, 08:40 AM

Lightbulb List of regions?

Thank you for the reply. I tried to access those sites and noticed they were inactive now. Unsure how to find the archives, but I'll give it a shot.

Is there a list of these manufacturing regions anywhere? I have looked for hours but can't find them.
Old May 13th, 2023, 09:39 AM

I did a search and came across this that may add to the conversation: https://www.v8cars.hu/cutlass/stuff.php?page=y76
Old May 13th, 2023, 09:44 AM

And this: https://public.fotki.com/mrblackwell...6-option-cars/

Western PA was the "Grand Olds Gang" dealers. I remember them doing some special editions, also.
Old May 13th, 2023, 11:12 AM

If it's anything, it's a dealer package and means very little in terms of financial worth from rarity. 76 Cutlasses are near the bottom in desirability of the range of years the Cutlass was made.
Old May 13th, 2023, 11:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

The Y76 cars were simply stick-on appearance items that were marketed as "special editions" to build interest and showroom traffic.
Old May 13th, 2023, 11:41 AM
Oldsdruid

It's worth noting that not all Y-76 optioned cars got tagged with the sales zone marketing stuff.

Tell us where you're located and that might help us narrow down the sales zone that had the MAG-7. I've never heard of that particular one but blackwell's page shows it. He used to be a regular on the two defunct forums.
Old May 13th, 2023, 04:20 PM

Smile Location

My dad lives in Statesboro, GA. He bought it from a man also from Statesboro, GA. However, I think he said the car was originally from Illinois. I could pull a history on it, but they want $25, and that's steep for mere curiosity. LoL
Old May 13th, 2023, 04:43 PM

The Chicago area had the GMO (Gallant Men of Olds) edition.
Old May 13th, 2023, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by oldoldss
And this: https://public.fotki.com/mrblackwell...6-option-cars/

Western PA was the "Grand Olds Gang" dealers. I remember them doing some special editions, also.
Thanks for posting the link. I found the listings interesting. My brother-in-law bought an Iowa version called the "Ole" Olds Limited Edition. Now I finally know what it was.
Old May 13th, 2023, 09:29 PM
Oldsdruid

Waiting to hear back from some retired Olds zone sales folks. Hopefully they'll know about MAG-7 and maybe some others.
Old May 14th, 2023, 04:46 AM

Smile Thank you.

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Waiting to hear back from some retired Olds zone sales folks. Hopefully they'll know about MAG-7 and maybe some others.
Thank you! I really appreciate it.
Old May 14th, 2023, 04:49 AM

Question What does the 'S' mean?

Does the S mean Supreme or Salon, or neither, just a Cutlass S?
Old May 14th, 2023, 06:00 AM

You can check with GM heritage. Not sure if they have records for them but might be possible to get a copy of dealer invoice.
Old May 14th, 2023, 07:33 AM

The 1973-75 Cutlasses were available in six different models: Cutlass, Cutlass S, Cutlass Supreme, Cutlass Salon, 442, and Hurst Olds.
In 1976-77, the same models were available except Hurst, which was proposed but never built.
IIRC, Supreme and Salon had a formal roofline with opera windows, while the rest had a fastback style.
The Y76 regional 'Special Edition' featured the fastback style roofline but incorporated opera windows used in Chevy midsize cars (can't remember if Malibu, Monte Carlo or maybe both)
Old May 14th, 2023, 08:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Bill G
The 1973-75 Cutlasses were available in six different models: Cutlass, Cutlass S, Cutlass Supreme, Cutlass Salon, 442, and Hurst Olds.
Don't confuse models with trim packages. Models have unique VINs, trim packages do not. Body style is also not a different model line. The 442 stopped being a separate model line after the 1971 model year. The H/O was never a separate model line with a unique VIN (the 68-69 cars had 442 VINs, the 72 cars had Supreme VINs). For the 1973-77 cars, the second character of the VIN designates the model line.

