General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1959 Dynamic 88 no title...

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2008, 11:27 AM

1959 Dynamic 88 no title...

Hey all. First post, hope some of you have been through what I'm considering to give me some consolation.

I am looking at buying a 1959 Olds Dynamic 88. It does not have a title. I talked to the DMV here in TN and they say that I need to have the dealer do a search. The dealer owns a mud lot with 10 cars on it...doubt he'll be any help. I'm assuming I'm going to go to the DMV with nothing but the 9 digit "VIN" that I've got off the car.

#1...is the number I pulled from the front of the drivers door jamb the actual VIN for that car?

#2...The DMV said it was "involved" to apply for an Affidiavit of Ownership (think that's what she called it) for this car?

I looked at Carfax, but they only deal with 17 digit numbers that were a standard format that took over sometime in the 60's so no help there.

I really like the car...I'd hate to let it rot just because the paperwork is gone.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks, Dennis.
Old February 4th, 2008, 12:05 PM

There are a few companies that will get a constructed title for you for 50 to 100 bucks I believe....in some states it is very easy to get a title for a car with lost title....This company will get a title in that state then transfer it to another and finally you have a title that you can get in your name in your state. You can search on line for such a company....lost titles or the like.
Old February 4th, 2008, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
There are a few companies that will get a constructed title for you for 50 to 100 bucks I believe....in some states it is very easy to get a title for a car with lost title....This company will get a title in that state then transfer it to another and finally you have a title that you can get in your name in your state. You can search on line for such a company....lost titles or the like.
Thanks for the info, I'll check it out...seems kind of sketchy, sell the car to them, they process it and send you a title for 150.

Anybody have experience with a title company like this before?

Last edited by r1-er; February 4th, 2008 at 07:55 PM. Reason: added after researching
Old February 5th, 2008, 05:24 PM

there is a company in Alabama that was advertizing in Hemmings for years. Get a copy and take a look .
Old February 5th, 2008, 06:36 PM

You might check with some of the guys at H.A.M.B jalopyjournel.com This kind of thing is posted on this site all the time in the wanted section
Old February 5th, 2008, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Modern Motoring
there is a company in Alabama that was advertizing in Hemmings for years. Get a copy and take a look .
EXACTLY...This company was advertized in The Roundup Magazine..This was years ago, but I believe they needed the VIN and about 150 ?? bucks. A new title was in my hand in 5 weeks, and then I transferred it New Jersey with no problems at all. I would highly recommend it
Old February 5th, 2008, 09:28 PM

I had one work for me that was done by broadway title. Good company and my chicago DMV asked some questions, but overall it worked. they only give a bill of sale from AL not a title.

Nick
Old February 6th, 2008, 11:13 AM

Tennessee DMV

Honestly, I've dealt with many incompentents, idiots and generally lazy people at the County Clerks offices of Tennessee. I suspect if you write a letter or put in a phone call to someone other than the cashier behind the counter you might get a better answer than "it is involved." What they really were saying is "it is too involved for me to deal with since I have a whole room of grumpy people." This sounds like a task someone must have to deal with on a regular basis. They will have a procedure for it!