General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1969 Hurst/Olds prototype clone at MCACN

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2018, 12:36 PM
Gearhead

1969 Hurst/Olds prototype clone at MCACN

There were some really nice Oldsmobiles at MCACN in addition to the W-31s. This one grabbed you as soon as you walked into the auditorium. It's a clone of the 1969 Hurst/Olds prototype, elephant tusks and all. The hood scoop is different, there are the bulges at the rear of the hood, the paint was a very pearlescent white, and obviously the spoiler is different.

rHeXfiB.jpg

CZkSDJD.jpg
Old November 22nd, 2018, 12:45 PM

who says it is a CLONE?
Old November 22nd, 2018, 12:51 PM

i think its the real car..not a clone....
Old November 22nd, 2018, 12:59 PM
Gearhead

OK, maybe I stand corrected. I thought it was a clone.
Old November 22nd, 2018, 05:01 PM
1971 442 conv

The car was restored by Level One Restoration, same shop that did Lee Pearl’s gold W30 few years back.
Here is a link to the Hurst/Olds restoration, as well some of the pictures I took Saturday:

https://levelonerestoration.com/port...lds-prototype/

Old November 22nd, 2018, 06:39 PM

Beautiful car but that spoiler seems like the equivalent of having an anchor dragging on the back of the car. Thank God they changed "that" design.
Old November 23rd, 2018, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Texas442
The car was restored by Level One Restoration, same shop that did Lee Pearl’s gold W30 few years back.
Here is a link to the Hurst/Olds restoration, as well some of the pictures I took Saturday:

https://levelonerestoration.com/port...lds-prototype/

It is the original car. This car was changed to the 1969 H/O we all know after approval from Oldsmobile except it kept the pearl white paint. I was given to a Hurst exec as a company car and beat on until the 517 cu in motor was blown and replaced with a 455. It surfaced in 1972 delivered to a dealership with another used '69 H/O on a car hauler (possibly another Hurst owned car). The above car still wore the original pearl white paint at that time. The rear glass above holding all of the data about the car is original from the car with remnants of the gold dye from the stripe on it.
Old November 24th, 2018, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by marxjunk
i think its the real car..not a clone....
I disagree, In my opinion It's a clone. It maybe a true 69 Hurst/Olds that I don't know about or care. You can do some homework and find out there was only one like this one..The reason they didn't restore it a few years back to original prototype specs, is that they did not have the original prototype parts anymore. They were removed almost 50 years ago from the car. Obviously someone fabricated the spoiler and scoop. look for them to be 4 sale soon and we should have multiples 69 H/O prototypes running around everywhere. This is starting to become like the 1966 Batmobile and the famed 1969 Hurst Convertible. There was only one original 1966 Batmobile and 3 copies were made by Barris. Now 100's and 100's of 1966 Batmobiles clone copies have been made. I also laughed when the 55 Chevy (camera car) from two-lane black-top went up for sale. Do your homework and you will see that car could no way be from that Movie. They were used in American Graffiti and one totaled. My 2 cents.

The picture below is the original.

Last edited by GoodOldsGuyDougie; November 24th, 2018 at 08:32 PM.
Old November 24th, 2018, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by GoodOldsGuyDougie
It's a clone. You can do some homework and find out there was only one like this and it was found a few years back and restored to look like an original Hurst Olds not the prototype. It made the cover of a few Magazines and was well written about, including on this excellant board. The below picture is the original.

Please do not take my questions and comments as argumentative. I am only trying to learn all I can about the '69 prototype. I have never seen this photo in color before. What I can tell you about is the car being discussed by the OP. The car was verified as the prototype car years ago but it was restored to look like an original H/O. There were discussions as well as magazine articles about it. It went to auction maybe three years ago and was bought by the Brothers Collection. Chuck Miller, original builder of the '69 prototype verified it was the car. Level One restored the car back to what it looked like as the prototype and unveiled it at MCACN.

