General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1965 Cutlass Convertible history research

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2019, 06:35 PM

1965 Cutlass Convertible history research

Hello fellow Oldsmobile enthusiasts, I need some help finding more history about the car I have, VIN 338675Z103745. I purchased a 1965 Cutlass convertible a couple months ago in Minnesota and been trying to find some history about it beyond the last 5 years. Last owner had it for about 5 years and passed away 2 years ago, the family had very little information about it to share. I attempted to contact the dealer it was purchased from, Flemmings Ultimate Garage, in Rockville, MD, but they have been unresponsive. The car was built in Fremont, CA and eventually ended up in Maryland about 49 years later. It has been well taken care of and restored at least once a few years ago. Based on the date codes and casting numbers, it appears to have its original 330 V8 and Jetaway, or at least year correct replacements. It does have a 8.2" BOP and the proper year and casting #, but from what I gather, it's actually one out of a GTO due to the two converging ribs on the housing (making it a HD version) and not a single rib. I am looking for any information to help me recreate a history paper-trail for this car, any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old September 13th, 2019, 04:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

Congrats on the purchase. Unfortunately, unless you are extremely lucky, the chances of finding out the history of this car are pretty small. It obviously won't be in Carfax. Post a photo of the cowl tag, which will provide at least some additional information.
Old September 13th, 2019, 05:11 AM

Very nice 65 vert. Congratulations and good luck on your research. People here to help.
Wayne
Old September 13th, 2019, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by jlrichcreek
I am looking for any information to help me recreate a history paper-trail for this car, any information would be greatly appreciated.
My advice is to just enjoy the car and whatever ownership history came with it. Questions like yours come up often on this site, and the answer is always the same and has been noted above. Ownership records for automobiles are not kept anywhere in any systematic way. Privacy laws have gotten to the point that state DMV offices would not likely tell you the names of previous owners of your car even if they had the information. The dealer you've been trying to contact, if it's still in business and still has sales records from five years ago, might very well be reluctant to or possibly prohibited by law from revealing who they bought the car from before they sold it to the person you bought it from.

If you really really really want to know as much as possible about the car's ownership history, consider hiring a private investigator. You'll spend some money, and you might still end up right where you started, but at least you'll know you tried about as hard as it is possible to try.
Old September 13th, 2019, 03:59 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Very nice car by the way. As mentioned, take it and enjoy it.
Old September 13th, 2019, 09:41 PM

Yeah I know finding history is long shot and don't care about name of owners either. Its the path across the country over the past 55 years that would be interesting to learn. Thanks! I am enjoying it and will for long time is the plan.
Old September 14th, 2019, 06:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

While I have no first-hand experience with Flemmings, here in the DC metro area they have a less than stellar reputation. It would not surprise me to find that they assembled that car, did a complete color change, etc, etc. Just be sure it's been properly sorted and has all the fasteners installed. It wouldn't surprise me to find that the cowl tag shows a color combo other than resale red with a white interior. In any case, congrats and enjoy it.
Old September 17th, 2019, 05:25 PM

Thanks for input. I have checked the car head to tail and its good nuts and bolts wise, has a solid frame with no floor pan damage. Cowl tag is correct for color combination too. I did find some receipts on things that were performed on it by Flemmings and man they are expensive, took the previous owner for a financial spin on that one. 20 hours for a full engine detail for a whopping $700 and total bill over $3K for other things and repair at best $500 in parts.

Description paperwork and videos I found not 100% correct either. Ex: "Original HD Posi" nope has a BOP Pontiac version which was an original 3.08 standard upgraded to an Auburn LS with 3.55. they stated they put in a Comp XE262 cam, which as we know in a 45 CBA engine is not correct without some head massaging and other adjustments. Nonetheless, the motor runs well and strong. As a car guy I have been going through the car inch by inch tweaking and fixing to make it right. :-) What neat is there are virtually no '65 Cutlass 'verts in my area thus somewhere unique. It has won a couple best of show or top XX awards, so I'm off to a good start.
Old November 16th, 2019, 04:14 PM

Well after getting 1200 miles on car after purchase I managed to spin the #7 rod bearing without even trying, hard saying what the history was on the motor but I did confirm it's not the original and a standard 330 4V that has been rebuilt at least once. Took the opportunity to drop in a '68 350 SBO I built up a while back (stout 350HP, 390 TQ on dyno), then nixed the Jetaway for a 200-4r with 2500 stall. While at it, I updated the entire suspension with UMI components and installed Wilwood discs up front. Combined, all three made a huge difference in handling, drive-ability and performance. Other features: Dick Miller Racing long tubes feeding a 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, rearend contains an Auburn-posi with 3.55 gear. It's now a true Oldsmobile "Rocket"

Old November 16th, 2019, 04:29 PM

" Pontiac" rear was the Olds heavy duty option. The rear could be original.