General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1969 cutlass 4 door. Isit worth it?

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2012, 10:17 AM

1969 cutlass 4 door. Isit worth it?

I found one of these with very little rust and decent interior but without engine or tranny, the price is $800. I can't seem to find any real info on these except there were relatively few made and parts are more expensive and hard to find. Just trying to get some educated advice on whether it's worth restoring or not.

Thanks,
Eric
Old June 30th, 2012, 10:25 AM

If you are looking to restore it with the intent to sell at a profit, don't waste your time. If you want to trestore it and keep it and use, then maybe. Without an engine or transmission, you are already behind the 8 ball cost wise. If the interior is good that's a plus. They don't repro 4 door parts, and many 4 doors have been crushed.
Old June 30th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Administrator

I would buy a 2 dr or if a 4dr is required, that is already running. Get as much car as your budget will allow. You will be way more dollars ahead!
Old June 30th, 2012, 11:55 AM

like mentioned above, if you are wanting it to fix it up it is not worth it. most of the time you will lose money when fixing any of these cars up and even more so when you do a 4 door. "is it worth it"? well maybe.... if you want it to part it out and it is real solid with real nice parts and lots of good options then it would likely be worth it. just a mater of what you want to do with it and what is there and the condition of what is there.
Old June 30th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Oldsdruid

If it's a hardtop (no center post between door windows), probably worth it. Sedan (post between door windows) with no drivetrain, probably not unless you have one laying around looking for a home.

A four-door can make a nice driver, and even a post sedan is light-years ahead of current boring-mobiles in the styling department.

All depends on your intended use of it, and how much is required to get it running.

Odds are the poor car gave up its drivetrain for a 2-door hardtop or convertible. You really wanna **** me off, steal a 455 out of a nice big car or Toronado of any bodystyle to put in a Cutlass. Swiping it out of a junker is one thing, but I've seen too many people pull 455s out of really nice big cars and that is, to be kind, sinful. You do something like that, you're a jerk, don't care who you are.
Old June 30th, 2012, 01:08 PM

I agree with the other comments. But I will add that I've got a 1967 Cutlass 4 door that I use as a daily driver. Its not perfect, but cleaner than average and I get complements on it. So if you had an extra 350/TH350 laying around and could make it a driver without a large investment it might be fun.

Since you said the car has very little rust and pretty clean on the inside, the other thing that can be done if you have the time is part it out. Front fenders, core support, grills, headlight panels, bumpers, rear end all interchange with the more popular 2 door models. As would the dash, steering column, brakes (drum or disc up front?) seat belts, kick panels, AC system or non-AC parts. Then back to the body the trunk lid, often called a deck lid is the same on 4 doors as convertibles. So if that's not rusty I'm sure you can find someone with a convertible interested in it.

If you had the time and space you could probably sell parts and scrap out the rest. In my part of the country scrap metal prices would probably bring $350-400 for the car without the motor/transmission. So if you could talk them down on the price a little you wouldn't get rich parting it out. But if you enjoy turning wrenches and can do it in your spare time it may be worth while. John
Old June 30th, 2012, 01:51 PM

if you decide not to get it you may post it here and let others here have a chance at it.

X2 on what john said. if there is an engine and transmission laying around you can use it would make a good driver for not alot of money if that is all it needs.
Old June 30th, 2012, 09:29 PM

Thanks everyone, the car is outside of little rock Arkansas and isn't posted online as far as I know, I found it in a little rock newspaper. For me I have some extra parts including a 350/350 combo out of a convertible. I plan to rebuild them and eventually put them back in the convert, which has a donor rebuilt 350/350 out of a donor CS. I would have to buy it and tow it 100 miles then ship it back to CA so by that time I would be in too deep. I just hate to see any old Cutlass go to scrap but I don't have the time or money for this one I don't think. Seeing that they only made a few thousand of these they may nt be that desirable now but maybe in another 20 years they will. I'm not sure if I am supposed to post info from a newspaper here but if it is ok and there is interest I will post it in the cars for sale area. The ad was in the Friday June 29th classifieds of the Arkansas democrat gazette.
Old June 30th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Just an Olds Guy

From what you've just said, I would say "No, it's not worth it" You can speculate on the next 20 years all you want. My money would be on there will prolly be a ban on old cars in the next 20 years unless they're in a museum. That's just the way the world is turning now.

None of us like to see an old car go to the crusher. Don't get so emotionally attached to it when reality is it's not special. Know why there weren't many made? There was NO DEMAND for them. Simple economics of production isn't going to change the valuation on today's market.
Old June 30th, 2012, 09:54 PM

Def not emotionally attached but it would be extremely upset if they ban old cars. But I can see them trying, I live in Cali where they recently banned playing ball and digging holes in the sand in the beach....... And everyone drives a Prius!!! Who knows I may throw an electric engine in the coupe........ Don't think so

There are plenty of other more "worthy" cars to invest in around the Arkansas countryside, just doing a little picking while I am here.
Old June 30th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I think every car guy in the world understands exactly what you're saying.