General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2015 | 05:46 AM

Hey guys, was wondering if anyone could lend some expertise on something that I'm a little confused about on a 1968 Cutlass.. Are your top radiator on your top radiator core supports offset toward the fan? hence creating a slight angle on the radiator? ( so the top of the radiator is leaning back toward the For the life of me I can't figure out what I am dealing with here.. I have had the car since 97' and have driven it this way since then.. Matching numbers car, came with the original hub cabs, radio, original spare tire, jack.. the whole 9... Wondering if the top core support is not OG, or if it's the radiator that is not OG. When I had the radiator out and to a shop recently to be cleaned and tested the guy there def says its the right period for GM given the various markings etc on the radiator. Any advice / help would be appreciated. (ps. the fan / shroud / radiator do not rub or interfere with the fan with this odd offset just to be clear / it's a slight angle
Old September 22nd, 2015 | 07:12 AM
Randy C.

Pictures would help immensely.

Randy C.
Old September 22nd, 2015 | 08:08 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

How much off the vertical plane is it? Your radiator should be vertical in relation to the fan face as well as tight against the core support at the front face of the rad. Is it possible you didn't seat it in the cushions properly, or install the top plate correctly? Or something is bent or mismatched. Yes pictures are worth 1000 words.
Old September 22nd, 2015 | 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
How much off the vertical plane is it? Your radiator should be vertical in relation to the fan face as well as tight against the core support at the front face of the rad. Is it possible you didn't seat it in the cushions properly, or install the top plate correctly? Or something is bent or mismatched. Yes pictures are worth 1000 words.
Cutlass... hmmmm.... 3-core radiator perhaps, in a 4-core capable steel U bracket, with a rubber isolator having a fat end to accommodate the 3-row tanks... if that rubber is in backwards then it might tilt the rad.

Just a thought.