General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1970 442 18,000 mile orig unrestored

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2013, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by wmachine
I'm glad you were able to appreciate the color. There is not a color out there that can't be appreciated for what it is. Like Greg says, "it is what it is". I think think it is pretty cocky of anyone when they think their "opinion" has more significance than the car itself does.

My favorite color is "original".
I think you are completely taking Greg H comments out of context.

Greg
Old December 15th, 2013, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ctls442
I received a private message asking for clarification on the spare tire numbers that match the frame. There is a two or three digit (don't remember exactly at the moment) number in white, on the spare tire sidewall. The pictures Greg G posted earlier show part of the number (a 2). The first time Greg saw the car he walked around to the passenger side front wheel well area, and sure enough, the same two or three digit number is clearly seen in that area, on the side of the frame. Hope that helps. Greg H
The spare tire is only one of many parts that have this # on them. These parts were all marked with this body sequential # so the correct parts were installed on the correct car.

Greg
Old December 15th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Shoveling Snow

My 67 442 was marked in much the same way with the number that was on the spare.

Old December 15th, 2013, 06:29 PM

Very nice! Thanks so much for sharing this car with us. That is a very good green color! Mine was lime vodka vomit color originally.
Old December 15th, 2013, 07:26 PM
car guy

Amazing car!! I would leave it just like it is except for maybe the mud flaps.
Old December 15th, 2013, 07:44 PM

Literally too valuable to disturb.
Old December 15th, 2013, 07:47 PM

Greg and Greg ty for the great share, car is beautiful
Old December 16th, 2013, 01:52 PM

Very nice car! I love the 4 speed and the color combo.
Old December 16th, 2013, 02:00 PM
delete

Very nice car & I like it with those wheels & hood.
Its a factory painted roof car?
Old December 16th, 2013, 02:14 PM

That's one hell of a car! Hard to believe somebody could let a car sit like that and not drive it, I know I wouldn't be able to do that
Old December 16th, 2013, 05:09 PM

I love the green. In fact, I just did a frame-off on a '72 Sequoia Green and Saddle. And, I agree with "rocket doc" about NOT reproducing the flaws. I will go as far as saying I do NOT like seeing "correct " overspray on manifolds, rocker panels, etc.........unless of course it was put there by the General in Lansing.
Old December 16th, 2013, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Siltman
I love the green. In fact, I just did a frame-off on a '72 Sequoia Green and Saddle. And, I agree with "rocket doc" about NOT reproducing the flaws. I will go as far as saying I do NOT like seeing "correct " overspray on manifolds, rocker panels, etc.........unless of course it was put there by the General in Lansing.
I guess everyone has there own opinion but I do all the overspray etc.I guess I do things a little over the top.

Greg
Old December 16th, 2013, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by droptopron
Very nice car & I like it with those wheels & hood.
Its a factory painted roof car?
Yes it is a factory paint top. You wouldnt believe the factory paint masking flaws they left in the roof.

Greg
Old December 16th, 2013, 05:44 PM

Nice Olds, like the green, the clear overflow kit as I understand was a dealer install on 455, think the factory did it in '71. Hard to beleive a guy could resist the urge to put it through the gears.
Old December 16th, 2013, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ctls442
I received a private message asking for clarification on the spare tire numbers that match the frame. There is a two or three digit (don't remember exactly at the moment) number in white, on the spare tire sidewall. The pictures Greg G posted earlier show part of the number (a 2). The first time Greg saw the car he walked around to the passenger side front wheel well area, and sure enough, the same two or three digit number is clearly seen in that area, on the side of the frame. Hope that helps. Greg H
Greg, first off, what an awesome car! Thanks for posting!! I'd love to see some underside detail shots sometime. On the numbers on spare And frame, you are correct, as my '71 W-30 had the same 4 digit numbers on spare(tire and inside wheels) on right side front frame, and on the back side of dash.
Also, very interesting pics of deck lid stripes , that stop short on deck lid and quarters. I also have an original paint '70 W-30 the same way. I just wish the "experts" from the OCA that deducted points a few years back for "incorrect trunk stripes " would notice details like that!
Old December 16th, 2013, 07:33 PM
GM Enthusiast

Very nice, thanks for posting. I would like to see some detailed pictures of the undercarriage if you guys get a chance.

My favorite color too.
Old December 17th, 2013, 01:57 PM

Thank you for all the positive comments on the car. It has been interesting to get the varying opinions on the wheels, as I have gone back and forth myself. If anyone happens to have any NOS or early take-off 14 x 7 SSIs (either the design with the trim ring, or the all chrome 1971 design) they would consider parting with, please send me a private message. Greg H
Old December 17th, 2013, 02:37 PM

I DIG IT! I like the wheels and tires. Great day two mods on it. I like that it is not striped like a w-30 but has the intake . What about the cam is it a w-30 thumper too ?
Old December 17th, 2013, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by rcktdoc
This car is one of if not the best original survivor muscle cars I have ever seen. We did a detail and some minor touchup.Most all original tags and markings are in place. Car is 99% original paint and stripes. All Chrome emblems glass etc are original as assembled and are in near flawless condition. Frame has its original paint. The owner had given a brief description in the other 70 442 thread so I wont get into that. Pics arent the best,cramped for room and with several inches of new snow didnt want to pull it outside. Hope you all enjoy. Pics will be posted soon. Either I or owner will answer any ?s you might have. Thanks The other thread is.....My 70 442 only had 15k mies in 1983

Greg
Old December 17th, 2013, 05:30 PM

Hey Greg curious what you are asking for this .
Old December 17th, 2013, 06:00 PM

In the first place its not my car and in the second place its NOT forsale.

