Turn signal canceling

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2020, 01:18 PM

Turn signal canceling

I hope this is the right category... My issue is, the blinker for left turn will barely set without canceling right away and right turn blinker won't cancel after a turn. I did replace the column with a floor shift column and wheel with an aftermarket (MOMO) that uses a hub, but this was all during the build so it wasn't checked then . How do I go about fixing this? Do I need to disconnect the column form the rag joint and rotate it? Any advice is definitely appreciated.

Thanks
Old July 22nd, 2020, 01:25 PM
Administrator

You may not have gotten your steering box centered when reassembling, or when you got an alignment, or canceling cam and/or switch needs replacement.
Old July 22nd, 2020, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
You may not have gotten your steering box centered when reassembling, or when you got an alignment, or canceling cam and/or switch needs replacement.
I guess I can start with the canceling cam first since that doesn't require me taking it to the shop for a new alignment
Old July 22nd, 2020, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by csouth
I guess I can start with the canceling cam first since that doesn't require me taking it to the shop for a new alignment
Jack up the front of the car, turn the steering wheel from stop to stop and count the turns. Then divide that number by 2 and turn back the other way that many turns and see if your steering wheel is straight with the front wheels.
Old July 22nd, 2020, 02:19 PM
Old(s) Fart

The steering shaft has a scribe mark on the tip of it that should be at 12:00 with the wheels pointed forward. I suspect it is not. Also, jack your car up. See if the turn signal cancels if you turn the wheels all the way from one stop to the other. If so, this is a steering wheel clocking issue. If the turn signal still doesn't cancel, one of the return springs has broken on the turn signal switch. Replacements are available for under $3 from Dorman.

Old August 12th, 2020, 09:30 AM

So I checked and the right turn signal does cancel when the steering wheel is turned almost all the way to the right. Its clocked way further than I would ever be making a normal right turn. I'm going to assume that means my scribe mark was in the wrong position when I connected the column to the shaft?
Old August 12th, 2020, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by csouth
So I checked and the right turn signal does cancel when the steering wheel is turned almost all the way to the right. Its clocked way further than I would ever be making a normal right turn. I'm going to assume that means my scribe mark was in the wrong position when I connected the column to the shaft?
That would be a good assumption, you can prove it by following post#4 and then try to operate the directional canceling cam. Don't worry about steering wheel or front tire position at this time.