Trouble installing 71 Cutlass clock gauge

Search this Thread

Old December 22nd, 2012, 04:46 PM

Trouble installing 71 Cutlass clock gauge

Hi All,

I'm a total newbie at installing anything electrical and thought I would give it a shot, but alas I am stuck. Bought a stock clock gauge to replace an aftermarket tach...removed the instrument bezel and unscrewed the bolts around the tach.

Now when I try to find a female power wire to accept the male wire from the clock there is nothing there that fits. I found two orange wires with male ends and another orange w/ a female end that has since been modified and doesn't look stock (I think, who knows)?

I thought the best thing I could do was post some pics up of what I see and maybe someone can tell me what wire will plug into the back of the clock so I can screw it all back on and be done with this?

Thanks!
Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo(91).jpg (45.3 KB, 92 views)
photo(92).jpg (65.9 KB, 77 views)
photo(93).jpg (44.6 KB, 67 views)
photo(94).jpg (56.9 KB, 69 views)
Old December 22nd, 2012, 07:03 PM

GM wiring colors hasn't changed much in 50 years, orange is battery voltage (hot at all times) pink is battery voltage with the key on, gray is dash lighting (power with the lights on changes with how far you turn the headlight switch), brown is power to the taillights. Use a 12 volt test light to check for power on the orange wire. It should have power no matter what position the key is in. If not, check the fuse for the courtesy light (do they work?). Check for power on the gray wire with the headlights on. If not, check the taillight fuse and the fuse for the dash lights. The factory wire connectors have probably been cut to wire up the aftermarket tach. You can use insulated 1/4 spade connectors to replace the ends.

Last edited by matt69olds; December 22nd, 2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 08:18 PM

Iirc, the orange wire goes to the male spade terminal for the clock. There should be a gray connector, don't remember if it's male or female, that plugs into the harness for the two clock lights. This is going off my memory, I'm sure someone will chime in that knows for sure.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 09:15 PM

Thanks guys. Unfortunately none of the orange connectors fit the back of the clock. I am way to novice to begin replacing any of the wire ends...maybe my mechanic can bail me out...?
Old December 22nd, 2012, 09:46 PM

Maybe post a picture of the back of your clock. It should have a spade terminal on it for power...
Old December 23rd, 2012, 06:33 AM

From the back that doesn't look like a factory clock at all, maybe that's why nothing is plugging in
Old December 23rd, 2012, 06:57 AM

Sure guys...here is the back of the clock gauge showing the factory connection.

@w31man - the one hanging out of the dash is an aftermarket tach I'd like to remove and replace with the clock.

Thanks,
Bill
Attached Images
photo(95).jpg (26.6 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by TenMidgets; December 23rd, 2012 at 07:05 AM.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
Sure guys...here is the back of the clock gauge showing the factory connection.

@w31man - the one hanging out of the dash is an aftermarket tach I'd like to remove and replace with the clock.

Thanks,
Bill
Oh ok sorry, i guess i didn't catch that
Old December 23rd, 2012, 08:29 AM

The gray wire should be in that hole, probably to the right of it just a little bit. Get a good flashlight & take a good look in there, I believe it is part of the dash harness installed in every car & may be taped to the harness if a clock was not factory installed? I don't see why one of the orange wires will not plug directly onto the spade terminal on the clock??
Old December 23rd, 2012, 09:47 AM

Factory clock should have a spade terminal on the center threaded stud on the back as seen here.

Your picture was too blurry to see if you have the terminal...
If you do not, you could fabricate your own from a solderless spade terminal and a ring terminal, soldering them together.
Attached Images
fac_clk_0679.jpg (45.1 KB, 179 views)
Old December 23rd, 2012, 10:00 AM

Ok maybe I am starting to figure this out a bit?

Rob - I do have the spade terminal on the back. So does the orange wire go on there? If so, where does the gray wire go?

Sorry I am asking so many dumb questions.

*Edit - tried to plug the orange wires into the spade terminal but neither produced any movement of the second hand with the ignition on. I am out of my league here I think.