Greg
Old December 17th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Kjr442

Nice car, I would leave it just like it is. I love the story, and it is great that you have all you need to back the story up.
Just think of all the cars we have seen that had the wrong parts on them, and we could only guess as to how , or when the changes were made.
Old December 17th, 2013, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by tdarling
Hey Greg curious what you are asking for this .
I am guessing from the user name this is Tim who recently bought my orange W-31? Tim, This car is not for sale. Hope you are enjoying your new W-Machine. Greg H
Old December 17th, 2013, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by kjr442
Nice car, I would leave it just like it is. I love the story, and it is great that you have all you need to back the story up.
Just think of all the cars we have seen that had the wrong parts on them, and we could only guess as to how , or when the changes were made.
Buying an original owner car definitely takes the guesswork out of where the car has been, and what's been done to it. I have kept in touch with the seller. When I get up to speed with technology I will post some pictures of the car outside with the original owner. Greg H
Old December 17th, 2013, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by firefrost gold
I DIG IT! I like the wheels and tires. Great day two mods on it. I like that it is not striped like a w-30 but has the intake . What about the cam is it a w-30 thumper too ?
The engine internals are original, and stock (not W-30).
Old December 18th, 2013, 09:05 AM

my opinion

In the first place its not my car and in the second place its NOT forsale.

Greg

Every car is for sale. It's just a matter of how much money.
Old December 18th, 2013, 04:00 PM

Wow, I love legitimate time machines, more pics would be appreciated.
Old December 18th, 2013, 06:26 PM

Absolutely a beautiful machine. Great story. A friend of mine had a 71 in this same color scheme and he was almost as finicky about caring for it except he put about 100k mi on it in 2 years. Man, it is your car. enjoy it and show it the way you want. When it comes time to sell you have all the original stuff to put the car back to showroom stock! Thanks for sharing!
Old March 23rd, 2014, 04:28 PM

Any chance to get some more detailed photos of this car when the weather warms up? I would love to see some engine close ups and some undercarriage shots.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Not everyone can stumble upon a great find like this in their lifetime. Beautiful car!
Old March 23rd, 2014, 05:25 PM

What a score I love it !!!!!
best of luck with the car what a neat time capsule!!!!!!
Old March 24th, 2014, 01:00 PM

Very Cool 442, thanks for sharing and BTW more details photos are welcome : )
Old March 24th, 2014, 05:17 PM

Very cool.

Yes please more underhood pics. Specifically firewall and intake manifold areas.
Old March 24th, 2014, 05:38 PM

My question is why are so many of these old survivor cars green? I owned a survivor 64 Impala that was green and that was the only thing I hated about the car, I owned it for 20 years and never liked it because of the color.
Old March 24th, 2014, 05:52 PM

Not sure why green but my '65 442 car that I got in January of "75 is/was green, still have it, color now is '65 dark red. Green was a hot color back in the day, when I first painted it I used "76 Cutlass Metallic green.
Old March 24th, 2014, 06:09 PM

Thank you for sharing. Your car is beautiful. Green is right-on with a white interior. - Steven
Old March 24th, 2014, 06:13 PM

Well that is probably the most beautiful girl I have ever seen... and I just died.
Old March 24th, 2014, 06:38 PM
Runner

Very awesome! Thanks for sharing.
Old February 28th, 2016, 10:34 AM

Were additional photos ever posted?

Dark green with white is always nice - it is when you see a green exterior, green interior, and possibly a green vinyl top, that you see many survivors since most of us youngsters at the time would had passed on those cars and allowed them to survive in one piece and/or in original condition.

The 442 would look great with the original SS-II rims, especially since many of the argent color SS-II rims have been repainted and they never seem to match the deep flat "charcoal" color of the originals. The SS-II rims would also give more "flash" to the 442 by adding additional chrome and polished stainless steel.

As for the OEM OAI hood and air cleaner, I would leave them, along with the OEM W-30 intake manifold. Not surprisingly, many 70-72 non-W30 cars were fitted with an over-the-counter factory aluminum intake manifold back in the day to save weight without going the aftermarket route.

I had also notice the original BF Goodrich Radial T/A tires with their smaller lettering. It was always hoped that BF Goodrich and other manufacturers would go back to the smaller sized lettering, but maybe they will one day if enough ask for them. My original BF Goodrich "Belted" T/A tires almost always get a double look since the "Radial" is missing. Of course they are only for show, even though they have very low mileage, due to their age.
Old February 28th, 2016, 10:57 AM

Yes it is a factory paint top. You wouldnt believe the factory paint masking flaws they left in the roof.

Greg
I would.I worked next to the "lead line" in 1972 in the Framingham plant.

The rood seams were slathered with molten lean, then ground down and finished with a file....

The line folks had 60 seconds to do their work, and it was not done with any level of care.

So if you see an A body hardtop, look closely at the front and rear pillars.

BTW, the "lead line" had many folks go out on disability with lead poisoning. There was lead dust EVERYWHERE.

Quick Reply: 1970 442 18,000 mile orig unrestored