General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1970 cutlass dash painting??

Search this Thread

Old March 4th, 2011, 08:44 PM

1970 cutlass dash painting??

what is the best type of paint to paint my vinly dash with? im taking a dash oout of a 70 4 door cutlass parts car we bought and need to paint it, please let me know with some feedback! thanks
Old March 4th, 2011, 08:56 PM

Use SEM products without a doubt! I did a set of blue door panels along with seatbacks, seat aprons and kick panels and they all look great. TCP Global has anything you will need from original paint chips to custom mixes.
Old March 4th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by jkoester122
what is the best type of paint to paint my vinly dash with? im taking a dash oout of a 70 4 door cutlass parts car we bought and need to paint it, please let me know with some feedback! thanks
You don't paint this, you dye it with the color you want. Clean it really well, use an adhesion promoter if you are changing colors or feel you need it. Spray dye is easy to use and gets great results with very little cost.
Old March 6th, 2011, 10:59 AM
green 72

dash dye

i used dupli color vinyl and fabric coating w/ adhesion promoter. works great. got at pep boys for 13 bucks
Old March 6th, 2011, 06:29 PM

the dash is currently green, and i am wanting to paint it black... is the SEM product that comes in a spray can the dye stuff?
Old March 6th, 2011, 11:46 PM

You can use SEM Landau Black vinyl/plastic paint/dye.

>Get the pad CLEAN...scrub it with a stiff nylon bristle brush...clean it thoroughly (at least twice) with hot water and Dawn dishwashing soap.

>Let it dry thoroughly...especially if the pad has any dull/dry areas on the vinyl covering as those areas may be slightly porous.

>Blow it off with compressed air to get any lint, etc off the pad...go over it well and look closely at the pad to spot any of these miniscule pieces.

>You can use Bulldog brand adhesion promoter (usually available at O'Reilly's Auto Parts and auto paint supply places). FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE BULLDOG CAN!!!

>If you spray SEM out of a spray can then try to hold the can upright when spraying. SEM cans seem especially sensitive to being tilted and you can end up with a dry spray pattern in your finish.

>Decent temperatures...spray when it's at least 65-70 or more outside. Lower humidity also.

>Again, get the pad CLEAN first.

Different brands of vinyl paint/dye have different gloss levels...ie-one brand of "satin black" may be shinier than another brand labeled similarly.
Old March 7th, 2011, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by jkoester122
is the SEM product that comes in a spray can the dye stuff?
Yes, SEM is an INTERIOR PAINT, not a dye. The best one I know of.
I don't know why people still confuse this with dye.

I tried the Parts Place branded interior paints and they really sucked.

Originally Posted by 70Post
You can use SEM Landau Black vinyl/plastic paint/dye.
Yep. Same one I used on my 78 Z28's interior with a SEM Low Luster clear over it.
All my plastic interior panels look like new again.

The reason it's recommended to clear coat it AFTER painting is because the clear
has a rubberized texture that protects the painted surface against nicks and scratches.

For the dash.....maybe even a mid to higher clear luster.
My brand new 78z dash pad came out of the box looking like it was armor all'd. (semi-glossy)
I think it looks better then a flat style black personally. All newer cars that go through detail
shops get cleaned and shined up, so it's nothing different.

Last edited by Aceshigh; March 7th, 2011 at 03:06 AM.
Old March 7th, 2011, 02:59 AM
Registered

SEM Color Coat is paint, it is not a dye as said, check their site and they make sure you know several times.
SEM is okay for things that don't take a lot of wear like a dash pad but for seats and carpeting and stuff like that you use a dye product like Varikote.
It can also be used as a paint on hard surfaces with their adhesion promoter.
Make sure the paint doesn't have much gloss or all you'll see is the dash pad reflection in the windshield when you're driving.
Old March 7th, 2011, 04:39 AM

Yep go with SEM, The results are amazing with the proper steps taken. Its also great for touching up faded carpets too!!!
Old March 7th, 2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by HolidayCoupe
Its also great for touching up faded carpets too!!!

I would suggest buying fabric dye for things like this. Not spray paint......

Any hobby shop or Walmart carries it in their sewing dept. This is legitimate dye.
You buy a pump bottle and mix with water and spray on to the fabric to soak in and dye it.

Last edited by Aceshigh; March 7th, 2011 at 05:35 AM.
Old March 7th, 2011, 06:01 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Aceshigh

I would suggest buying fabric dye for things like this. Not spray paint......

Any hobby shop or Walmart carries it in their sewing dept. This is legitimate dye.
You buy a pump bottle and mix with water and spray on to the fabric to soak in and dye it.

Actually I had tried that already, worked great on my headliner but didnt work very well on some carpeting in my car, I guess what I meant was like carpeting on kick panels and consoles SEM works great. But that is a very good tip for others to try on cloth materials. Awesome!