What's this plug???

Search this Thread

Old January 1st, 2016, 08:33 PM

What's this plug???

What is this plug to I found it when getting ready to pull my engine its been melted it was on the left side of the car its a 83 delta 88 engine 307

Its the plug on the left

Last edited by 1983oldsmobiledelta; January 1st, 2016 at 11:12 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2016, 06:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

That's one of the plugs for the solenoid valves on the air diverter valves mounted behind the A.I.R. pump. There should be two total in that general area. Part of the CCC emissions controls.
Old January 3rd, 2016, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
That's one of the plugs for the solenoid valves on the air diverter valves mounted behind the A.I.R. pump. There should be two total in that general area. Part of the CCC emissions controls.
That wasn't it its still plugged up but it does look just like it also found this plug any ideas what it is

Old January 3rd, 2016, 03:33 PM
Old(s) Fart

The green connector is the test connector for the mixture control solenoid in the carb. It is not normally connected to anything. You attach a dwell meter there to read the mixture control duty cycle when adjusting the carb.

The two-wire connectors like the one in the first photo are used for the A.I.R. diverter valves (two of them) as well as for the anti-diesel solenoid on the driver's side valve cover. I only see one of the A.I.R. valves in the photos. The other was bolted to the back of the missing air pump.
Old January 3rd, 2016, 03:49 PM

The green connector is the test connector for the mixture control solenoid in the carb. It is not normally connected to anything. You attach a dwell meter there to read the mixture control duty cycle when adjusting the carb.

The two-wire connectors like the one in the first photo are used for the A.I.R. diverter valves (two of them) as well as for the anti-diesel solenoid on the driver's side valve cover. I only see one of the A.I.R. valves in the photos. The other was bolted to the back of the missing air pump.
So your saying I'm missing a air pump or that was just run for diesel engines and I don't need it I'm sorry just a little confused
Old January 4th, 2016, 07:01 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 1983oldsmobiledelta
So your saying I'm missing a air pump
Yes. Something had to pump air into the tubes that go into the exhaust ports. The pump mounts to brackets (also missing) above the fuel pump and directly below the (missing) A/C compressor.

Old January 5th, 2016, 09:46 PM

Yes. Something had to pump air into the tubes that go into the exhaust ports. The pump mounts to brackets (also missing) above the fuel pump and directly below the (missing) A/C compressor.

I'm sorry I just thought about it I had to remove the smog pump and check valve that the plug goes too thanks for the help car been siting for 2 years due spun bearing just slipped my mind thanks for pointing that out