Rear Seat Conv Courtesy Light Issue

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2016, 06:58 AM

Rear Seat Conv Courtesy Light Issue

Another newbie question on my 72 Cutlass ragtop. Got one of the rear courtesy lights where the bulb won't seat and hold -- keeps popping out. I've checked to make sure I have the correct bulb. When I push and hold bulb with finger, it lights up. Am I missing something or not doing something correctly? Which is highly likely. Or do I have a worn socket that needs to be replaced?
Old September 2nd, 2016, 07:33 AM
Randy C.

I had a similar problem with my '69 - the bulbs were the right ones, I could push them in and they would light up, but I couldn't turn them into the locked position. I discovered that the newer bulbs (with the silver metal bottoms) have a lip on the edge where the metal meets the glass that prevents the bulb from pushing in far enough to twist/lock into place. I went back to the copper-colored metal bottom bulbs and they don't have that lip. I can push and twist/lock into position those bulbs just fine. If you are using the newer Chinese silver metal-colored bulbs, switch to the copper metal-colored bulbs. It worked for me.

Randy C.
Old September 2nd, 2016, 08:04 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

And you are definitely using the right bulbs, with two contact buttons on the bottom, right?

- Eric
Old September 2nd, 2016, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by EdEarl56
Another newbie question on my 72 Cutlass ragtop. Got one of the rear courtesy lights where the bulb won't seat and hold -- keeps popping out. I've checked to make sure I have the correct bulb. When I push and hold bulb with finger, it lights up. Am I missing something or not doing something correctly? Which is highly likely. Or do I have a worn socket that needs to be replaced?
On my 70 Cutlass ragtop, I had the same problem. You have the right size bulb but the wrong offset pins. Look at the pins on the bottom side of the bulb. It should be offset. I dont know the part number but you can take the other courtesy light on the other side and it should have a part number stamped on it. Go to the auto parts store and see if they have one.
Old September 2nd, 2016, 03:44 PM

So, I've either got Chinese bulbs with a lip that prevents turning and locking into place -- which sound correct to me, thanks rcorrigan. Or I've got an offset problem on the bulb pins. I'll pull the bulb that works and compare. Thanks Ely.
Old September 3rd, 2016, 07:44 AM

Just pulled the bulb from the light that works -- it's the same Chinese bulb with the lip Randy mentioned as the other bulbs. I looked at OPGIs bulb page -- looks to be the same Chinese bulb. I'm hoping I don't have a socket issue as none of the usual parts suspects -- Fusick, OPGI, The Parts Place -- seem to offer a replacement for same. I'll see if I can find the lipless copper colored bulb locally. I'll also post something on the parts page here to see if somebody has the bulbs or socket.
Old September 3rd, 2016, 07:52 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I was going to recommend Certified Auto Electric as a source, but their web site is gone - if anyone knows whether they're still in business, please let us know - they had everything, and at excellent prices.

- Eric