For 1973, there were only three A-body model lines: the Cutlass (VIN F), Cutlass S (VIN G), and Cutlass Supreme (VIN J).
For 1974, there were were four: Cutlass (VIN F), Cutlass S (VIN G), Cutlass Supreme wagons (VIN H), and Cutlass Supreme coupes/sedans and Vista Cruiser (VIN J).
For 1975 there were five: Cutlass (VIN F), Cutlass S (VIN G), Cutlass Supreme wagons (VIN H), Cutlass Supreme coupes/sedans and Vista Cruiser (VIN J), and Cutlass Salon (VIN K).
For 1976 there were five: Cutlass S (VIN G), Cutlass Supreme wagons (VIN H), Cutlass Supreme coupes/sedans and Vista Cruiser (VIN J), Cutlass Salon (VIN K), and Cutlass Supreme Brougham (VIN M).
For 1977 there were five: Cutlass S (VIN G), Vista Cruiser (VIN H), Cutlass Supreme (VIN J), Cutlass Salon (VIN K), and Cutlass Supreme Brougham (VIN M).

The 1973 and 74 H/Os were legally a Cutlass S (VIN G with "37" body style)
The 1975 H/O was legally a Cutlass Supreme (VIN J with "57" body style)

Last edited by joe_padavano; May 14th, 2023 at 09:23 AM.
Old May 14th, 2023, 09:19 AM

Thanks for clarifying Joe- I should have written 'trim packages'
BTW, I know the 74 Salon was a trim package on the Supreme.
I was not aware that in 75 the Salon was a separate model, despite the years being almost identical, other than the addition of cats?
Old May 15th, 2023, 04:38 AM

Thumbs up Great information!

Thank you for the replies, they are very helpful. I appreciate you guys taking the time to pass on your knowledge.
Old May 15th, 2023, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by SH2006
Thank you for the reply. I tried to access those sites and noticed they were inactive now. Unsure how to find the archives, but I'll give it a shot.

Is there a list of these manufacturing regions anywhere? I have looked for hours but can't find them.
Try this one as well. They have a Facebook group as well.
Y76 Regional Cutlass (y76cutlass.com)

As for an archive, check the Wayback Machine, example:
https://web.archive.org/web/20230000.../73-77olds.com
However, individual pages on the forums may not have been saved, so may not be too useful.

Last edited by tva442; May 15th, 2023 at 10:27 AM.
Old May 16th, 2023, 04:17 AM

Talking That's it!

Originally Posted by tva442
Try this one as well. They have a Facebook group as well.
Y76 Regional Cutlass (y76cutlass.com)
That's it! That's the regional code list. You found it! It doesn't tell me WHERE it was built, but that any page references the MAG-7 is great.

And this WayBack machine is a great resource in general as well as for this. I'm going to bookmark it.

Originally Posted by tva442
As for an archive, check the Wayback Machine, example:
https://web.archive.org/web/20230000.../73-77olds.com
Thank you!

Last edited by SH2006; May 16th, 2023 at 04:22 AM.
Old May 16th, 2023, 04:33 AM

Arrow ChatGPT

I just asked ChatGPT, and it tells me:

"The manufacturing plant where the 1976/77 Cutlass MAG-7 was produced by Oldsmobile was located in Lansing, Michigan, United States. Lansing was the primary manufacturing location for Oldsmobile during that time period."
It had no idea what MAG-7 meant, so I asked it how many manufacturing plants were in Lansing, Michigan at that time.

It replied:

"In Lansing, Michigan, there were two main Oldsmobile manufacturing facilities: the Lansing Car Assembly Plant (also known as Lansing Assembly) and the Lansing Craft Centre.

The Lansing Car Assembly Plant, located on West Saginaw Street, was the primary manufacturing facility for Oldsmobile vehicles for many years. It produced various Oldsmobile models, including the Cutlass, Delta 88, and others.

The Lansing Craft Centre, located on West Malcolm X Street, was a separate facility primarily dedicated to the production of specialty and limited-edition vehicles. It was responsible for manufacturing certain models like the Oldsmobile Silhouette minivan and the Oldsmobile Aurora luxury sedan.

So, in total, there were two Oldsmobile manufacturing facilities in Lansing, Michigan: the Lansing Car Assembly Plant and the Lansing Craft Centre."
Next I asked it for a breakdown of the VIN.

