General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1970 AC setup worth anything ???

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2011, 03:47 PM

1970 AC setup worth anything ???

Yanked out of a 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass S.
Not sure if it's worth trying to sell or just toss it ??

DSC03036.jpg
DSC03037.jpg
Old May 24th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I wouldn't toss it. These units are hard to come by in decent shape; which yours appears to be. Then again it also depends on whether you have the space time or patience to deal with it.

If you had the complete AC system (and I mean everything from vents, tubes, controls, brackets, compressor, POA, condensor etc) I would be interested if the price was right.
Old May 24th, 2011, 06:28 PM

i would cap off the open lines to keep contaminants out. i see many of them cracked on the engine side from people not being careful pulling the engine. if that one is not cracked i am sure you will be able to sell it and be worth your while.
Old May 24th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Aces, I've been curious about your sig line ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ. From what I've found on the web, it's ancient Greek
.......Μολὼν λαβέ was the defiant response of King Leonidas I of Sparta to Xerxes I of Persia at the onset of the Battle of Thermopylae (480 BC). Xerxes, whose forces vastly outnumbered the Spartans and their allies, offered to spare the lives of Leonidas and his few thousand warriors if they would only surrender and lay down their weapons.

Instead, the Spartans held Thermopylae for three days and, although they were ultimately annihilated, they inflicted serious damage upon the Persian army, and most importantly delayed its progress to Athens, providing sufficient time for the city's evacuation to Salamis Island.......
I think I get the idea of being the 'defiant one' and a leader in terms of being the master of your own build (and life in general?). Just curious. Is this the right thinking?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
molon lave.jpg (12.1 KB, 99 views)
Old May 24th, 2011, 07:14 PM

Any clues on value for said unit ?? I was going to toss it on Ebay with bidding, but I'm not a patient man.
When I have no use for something it's going to go quickly.
1 car garage with 2 motorcycles and an engine and trans being built......just no room.

Originally Posted by Allan R
Aces, I've been curious about your sig line ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ. From what I've found on the web, it's ancient Greek

I think I get the idea of being the 'defiant one' and a leader in terms of being the master of your own build (and life in general?). Just curious. Is this the right thinking?
Yes, that is the historical aspect of the phrase.
However, my usage is more inline with......

In the United States, the phrase is becoming a modern-day Second Amendment cry of resolve never to disarm in the face of compulsion.
BTW I have no idea what is what buy my car has almost everything.
I know for a fact I'm missing a few components, but I don't remember
what they are. I had a thread going late last year asking about what I was missing.

Last edited by Aceshigh; May 24th, 2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old May 24th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Allan, I think you need to see Aces's sig quote in the context of his location in the Chicago suburbs. Chicago has some of the most restrictive firearm laws in the US, and therefore, the threat of "jackbooted thugs," as the NRA appropriately labeled some of our friendly civil servants, coming to his, or anyone else's, home to take their weapons by force is not unrealistic.

Here in Maine, the cops' response to "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" would probably be, "No thanks, we've got plenty of our own!" but where he lives, even a person whose firearms are all in compliance with the (unconstitutional) local laws is potentially in danger.

- Eric
Old May 24th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
Any clues on value for said unit ?? I was going to toss it on Ebay with bidding, but I'm not a patient man.
When I have no use for something it's going to go quickly.
1 car garage with 2 motorcycles and an engine and trans being built......just no room..
Not sure myself, but I'd bet that if you listed it for around 50-75.00 it would be gone pretty quick. Maybe throw it out on the PFS on this site first?

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Allan, I think you need to see Aces's sig quote in the context of his location in the Chicago suburbs. Chicago has some of the most restrictive firearm laws in the US, and therefore, the threat of "jackbooted thugs," as the NRA appropriately labeled some of our friendly civil servants, coming to his, or anyone else's, home to take their weapons by force is not unrealistic.

Here in Maine, the cops' response to "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" would probably be, "No thanks, we've got plenty of our own!" but where he lives, even a person whose firearms are all in compliance with the (unconstitutional) local laws is potentially in danger.

- Eric
Thx Eric. It takes a little bit of work to wrap my head around the principles, but I think I understand the basics. Up here in Canada there are very restrictive firearms issues too. In spite of that, I do own several restricted weapons that are registered locally and federally. I would be in deep sh*t if I used them for self defense, which is a pity since Edmonton has the highest murder rate of any Canadian city right now. In some ways, the US Constitution has some advantages over ours, but I am bound to live within the constraints of my Country. Guess that's as far as I want to go with this, as it's bordering on the political nature we're asked not to venture into on this site.
Old May 24th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Can't disagree.

I am very fond of Canada and have great respect for both the country and its people.
I have, however, always maintained with utmost clarity the idea (difficult for some down here to grasp) that it is A DIFFERENT COUNTRY, with its own history, laws, currency, and customs.
I would not consider criticizing any of your laws in a way that would imply that I believed I knew what was best for your country (though I might bring them up in a discussion of our own laws here), because I definitely do not.

