what were these for?

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2012, 03:28 PM

what were these for?

Cleaning alot of things up under the hood while the motor is out, and i got a quick question.. this plug runs directly into the firewall and has two groupings of wires coming out of it..

063.jpg
The group of wires on the right run to my batt. while the group of wires on the left seem to do nothing..
062-1.jpg
064.jpg
065-1.jpg

just curious as to what these wires were for, or are for
Old June 24th, 2012, 04:11 PM

They are for unimportant stuff like the windshield wipers and washers, horn, ignition solenoid, tranny DS solenoid, oil / temp senders...
Do any of those things on your car work?
Old June 24th, 2012, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
They are for unimportant stuff like the windshield wipers and washers, horn, ignition solenoid, tranny DS solenoid, oil / temp senders...
Oh so pretty much all the stuff this car dosent have anymore? Or atleast its all been re wired since

Theres so manny extra wires behind my dash its a hazzard i need to tackel that one day..

Thanks

My car has a oil press water temp gas and batt and tach... Thats it for gauges... The wipers were re wired to a switch on my dash.. I think alof of this stuff is gone along with my ac and heater its just all stock wire.

Last edited by 805cut; June 24th, 2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old June 25th, 2012, 07:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

The firewall connector separates into two parts - an engine harness and a forward lamp harness. As noted, the forward lamp harness powers the headlights, park/turn lights, side marker lights, etc. The engine harness has the ignition, starter, trans kickdown, TCS, etc. The single wire white connector coming out of the harness near the firewall plug is the feed for the optional under hood lamp. If this wire gets pinched and shorts, you'll be constantly blowing the fuse when you turn the lights on.

Do NOT ask me how I know this.
Old June 25th, 2012, 07:50 AM

Is it possible that all this stuff has been rewired at one point? Cause everything works on the car and none of these wires have ever been hooked up b4
Old June 25th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Oldsdruid

What you're seeing is the engine side of the fuse block connectors. The fuse block is underneath the dash on the other side of the firewall.

It would pay you to have a chassis service manual for your car. All this stuff is shown in the electrical section.

Did someone try to turn this car into a drag car, or is it a victim of someone who had no idea what they were doing?

I'm a stickler for good and correct wiring. I HATE repairing someone else's cobbled up wiring mess, and I see it on Chevrolets more than any other brand. I had a high school friend who was always looking for a "hot wire" to hook something to. I don't see how he never burned a car up.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
What you're seeing is the engine side of the fuse block connectors. The fuse block is underneath the dash on the other side of the firewall.

It would pay you to have a chassis service manual for your car. All this stuff is shown in the electrical section.

Did someone try to turn this car into a drag car, or is it a victim of someone who had no idea what they were doing?

I'm a stickler for good and correct wiring. I HATE repairing someone else's cobbled up wiring mess, and I see it on Chevrolets more than any other brand. I had a high school friend who was always looking for a "hot wire" to hook something to. I don't see how he never burned a car up.
The electrical in this car aint that great, not 100% on the history but id be willing to bet someone had no clue or atleastndidnt ask questions to start with... You should see behind the dash of this car, more dead wires then anything iv ever seen.. I need to pull it all and re do it...
Old July 2nd, 2012, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by 805cut
The electrical in this car aint that great, not 100% on the history but id be willing to bet someone had no clue or atleastndidnt ask questions to start with... You should see behind the dash of this car, more dead wires then anything iv ever seen.. I need to pull it all and re do it...
You can do the painless wiring setup for less, but I would recomend new wiring harnesses. Kind of plug and play. The plug in's should be tagged as what they go to. (Well sometimes) I hate wiring myself and just ordered new harnesses. Much less hassle. JMO
Old July 2nd, 2012, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by ziff396
You can do the painless wiring setup for less, but I would recomend new wiring harnesses. Kind of plug and play. The plug in's should be tagged as what they go to. (Well sometimes) I hate wiring myself and just ordered new harnesses. Much less hassle. JMO
I agree with that.. I HATE electrical! Where did you get yours?

Most the stuff has been removed from my car, and what is there has all been rewired, im rebuilding the car at the moment so my main focus has been on the front end and motor/tranny but it would be nice to start over with the electrical as well... Its a jungle behind my dash, and id say 30% of those wires havent had electricity running thru it in years..goddd why do ppl do only half a job?!?
Old July 2nd, 2012, 07:52 PM

If you hate electrical wiring, then you might be better off going wiht the custom repro harnesses from American Autowire. They will cost more, but they just plug together - easy. Factory correct, too, and good company reputation.
Painless is all universal, and will require lots of cutting, stripping, soldering or crimping.
Great for custom cars owned by people who are good with wiring stuff from scratch.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 07:57 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Oh, that's good Rob
Old July 2nd, 2012, 08:10 PM

If you hate electrical wiring, then you might be better off going wiht the custom repro harnesses from American Autowire. They will cost more, but they just plug together - easy. Factory correct, too, and good company reputation.
Painless is all universal, and will require lots of cutting, stripping, soldering or crimping.
Great for custom cars owned by people who are good with wiring stuff from scratch.
Haha yeah im deff not one of those people. Good lookin out, ill give it a look!
Old July 3rd, 2012, 03:10 AM

Mine came from M&H wiring. Just another option.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 02:05 PM

Keep in mind if you get the American Autowire harnesses, it will persuade you to put your electrical system back to factory specs. So if the original wiper switch was broke, you would need to replace it and anything else that was bypassed due to malfunction.