The VIN you provided, 3G37R6M332533, corresponds to a 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S. Here is a breakdown of the information encoded in the VIN:
  1. First character (3): This identifies the country of origin. In this case, it indicates that the vehicle was manufactured in the United States.
  2. Second character (G): This represents the manufacturer. In this case, "G" corresponds to General Motors, which was the parent company of Oldsmobile.
  3. Third and fourth characters (37): These digits represent the body style. In this case, "37" indicates that it is a two-door coupe.
  4. Fifth character (R): This denotes the engine type. The letter "R" typically corresponds to a V8 engine.
  5. Sixth character (6): This represents the model year. In this case, "6" indicates that the vehicle is from the 1976 model year.
  6. Seventh character (M): This is the assembly plant code. Unfortunately, I do not have information about the specific plant associated with the "M" code.
  7. Eighth to thirteenth characters (332533): These digits make up the unique serial number of the vehicle, which differentiates it from other vehicles of the same make, model, and year.
Please note that without the specific assembly plant code, I am unable to provide the exact location where this particular vehicle was manufactured.

To determine the exact assembly plant associated with the "M" code in your VIN, I recommend consulting historical records, contacting Oldsmobile or General Motors, or reaching out to automotive forums or enthusiasts who may have access to more specific information about Oldsmobile Cutlass models from that era. These sources may be able to provide the assembly plant details based on the VIN or provide you with more specific information about the production history of your vehicle.

And once again, it does not know precisely what plant they manufactured it in (#6).

Then I asked Google's Bard to breakdown the VIN.
Sure. The VIN 3G37R6M332533 can be broken down as follows:
  • The first three characters (3G37) identify the manufacturer (General Motors) and the division (Oldsmobile).
  • The fourth character (R) identifies the body style (coupe).
  • The fifth character (6) identifies the engine (455 cubic inch V8).
  • The sixth character (M) identifies the transmission (3-speed automatic).
  • The seventh character (3) identifies the model year (1976).
  • The eighth character (3) identifies the plant where the car was built (Flint, Michigan).
  • The ninth character (2) is a check digit.
  • The last eight characters (532533) are the serial number.

The only constant is Michigan.

Now here is what it came up with when I asked it about MAG-7:
MAG-7 stands for "Maximum Articulation G-Body". It was a special edition of the 1976 and 1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass S that was designed for performance driving. The MAG-7 featured a number of performance upgrades, including a high-performance suspension, a larger engine, and wider tires. Only 1,500 MAG-7 Cutlasses were produced, making them a rare and sought-after collector's car.

Here are some of the performance upgrades that were included on the MAG-7 Cutlass:
  • High-performance suspension with stiffer springs and shocks
  • Larger 455 cubic inch V8 engine with 350 horsepower
  • Wider tires for improved grip
  • Special graphics and badging
The MAG-7 Cutlass was a popular choice for performance enthusiasts in the 1970s. It was a relatively affordable way to get a high-performance car that could handle well on the track or on the street. Today, the MAG-7 Cutlass is a rare and collectible car that is sought after by enthusiasts all over the world.

Of course, I take chatbot information with a grain of salt...

Last edited by SH2006; May 16th, 2023 at 05:06 AM.
Old May 16th, 2023, 04:46 AM

Smile Previous own ad

While I was researching the VIN, I found an OLD ad where a previous owner was selling the car my dad now owns.

It has better photos, so I thought I'd post the link here.

1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S 2 Door Coupe Rare MAG7 Edition for sale (topclassiccarsforsale.com)
Old May 16th, 2023, 05:09 AM

Exclamation Mag-7

I put this at the end of my last post, but I feel it is important enough to warrant its own post.

I asked Google Bard what MAG-7 meant, and it said this:
MAG-7 stands for "Maximum Articulation G-Body". It was a special edition of the 1976 and 1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass S that was designed for performance driving. The MAG-7 featured a number of performance upgrades, including a high-performance suspension, a larger engine, and wider tires. Only 1,500 MAG-7 Cutlasses were produced, making them a rare and sought-after collector's car.

Here are some of the performance upgrades that were included on the MAG-7 Cutlass:
  • High-performance suspension with stiffer springs and shocks
  • Larger 455 cubic inch V8 engine with 350 horsepower
  • Wider tires for improved grip
  • Special graphics and badging
The MAG-7 Cutlass was a popular choice for performance enthusiasts in the 1970s.