Last edited by timholliday; November 24th, 2018 at 09:02 PM.
Old November 25th, 2018, 12:59 AM

It's all good pal, It's just my opinion on the car. Okay back to the car itself: So if this is the original Prototype car (with the only thing original the body!) it comes without the original engine, without the original transmission, Replica rear Spoiler and replica Hood scoop and other replica or replacement parts, etc etc etc. No thanks.
Old November 25th, 2018, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by GoodOldsGuyDougie
It's all good pal, It's just my opinion on the car. Okay back to the car itself: So if this is the original Prototype car (with the only thing original the body!) it comes without the original engine, without the original transmission, Replica rear Spoiler and replica Hood scoop and other replica or replacement parts, etc etc etc. No thanks.
You definitely have a point. Sure glad the design didn't get approved.
Old January 14th, 2020, 10:23 AM

This is the original prototype car I was the one who owned it and did the research. The car is original body with recreated spoilers in original configuration. The car was confirmed by Chuck Miller who painted it for George Hurst and Don Morton who owned it after Hurst used it for promotion of the 1969 year model. I have the total title history of the car, so please squash your false opinions. Really irritates me when people who don't know the car claim it is false without doing any research. I spent 3 years tracking down the history which wouldn't of happened without the help of Doc Watson, Chuck Miller, and Don Morton.
Old January 14th, 2020, 11:05 AM

At the 20:47 mark, Kurt Karch talks about the prototype.

Old January 14th, 2020, 11:11 AM

I don't care what Kurt Karch says, I owned it and did all the study and research on the car. I got the truth from the people who were there. He thinks he's the expert on the car but doesn't know anything about the truth of the car. Sorry but it is true, you can believe what you want but I know what the car is. If his ego cant handle that then that's his problem.
Old January 14th, 2020, 11:12 AM

And oh my he has a GIGANTIC EGO!!
Old January 14th, 2020, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Marcusmaxis
This is the original prototype car I was the one who owned it and did the research. The car is original body with recreated spoilers in original configuration. The car was confirmed by Chuck Miller who painted it for George Hurst and Don Morton who owned it after Hurst used it for promotion of the 1969 year model. I have the total title history of the car, so please squash your false opinions. Really irritates me when people who don't know the car claim it is false without doing any research. I spent 3 years tracking down the history which wouldn't of happened without the help of Doc Watson, Chuck Miller, and Don Morton.
JMO, but if you could elaborate to educate the masses that may be interested on what you know, that would be far more beneficial than ragging on people that have opinions that you feel may not align with what you've learned. Instead of saying "That's wrong, your full of *****," it is better when we can all learn. The thing that peeves me off the most is when someone lords information over others like a sword but yet won't share the information. These cars are over 50 years old for cripes sake. There shouldn't be any secrets. And I'm guessing a lot of people that bought them new are 6 feet under so they won't be sharing any info about them. Just sayin'. It's a unique car and not everyone knows the ins and outs of that car but would like to.

I researched the gold paint formula for at least 2 years and finally got DuPont working with Demmer to make a base/clear formulation for it. And I shared it with everyone I knew.
Old January 14th, 2020, 11:20 AM

Did you not read the Hemmings article?
Old January 14th, 2020, 11:24 AM

I talked to Kurt Karch and he didn't want to listen.The guy thinks he is the end all expert on everything Hurst. The guy is one of the most proud individuals I have ever met. I don't have time for people how are ego maniacs and wont listen to anyone. I know what I found on the car is FACT. and have the evidence to prove it. It would take about an hour to hour and a half to explain and go through the details. If you want to come over some evening I would be happy to explain it all to you.
Old January 14th, 2020, 11:47 AM

What I meant was you could share the information here where ALL of us can be educated on what you know about the car. Most people are glad to talk about their cars here. But without the shots of Hateorade. Man, why you gotta be like that? Ain't nobody stepping on your toes and I don't know why you have to go off like an IED on everyone who comments in this thread you disagree with.
Old January 14th, 2020, 11:51 AM

Because the guy did step all over my toes and is a liar about the story of the car. There is some truth in what he says but the other 50% are pure lies. I have no respect for a liar.
Old January 14th, 2020, 11:53 AM

Im sorry but when someone like him is as dishonest and disrespectful as he was towards me I am going to give him both barrels
Old January 14th, 2020, 12:02 PM

Cool car, I've never seen this before. Is that red "HO" in the rear wing a CHMSL (center high-mounted stop lamp)? If so, chalk that up as another Olds innovation / idea more than a decade ahead of its time.
Old January 14th, 2020, 12:08 PM

No the original did not light up. The Brothers Collection did that.
Old January 14th, 2020, 07:21 PM

until the 517 cu in motor was blown and replaced with a 455.

