Horn relay 1984 olds custom cruiser

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2017, 07:18 AM

Horn relay 1984 olds custom cruiser

Can anyone tell me where the horn relay is for my 84 olds wagon? I can not seem to find it anywhere and there is apparently no fuse that controls it either. The horns suddenly stopped working and i am unable to find where to start looking for the problem. Thought i would start with the relay first and then check the horn button grounding system in the steering wheel next. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Phil scott
Old October 26th, 2017, 12:55 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by philjr
Can anyone tell me where the horn relay is for my 84 olds wagon? I can not seem to find it anywhere
The 1984 Electrical Troubleshooting Manual tells you exactly where these parts are.

Hint: ASSUMING this is a Custom Cruiser, both are on the fuse panel.
Old October 26th, 2017, 01:48 PM

Joe, yes it is a custom cruiser. I just ordered the two electrical factory service manuals for the car. All i had before was the chassis factory manual. Thanks a million for letting me know. It looks like a plug in relay to me.

Phil scott
Old October 27th, 2017, 05:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by philjr
It looks like a plug in relay to me.
It is.

Also, I'd start troubleshooting by applying 12V directly to the horns. Assuming that works, pull the relay and apply 12V to the terminal inside the fuse box that goes to the horn. Note the wiring diagram printed right on the relay (upper RH terminal in this photo):

If that works, verify you have power on the upper LH terminal. Finally, the lower LH terminal should be grounded when you press the horn button.
Old October 27th, 2017, 06:24 AM

Yes, thanks again joe. I have no relay that plugs into the fuse panel on my care like that. Way up on top are two metal elongated boxes but i have not checked them. Waiting for the manuals. I am a marine electrician so i am familiar how to check them but the horns are fine. There is no clicking noise so i assume that there is no power to the relay, the horn ring is not grounding or the coil inside the relay failed. Will be better equipped when i get the manuals. Thanks again for your help.

Phil scott
Old October 27th, 2017, 11:16 AM
Old(s) Fart

OK, it turns out that I need to read more carefully. There isn't a horn fuse. The horn relay is powered directly from the fusible link that comes off the battery terminal on the starter. The relay itself is clipped to the LH (outboard) side of the fuse box. It doesn't actually plug in to the fuse box, it's just attached to it. The relay is connected to a three wire pigtail that has red (+12V), black (ground from horn button), and green (switched power to horns) wires.
Old October 27th, 2017, 11:47 AM

Ok, thanks again joe. That helps a lot. I will get back under there and see if i can even see the relay. They put that fuse block in a really asinine place to service. Since you say it is not fused then i am more inclined to believe that it is the grounding circuit in the horn ring assy. I will check that next. Thanks again for all your help.

Phil scott