1964 Jetstar Autometer Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2019, 04:56 PM

1964 Jetstar Autometer Install Questions

Currently I am installing Autometer gauges in my car. What are some tips I can use. I will be soldering everything. Im installing 2 1/16 gauges: Tach, Oil Pressure, Water Temp and a Voltmeter. I'm using mechanical gauges. The first thing I want to know is what am I using for 12v source. And as far as the gage lights go what is good to connect to.
Old January 7th, 2019, 08:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

I'm guessing that neither the tach nor the voltmeter are "mechanical" gauges.

This is all in Vol 4 of your 1964 Chassis Service Manual. Use the ACC terminal on the fuse box to power the gauges. This terminal has a 5A fuse. If you have a Jetaway, there will be a wire on it for the trans control. You'll need to splice into that. The gauge illumination circuit uses a grey wire behind the dash. Look for the clock illumination feed - that's probably the easiest one to reach.
Old January 10th, 2019, 12:21 AM

Ok thanks. I was also considering taking the power from the cigarette lighter. Also was wondering can I run the power for these in series bridging from one gauge to the other. And no obviously the Rach and voltmeter are not mechanical.
Old January 10th, 2019, 02:44 AM
Administrator

I believe the cigarette lighter is not a keyed power source which means your gauges will have power all the time and be a drain on the battery. Yes you can wire the gauges in parallel bridging one to another. Same with the lighting after tapping into one of the gray wires under the dash and a ground.
Old January 10th, 2019, 07:38 AM

Ok thanks. You guys are very helpful.
Old January 10th, 2019, 07:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

As Eric noted, the lighter is powered all the time. That is not the correct source. As I pointed out, you already have an ACC terminal on the fuse box specifically for accesories that require key-on power. Use it.

Also, note that the correct electrical term is PARALLEL wiring, not SERIES. Assuming you are using an under-dash gauge panel, the easiest thing to do is to pre-wire the power, ground, and illumination wires on the gauges so you only have one wire from each function to connect to the car.
Old January 10th, 2019, 08:09 PM

I would prefer not to have to splice the trans like you mentioned however if I have to, i have to.As far as the parallel and series thing goes ya it's been years since I learned and I got it backwards. Sorry. Also that's the route I will be going with pre wiring, everything will be a lot neater.
Old January 11th, 2019, 05:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 330jetstar
I would prefer not to have to splice the trans like you mentioned however if I have to, i have to.As far as the parallel and series thing goes ya it's been years since I learned and I got it backwards. Sorry. Also that's the route I will be going with pre wiring, everything will be a lot neater.
You don't have to physically cut the existing wire to the transmission. You can buy power splitter terminals that do this. The first shown below is used on the end of the wire that powers the gauges. Slide the existing trans wire off the terminal on the fuse box, slide this on, and slide the trans connector on the extra male terminal. The later photos show other versions with one female and two male terminals.