It was a relatively affordable way to get a high-performance car that could handle well on the track or on the street. Today, the MAG-7 Cutlass is a rare and collectible car that is sought after by enthusiasts all over the world.
It may have solved the mystery!
Old May 16th, 2023, 07:22 AM
Oldsdruid

You should take everything that chatbot told you with a whole shaker full of salt!😛

All ya had to do was ask.

3-Oldsmobile Division
G- Cutlass S
37- two door fastback coupe
R- Oldsmobile-built 350 cu in 4-barrel engine
6- 197​​​​6 model year
M- Lansing MI assembly plant
332533- car sequential serial number

Look underhood on the firewall and cowl area and you'll find the car's body data plate. It tells original paint and interior colors, time of year the car was built, and any options the Fisher Body plant had to make accommodations for. Tell us what's on that or post a picture of it and we can decode that too.

BTW, a 1976 Cutlass is an A body. The G body didn't show up until 1982 and the 455 was never available in them factory installed.

Last edited by rocketraider; May 16th, 2023 at 07:35 AM.
Old May 16th, 2023, 07:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

I put this at the end of my last post, but I feel it is important enough to warrant its own post.

I asked Google Bard what MAG-7 meant, and it said this:

It may have solved the mystery!
Considering that pretty much everything in that description is wrong, yeah, it has solved the mystery of "should I believe AI?"

Of course, the mystery of "why do people think everything they read on the interwebs is true?" remains.
Old May 16th, 2023, 07:36 AM

Thumbs up

Look underhood on the firewall and cowl area and you'll find the car's body data plate. It tells original paint and interior colors, time of year the car was built, and any options the Fisher Body plant had to make accommodations for. Tell us what's on that or post a picture of it and we can decode that too.
OK. I've passed the into on to my dad. I'll post it here as soon as he replies.

What does MAG-7 mean if that information is incorrect?
Old May 16th, 2023, 07:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

BTW, a 1976 Cutlass is an A body. The G body didn't show up until 1982 and the 455 was never available in them factory installed.
Actually, Glenn, the G-body nomenclature was first used in the 1969 model year for the Pontiac Grand Prix. It's even called out in the 1969 Fisher Body Manual. This was changed to "A-Special" in the 1970 model year for the GP and Monte Carlo.

Old May 16th, 2023, 08:38 AM
Oldsdruid

Well- I knew that but didn't see any point in muddying the waters further in this thread, when the AI info source had already done that.
Old May 16th, 2023, 08:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Well- I knew that but didn't see any point in muddying the waters further in this thread, when the AI info source had already done that.

Old May 16th, 2023, 09:42 AM
Oldsdruid

You have to remember there have been 1969 428/4-speed and 1970 400/TH400 Grand Prix in my past, along with a passel of Firebirds and TransAMs. I was in POCI for 18 years until they started allowing restamped body data plates. I saw that as opening the doors to fraud and left the group. But the restamps made a lot of GTO wannabes very happy.

If it hadn't been for Chevrolet sticking the Monte Carlo on the 116" WB Chevelle four-door chassis instead of using the GP's exclusive 118" WB chassis, you might have seen the original G-platform formal-roof coupe designation continue. Course you have to take the 70-72 Supreme coupe's 112" WB platform into account too. Three formal roof coupes on three different wheelbases. Two with long noses.

But all this has nothing to do with a 1976 Cutlass which was, is, and will always be a GM A platform car- except when AI says it's a G!😏
Old May 16th, 2023, 09:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

I was not aware of your Poncho dalliances.
I've always marveled at the wastefulness of the GP and Monte designs. Stretch the wheelbase with zero benefit to interior room - the complete opposite of the Vista Cruiser or even the extra three inches going from B-body to C-body. The extra length between the front of the door and the back of the front wheel opening on the GP is obvious, as is the world's longest fan shroud.
Old May 16th, 2023, 11:13 AM

That's it! That's the regional code list. You found it! It doesn't tell me WHERE it was built, but that any page references the MAG-7 is great.

And this WayBack machine is a great resource in general as well as for this. I'm going to bookmark it.

Thank you!

You are welcome! I knew I saw that site before and thought maybe helpful.

As for Wayback it is a great resource, enjoy.