Last edited by TenMidgets; December 23rd, 2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 02:46 PM
Registered Luser

Bill, did you take a test light to check for power at the orange wire? Should have constant power to run the clock...the gray needs to connect to switched power with the headlights. You need to find a wire with power only when the headlights are on for the bulbs. If the orange has constant power(batt), and you plug it in and it doesn't work, IIRC, it needs to be grounded, and someone can correct me if I am wrong, but it may ground when you screw it in the dash. To be sure, connect the live orange wire , and use a jumper wire to the body of the clock to ground it somewhere on the dash....
Old December 23rd, 2012, 02:56 PM
GM Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Bill, did you take a test light to check for power at the orange wire? Should have constant power to run the clock...the gray needs to connect to switched power with the headlights. You need to find a wire with power only when the headlights are on for the bulbs. If the orange has constant power(batt), and you plug it in and it doesn't work, IIRC, it needs to be grounded, and someone can correct me if I am wrong, but it may ground when you screw it in the dash. To be sure, connect the live orange wire , and use a jumper wire to the body of the clock to ground it somewhere on the dash....
You're right Erik, the dash does ground it. Plug in the orange wire to the spade terminal and put the clock in the dash housing and screw it in. It should start working.

Let us know what happens after you do that.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 03:18 PM

Thanks guys - I'll give it a shot! Can't believe I forgot to ground it before testing (doh).

Tell me about the aftermarket tach wiring in there now -- any reason I can't just cut them and get them out of the way so I have more working space to screw in the clock?

Thanks again,
Bill
Old December 23rd, 2012, 04:21 PM
Registered Luser

It looks like the tach was hacked into original wires. You should be able to eliminate the add on wires, just make sure anything that could be live or switched on live is capped so as not to ground out against something. Did the tach have lights in it? If so, that wire was probably the wire to use for the lights in the clock. Just locate that wire, make sure it switches with the headlight switch, and use it. I may have the proper end for you if yours is gone. Or you could make your own. I have some old harnesses laying around that may have a plug....
Old December 23rd, 2012, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
Thanks guys - I'll give it a shot! Can't believe I forgot to ground it before testing (doh).
Many times, the most obvious fault is right under our noses; been there many times myself.
Let us know if that works. If not, make sure there is 12V at the orange wire with key off and that the clock unit itself is good.
Old December 24th, 2012, 09:14 AM

I probably overcomplicated this, but the clock is in and working. But I now can't figure out where to connect the lights. Can't see anything obvious or close enough to connect into the gray wire coming out of the clock.

There was a light in the previous tac and a long thin white wire that ran to the floor which connected into another gray wire which I assume is for the lights, but there's no way to reach it up to the height of the clock, nor do the connections match. Ughhh...hoping there is something closer up to the back of the clock I can connect it to and get lights!

Thanks
Old December 24th, 2012, 09:32 AM

Your making this far harder than it has to be. Find a unused gray wire under the dash, most cars will have several in the harness to connect optional equipment (which your car may or may not have been equipped with). Once you have found one, verify its function with a test light, it should show power with the lights on, and dim when you turn the headlight ****. You need to keep in mind, the car is almost 45 years old, who knows how many different tachs, stereos and gages have been installed over the years? The factory connectors were probably cut off when the first person added their first aftermarket customizing accessory. If you cant find a unused wire, find the light that back lights the ashtray and splice into that gray wire.
Old December 24th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Registered Luser

Bill, did the aftermarket tach light up? If so, use that wire....just check to make sure it works with the headlight switch. You can make your own end for the wire.....radio shack or auto parts store will have what you need in electrical section.
Old December 24th, 2012, 10:47 AM

Thanks guys, I'll keep trying.

Erik - good luck with Matt checking out that 69 vert. Hope it comes thru as a solid car!
Old December 24th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Registered Luser

Wednesday.....you wanna come?
Old December 24th, 2012, 08:18 PM

I think you guys have it under control, but keep me posted and let me know how it goes!