By the way, are you keeping up with the story of that bystander who was beat up by the Toronto cop at the protest rally last year? Seems now there's indisputable photographic evidence of what happened and who did it, but the Special Investigations Unit is claiming that the close-up photographs and a positive identification by the photographer do not constitute an identification of the officer who was in the wrong, and so have dropped the case. At least we don't have a monopoly of that sort of thing down here...

Cheers.

- Eric
Old May 24th, 2011, 09:00 PM

At least we don't have a monopoly of that sort of thing down here...
Oh yes we do......

I won't go into this any further tho because I don't want to derail this thread.

Last edited by Aceshigh; May 24th, 2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old May 24th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

...........By the way, are you keeping up with the story of that bystander who was beat up by the Toronto cop at the protest rally last year? Seems now there's indisputable photographic evidence of what happened and who did it, but the Special Investigations Unit is claiming that the close-up photographs and a positive identification by the photographer do not constitute an identification of the officer who was in the wrong, and so have dropped the case. At least we don't have a monopoly of that sort of thing down here...Cheers. - Eric
Eric, If you only knew. We constantly get bombarded with 'wrongdoings caught on tape' and aired over the media. Pick one: Vancouver RCMP Taser a man to death, Whyte Avenue riot, 4 Local cops suspended (ha with pay) brutalize prisoner in hallway, RCMP caught on tape kicking and beating a woman in Eastern AB. I think there's indisputable recognition in the evidence submitted that would would suggest that there's a breaking point even amongst our finest who are sworn to uphold the law. I respect the police service and the tough job they do. They also need to be highly aware they are the front line that protects society, and also role models for society. So it's very difficult when we hear about these specially trained people going astray. I'm glad I don't have to do their job.

You are right about individual Countries laws, constitutions, customs etc. I think we all respect each others values. Heck I can criticize my countries laws and such because the politics in Canada almost create the playing field for it. Somehow we manage to get along and survive.

One thing I note of difference between Canada and the US. The USA is a 'melting pot' of cultures; out of which emerges the American culture. Canada is a 'Multicultural' country. What does that mean? In a nutshell I think it means there are fewer and fewer Canadians because all the ethnic 'naturalized Canadians' seem to have loyalties to their 'homeland' culture instead of their newfound homes culture. And we buy into that.....Man I'm way too oldschool. Ok my rant is done. Gotta be good and polite.
Old May 24th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Yes. I have followed your brother's story, and I am sorry to say it had slipped my mind.

I guess my threadjacking was almost apropos.

Sorry for getting off of the topic of A/C parts.

And, to steer it back, by all means recycle that puppy back to someone who needs it. This $h|+ is geting harder and harder to find, and someone will be grateful to you for not trashing it.

- Eric
Old May 24th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Oh, and don't get me wrong, I have worked shoulder to shoulder with the NYPD in one of my past lives, and I would not criticize a cop lightly, and will always give them the benefit of the doubt, when there is a doubt (I am way too familiar with the subhuman dreck they have to deal with every day). When they're dead wrong, though, I'm sorry, but that's just not cool.

Back to out regularly scheduled A/C discussion...

- Eric
Old May 24th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Just an Olds Guy

X2 Aces. Sorry this got carried away.
FWIW, I did a quick web search and found a bare bones unit that's got a buy it now for 75.00. So you should have no problems selling yours for the $50-75 I was originally thinking about. http://cgi.ebay.ca/68-72-Chevelle-Cu...item5d2215c0e3
Old May 24th, 2011, 10:36 PM

Thanks guys, this helps.

I forgot that all A-body's shared the same components for this stuff.
I can advertise it to GTO , Buick, and Chevelle guys as well.

Durka durka. I'll clean it up and see if I can pull the rest of it out and sell it.
Old May 25th, 2011, 05:26 AM

Yep - sell it - don't chunk it!
That 50 can at least get you a few small parts for your project!
Old May 25th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Not an Olds guy. Car guy

The outer cases are good for all 69-72 A Bodies although the inlet on the evap is a little longer than the Chevelle unit. It is worth a couple of hundred to the right buyer if the expansion, evaporator, and POA valve is still in working order.

I would toss it up for auction on eBay and use that money for other projects.

Andy
Old May 25th, 2011, 01:34 PM

At least if I get a $100 I can put a small dent in the total cost of the new Autometer Phantom II series gauges.
Old May 26th, 2011, 12:01 AM
GM's Best Division

I've got one in good condition to plus the heater core housing. I was thinking of listing mines as well, don't want to put them up at the same time! That could be a $100 or more towards my secretly hidden Ram -Air Hood that hasn't been on a car in 17 years. Sounds strange but I sold it to a friend, he sold it and then it just sat hanging in a garage.