67 442 Horn no longer works

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2017, 02:55 PM

67 442 Horn no longer works

Hello, when I bought the car, when pressed the left button on the steering wheel, the horn did not work; however when I pressed the right button in various locations it worked fine. Now the right side does not work. What do you think could be the problem? Thanks.
Old August 13th, 2017, 04:03 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by matchek
What do you think could be the problem? Thanks.
Pretty much any piece of the horn circuit. Get a test light and a jumper and find the problem?

If you apply 12 volts directly to one of the horns does it work? If you ground the black wire to the horn relay, does it click? Do the horns worK? What happens if you ground that black wire at the steering column connector? Keep tracing back until you find the problem.
Old August 20th, 2017, 08:08 AM

Thank you Joe, I just got around to troubleshooting it. I attached a diagram like looks like it would be the horn relay. It doesn't have the gold cap around as I would have expected.

To follow your diagnosis, when I grounded out the black wire on the horn delay, it does click and the horn blows fine.

With a multimeter, when the horn buttons are pressed, ~ 12 V is at the black and ~ 0 V is at the green.

I take it is a bad button switch or bad horn relay?
Attached Images
Old August 20th, 2017, 09:57 AM

It could be horn switches within the steerwheel. I popped the center caps off and removed the screws. Do the horn buttons/covers just snap out? I don't want to break the horn covers.
Old August 20th, 2017, 10:21 AM

I was able to take the horn plates off ( did not notice screw on reach).

The two horn contacts came off and is connected by a center spring that goes into a hole. When I put the spring into the hole and force it a little with a screwdrive, the horn blows. However, pressing the horn button does nothing. Still cannot get sound when I press the horn button
Old August 20th, 2017, 11:20 AM
Old(s) Fart

The horn button simply grounds the black wire to trigger the relay. The spring is only there to hold the wire from the buttons against the terminal in the cancel cam.

Here's a question. What the rag joint on the steering shaft replaced at any time? The ground path for the horn button is through the steering shaft and into the steering box. The original rag joint has a ground strap that connects the two sides of the joint - otherwise the rag joint isolates the system. I replaced the rag joint on my 67 and the new one did not have the strap, so I had to make one.
Old August 20th, 2017, 11:34 AM

Hi, I had the car for around a year so I don't know about the rag joint.

By the way I removed the horn contact (And spring)and re-stalled (after pressing both wires inside the spring a little) and the right horn works and the left horn works around 1 out of 10 presses at best.

Is this spring as shown in the picture look original or someone's homemade wiring? I am a little confused about this spring - what does it do again? Also, do I just put the spring in the hole or is it supposed to fasten somewhat? From my understanding the pin needs to touch the metal in the steering wheel , but from looks at it , there is nothing to fasten the spring inside. From this looks of this it looks like the spring and wire would come out of the hold a little a undo contact if I hit a speed bump.

PS. The black electrical tape I just did - the wire was a little freyed on the right side, the side that works better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
667 442 horn pin.jpg (3.59 MB, 9 views)

Last edited by matchek; August 20th, 2017 at 11:38 AM.