Anyone info about a "Olds 517 Cubic Inch Motor" ?
Old January 15th, 2020, 07:01 AM

It was custom built by Oldsmobile
Old January 15th, 2020, 09:46 AM

For what it’s worth, I know Kurt, and he and his wife are very nice people. It’s unfortunate that this has to become personal.
Old January 15th, 2020, 06:57 PM

I’m curious. What is it exactly that you and Kurt are in disagreement about, regarding this H/O?
Old January 16th, 2020, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Stefano
I’m curious. What is it exactly that you and Kurt are in disagreement about, regarding this H/O?
Good question. To simply say "wrong wrong wrong" without explaining which half is accurate and which half isn't...kind of an empty allegation. It's easy to say you have the facts when you're not sharing any.

And WE'RE not Kurt, so please quit taking it out on us if you have a beef with him.
Old January 16th, 2020, 02:42 PM

No dog in this disagreement but I believe it is the real car as stated . Thanks for pictures of a cool car.
Old January 16th, 2020, 06:21 PM

Cool 517 engine

I attended the H/O nationals back in July. Two of the special guests that were there was Doc. Watson and Chuck Miller I felt like I was in the presences of Royalty. At a get together they were sitting at a table so I went up to them to talk about the car. (the Proto type) I asked Doc. how they came up with the 517 and Doc. told me they took a 455 bored it out and put a stroker crank in it to get to 517. I knew that Doc. had blown up the engine so I figured I would have some fun. I asked Doc. "didn't you blow that engine up?" Chuck just starts laughing, Doc. looked like a kid who got caught with his hand in the cookie jar and protested "I still won the Race". After all the laughter they also told me that the first design ( the elephant tusk car) was turned down the second attempt was approved and that is what we have today. And yes I am a Dick! Guy
Old January 16th, 2020, 07:01 PM

H/O national in July of what year?

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2015/0...son-1940-2015/
Old January 16th, 2020, 07:06 PM

It was Last year 2019 in Carmel Indiana
Old January 16th, 2020, 07:14 PM

Jack "Doc" Watson passed away 8/2/15

Old January 16th, 2020, 07:21 PM

Did I tell you that I'm stupid also. It was Don Morton who I talked to. Sorry
Old January 16th, 2020, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by hurst68olds
Undoubtedly lots of guys with the surname Watson get tagged with the nickname “Doc,” but in the case of Jack “Doc” Watson, it was earned. Both inside and outside General Motors, the engineer and businessman made many contributions to the betterment of the high-performance automobile. Doc, a resident of White Lake, Michigan, passed away August 2 at the age of 75.

According to George Mattar’s profile in the November 2004 issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines, Doc started out working with legendary Corvette engineer Zora Arkus-Duntov and developing “Super Duty” groups for each GM division – including dropping large-displacement engines in the Y-body senior compacts for evaluation purposes, and arranging for Pontiac to obtain use of Hurst floor shifters as factory equipment.

Doc’s Hurst connection would bring him into that company, where he would eventually rise to become president of Hurst Performance Research, based in Madison Heights, Michigan.

During his time at Hurst, Doc brainstormed the “Hurst Hairy Oldsmobile” in 1966. Named in a nod to Billy Murray’s bouncy ditty of 1905, the Hairy Olds was a four-wheel drive exhibition piece using dual 425-cu.in. V-8s and transaxles from the new Toronado in the body shell of an Olds 4-4-2. The result was a crazy smoke show that was wildly popular on the exhibition circuit.

More famously, Doc learned that his boss, George Hurst, had transplanted a massive 455-cu.in. V-8 into a new 1968 4-4-2, creating a combination not available from Oldsmobile due to a corporate edict prohibiting engines in excess of 400 cubic inches in the A-body cars. Inspired, Doc had special paint, a Hurst shifter, engine mods, and walnut interior trim added to create the prototype Hurst/Olds. The Hurst/Olds was an immediate success, selling 515 in 1968 and nearly double that the following year. The Hurst/Olds would remain as long as the rear-drive Cutlass, with Doc building four in the last year of the G-body, 1988.

As of 2004, Doc was working to develop a military vehicle at his Michigan company. More recently, Doc was known for his philanthropy and community involvement in Flint and Detroit. He helped start both the Woodward Dream Cruise and Flint’s popular Back to the Bricks cruise. He is also credited with inspiring Flint’s series of downtown statues honoring automotive pioneers.
Old January 16th, 2020, 07:35 PM

thank you Charlie
Old January 16th, 2020, 08:06 PM

He was a great guy. Every time I spoke with him at events over the years he was very humble. I have a lot of great memorabilia from him that I cherish. RIP
Old January 30th, 2020, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Marcusmaxis
So the original prototype body WITH: non original Engine, non original Transmission, Non original Rear End, Non original paint, non original Spoiler, non original Scoop, non original int, non original etc etc etc. That history is documented.