General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1970 Cutlass Fender Emblems

Search this Thread

Old December 9th, 2011, 08:31 AM
wait.... what....

1970 Cutlass Fender Emblems

I am pretty sure that both of the fenders that are on my 70 Cutlass S are the original ones. That being said, would it have been possible for the "Cutlass" emblems to be placed in slightly different spots on the fenders from the factory? If i measure down from the contour line to the "Cutlass" emblem, the one on the drivers side is close to 1/2" lower than the passenger side. I measured the drivers side from another car once before and got the same measurement as my passenger side.
Old December 9th, 2011, 09:12 AM

You would not think so, as I assume they had a drill fixture that located off of a reliable datum and locating strategy ...but looking at those fenders, I am not sure what feature/s would have been used.. When I replaced my 70 factory fenders, I had very carefully measured and located the holes onto my new fenders using my old factory fenders. To my surprise my driver side Cutlass badge from the factory was not level. I only noticed this after installing the badge onto the new fender once it was on the car…. And I see it now on the old fender. Why I never noticed this before amazes me. One of my fenders had the A post bracket ¼” off which made fitting it impossible until I had relocated it ., so from experiences with these fenders, it seems very possible….my left and right seem to be in the same location to one another...