Wiper and washer pump wires....

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2023, 10:34 AM

Wiper and washer pump wires....

Hi again, I can't find where these 2 wires (yellow and green) go,
but the wiper motor is working and the washer pump is turning, but no juice.

Thanks
Old August 23rd, 2023, 04:44 AM
Past Administrator

I cannot say where those wires are from just that picture but with the two butt splices on them it suggests that either the pump was replaced at some time before you got the car or for some reason the wiring was modified. Be aware that even though the pump rotates it may not move liquid due to old worn gaskets and diaphram, you can buy a gasket kit for those pumps to refurbish it though no problems. Also there should be a plastic cover that goes over the whole assembly, mostly cosmetic but it does keep dirt and dust away from the solenoid.
Old August 23rd, 2023, 05:37 AM

What car is this?

I didn't/don't have a wiring problem, but like you, I've got no fluid flowing. Even after rebuilding and replacing all the rubber, and ensuring no air or fluid leaks in the system, and seeing the pump working. I've not gotten to it yet, but am wondering if the lines and pump need to be primed. Maybe someone will have the answer.
Old August 24th, 2023, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
I cannot say where those wires are from just that picture but with the two butt splices on them it suggests that either the pump was replaced at some time before you got the car or for some reason the wiring was modified. Be aware that even though the pump rotates it may not move liquid due to old worn gaskets and diaphram, you can buy a gasket kit for those pumps to refurbish it though no problems. Also there should be a plastic cover that goes over the whole assembly, mostly cosmetic but it does keep dirt and dust away from the solenoid.
Thanks oldsguy, and yes I have the cover, just remove it for inspection.
Old August 24th, 2023, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by BackInTheGame
What car is this?

I didn't/don't have a wiring problem, but like you, I've got no fluid flowing. Even after rebuilding and replacing all the rubber, and ensuring no air or fluid leaks in the system, and seeing the pump working. I've not gotten to it yet, but am wondering if the lines and pump need to be primed. Maybe someone will have the answer.
It's a 71 442 convertible, and you could watch the link below, that guy explain how it works and you can see how the pump work and compare with yours.

Old August 24th, 2023, 01:37 PM

Thanks for posting the video, Tancuda. I'll check it out.
Old August 24th, 2023, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by BackInTheGame
I've got no fluid flowing. Even after rebuilding and replacing all the rubber, and ensuring no air or fluid leaks in the system, and seeing the pump working. I've not gotten to it yet, but am wondering if the lines and pump need to be primed. Maybe someone will have the answer.
I recall having to prime the lines on mine but that was so long ago I may be remembering incorrectly. I think the pump piston has an o-ring or some type of seal around it - there's gotta be something to make a seal between the piston and the "cylinder" that it rides in. I never took one that far apart so I don't know what's in there.
Old August 24th, 2023, 03:41 PM

You are correct, Kenneth, there is a seal within the pump cylinder, or around the pump piston, if you prefer. I swapped that out with a rebuild kit-provided piece. I'm about to head out of town for a week. When I return, I'll try priming the lines and see if that makes any difference. Thanks for your input!
Old August 27th, 2023, 07:14 AM

There are rubber valves under the plastic plate where the three hoses connect. They can get dirt under them or the rubber can get hard and they will no longer function. The pump sucks and pushes the fluid, without properly working valves it wont suck from the reservoir and pump out the washer nozzles. Rebuild kits should be available and although the hoses may exit in a different direction they will all work on this pump.
Old August 27th, 2023, 12:50 PM

Yep, those valves are in the rebuild kits as noted above. I just was unaware the kit also had the piston seal as I have never replaced one of those.