Turning signal socket

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2014, 07:51 AM

Turning signal socket

I am having a problem with my drivers side turning signal.It works randomly.I took out the socket to inspect it and notice it has only 2 wires coming out of it. I Looked at the other side and same thing (TWO).I want to change the socket in question out with a new socket I have, but the new socket has the 2 wires like the old and also has a third black wire .Do I use the black wire or just tape it up.Can I use the new socket or get one with just the two wires.Im comfused.Please help.
Old September 26th, 2014, 08:01 AM

I suspect you likely have a grounding problem with the socket. The two wire sockets ground through the housing. One wire is the park lamp power, and one wire is the turn signal power. The three wire set-ups have an additional ground wire for applications in which the socket may mount on a non-grounded lamp, thus no ground available for the housing. Try cleaning the area the socket mounts in, and try to check with a test light, if you have one available. If you use the three wire, and it has a plastic housing, you will have to ground the black wire.
Old September 26th, 2014, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jetstarjim
I suspect you likely have a grounding problem with the socket. The two wire sockets ground through the housing. One wire is the park lamp power, and one wire is the turn signal power. The three wire set-ups have an additional ground wire for applications in which the socket may mount on a non-grounded lamp, thus no ground available for the housing. Try cleaning the area the socket mounts in, and try to check with a test light, if you have one available. If you use the three wire, and it
has a plastic housing, you will have to ground the black wire.
So it couldnt hurt to groung the socket anyway. I mean it wount affect it one way or another if its ground with the wire just added saftey. I have checked all the grounds I can find..It just always a problem with that one perticular socket.Thank you for your help
Old September 26th, 2014, 09:01 AM

Yes, it wouldn't hurt to ground it anyway, other than wouldn't be "original" if you are going that way with the car. Other than that, just mark your power wires temporarily until you're done, so they don't get flipped around and power the signal element in the bulb when the park lamps are turned on.
Old September 26th, 2014, 10:16 AM

Red face

Originally Posted by Jetstarjim
Yes, it wouldn't hurt to ground it anyway, other than wouldn't be "original" if you are going that way with the car. Other than that, just mark your power wires temporarily until you're done, so they don't get flipped around and power the signal element in the bulb when the park lamps are turned on.
OK that brings up another question the new socket is brown and yellow wires and the old socket is brown and blue wires.so brown to brown and blue to yellow?
Old September 26th, 2014, 11:46 AM
Just an Olds Guy

That would be the logical thing to do.
Old September 26th, 2014, 11:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ostie13
OK that brings up another question the new socket is brown and yellow wires and the old socket is brown and blue wires.so brown to brown and blue to yellow?
The 1157 bulb has offset bayonet pins, so it can only be installed one way.

The socket similarly has one shallow and one deep locking groove to match. Simply match up the wires in the old socket to the ones in the new socket - the wire nearest the shallow groove to the same one on the new socket, etc.