Turn Signals very slow

Search this Thread

Old October 6th, 2012 | 08:57 AM

Turn Signals very slow

When my headlights are on, my turn signals blink very very slowly. The right signal is so slow, it almost doesn't blink. Probably 1x in 1.5-2 seconds. I checked for a lose wire at the taillight buckets, and didn't find anything.

Also, in drive, stopped with my foot on the brakes, I can hear a whining noise, If I unplug the alternator it stops. It can't be heard outside the cabin, or near the engine. Only inside the cabin.

What should I check? I don't even know where to start. I checked the battery and its getting a constant 12-14 volts depending on what accessories are on. The alternator doesn't seem to whine or change how it sounds, no matter what is on or off.

Without the headlights on, they blink okay. Probably 1x a second, not as fast as most cars it seems, but nothing to worry about.
Old October 6th, 2012 | 09:00 AM
Old School Olds

Try replacing the relay.
It will be under the dash.
You can pinpoint the location
by listening for the blink.
Old October 6th, 2012 | 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
Try replacing the relay.
It will be under the dash.
You can pinpoint the location
by listening for the blink.
Do you mean the flasher in the fuse block?
Old October 6th, 2012 | 10:00 AM

The flasher in the fuse block is for the hazard lights. You will need to locate the flasher under the dash in the wiring harness. It should be to the left of the steering column IIRC.
Old October 6th, 2012 | 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
The flasher in the fuse block is for the hazard lights. You will need to locate the flasher under the dash in the wiring harness. It should be to the left of the steering column IIRC.
Thank you for that. I feel a little silly, every time i've ever changed the flasher, I've changed the one in the fuse block, which is apparently for the hazards, in all cars. They blink twice as fast as they used to, both sides work, lights on, lights off, doesn't matter. It's pretty awesome.

Thanks guys, for educating a noob. :/
Old October 6th, 2012 | 11:49 AM

So you changed the right one this time? Great! Thanks for posting back in the thread to let us know you fixed it!
Old October 6th, 2012 | 04:08 PM
Old School Olds

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
So you changed the right one this time? Great! Thanks for posting back in the thread to let us know you fixed it!
X2! Glad it worked out.
Old November 4th, 2012 | 08:28 AM

I too have a very slow blinker and I have (over the past few months/years):
1) replaced all bulbs
2) replaced turn signal cam
3) replaced the emergency flasher in the fuse box

According to the service manual ... all should be well.

What does this other (correct) relay look like? Is this it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Slow_Blinker.jpg (46.0 KB, 91 views)
Old November 5th, 2012 | 12:02 PM

Could be the voltage regulator on the firewall, many suggested that to me early on.

Do you hazard lights blink slowly too?
Old November 5th, 2012 | 12:34 PM

A couple of basic things;
The 4-way flasher and the turn signal flasher are not the same. Turn signal flashers can be 2 blub, 3 blub or heavy duty for trailer towing. Do not use a 2 blub if you need a 3 or a 3 blub if you need a 2. It will not flash correctly. Don't mix turn flashers with 4-way flashers either. Flashers can be different shapes, squares or round, depending on manufacture. Shape does not identify function. Also some cars, like my 56, use a flasher with 3 lugs instead of 2. Be sure you have the right flasher for your application.
Old November 5th, 2012 | 02:48 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by jscottsanders
I too have a very slow blinker and I have (over the past few months/years):
1) replaced all bulbs
2) replaced turn signal cam
3) replaced the emergency flasher in the fuse box

According to the service manual ... all should be well.

What does this other (correct) relay look like? Is this it?
But you didn't change the turn signal flasher - you changed the emergency flasher - you said so yourself.

If you look at the Chassis Service Manual, you will see that it does NOT say to change the emergency flasher when you have a problem with the signal lights, it says to change the signal light flasher. It even shows you where the signal light flasher is located and what it looks like.

The (correct) signal light flasher probably looks just like the emergency flasher - a little round aluminum can. Depending on year and model, it is probably held by a metal clip inside of the dashboard to the left of the steering wheel, with two wires going to it.

The photo you posted is of a radio noise suppression condenser.

Also, a relay is an electromechanical device that turns one or more unrelated circuits on or off in response to an electrical signal of far lower current than the controlled circuits themselves, often a signal that is different than the controlled circuits (AC instead of DC, or vice-versa, or a different voltage), while a flasher is a device that turns a circuit on and off at a set frequency when current is applied to the circuit.

- Eric
Old November 7th, 2012 | 08:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MDchanic
But you didn't change the turn signal flasher - you changed the emergency flasher - you said so yourself.

If you look at the Chassis Service Manual, you will see that it does NOT say to change the emergency flasher when you have a problem with the signal lights, it says to change the signal light flasher. It even shows you where the signal light flasher is located and what it looks like.

The (correct) signal light flasher probably looks just like the emergency flasher - a little round aluminum can. Depending on year and model, it is probably held by a metal clip inside of the dashboard to the left of the steering wheel, with two wires going to it.

The photo you posted is of a radio noise suppression condenser.

Also, a relay is an electromechanical device that turns one or more unrelated circuits on or off in response to an electrical signal of far lower current than the controlled circuits themselves, often a signal that is different than the controlled circuits (AC instead of DC, or vice-versa, or a different voltage), while a flasher is a device that turns a circuit on and off at a set frequency when current is applied to the circuit.

- Eric
Come on Eric. You and I both know the real problem is the dimmer switch.

Seriously, the turn signal flasher relies on current flow to heat the bimetallic element in the flasher to make it flash. If there are any corroded connections or grounds in the circuit that impede the flow of current, the element won't heat up as fast and the signals will flash slowly.
Old November 7th, 2012 | 09:13 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Come on Eric. You and I both know the real problem is the dimmer switch.
That's why I always change that first, no matter what's wrong.
I mean, it's easy to change, so I may as well, right?

- Eric
Old November 18th, 2012 | 01:10 PM

You guys were spot on about what needed to be replaced and where it might be located.

I found the signal fuse under the dash to the left of the steering column. I was unable to get my hands in there so I wound up removing the gas guage (with idiot lights) and replacing it that way.

Works great now.

Thanks again.
Old November 18th, 2012 | 01:40 PM
same but different

Thanks for the update. This might help other folks too.
Old November 18th, 2012 | 02:12 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You're welcome!