testing oil pressure sensor

Search this Thread

Old September 8th, 2009, 06:53 PM

testing oil pressure sensor

just installed engine and front light harness on 69 cutlass and all idiot lights illuminate when turn key one click, except brake and oil. car was a mess before resto, so not sure if worked prior, but new harness and new sensor. how can i test sensor. i haven't checked bulbs yet. by the way, how hard is it to access the dash bulbs for idiot lights?
Old September 9th, 2009, 03:50 AM

Smile Testing

The idiot lights are easy to reach, just have to be gentle around the plug...to check the oil light, disconnect connector from sender and put a ground on that wire and the light should be on...same drill for the brake light at the distribution block and also at the P-brake switch...
Old September 13th, 2009, 03:06 PM

thanks for help, i found two dash bulbs bad and was able to get brake light to work when activating e-brake and grounding wiring to brake distribution block. it will not light when plugged into block (this should light when key turned correct?) does this mean brake sending unit bad?

also, i grounded wiring for oil sending unit and even w/ new bulb cannot get it to light. any ideas
Old September 14th, 2009, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by ej69
...grounding wiring to brake distribution block. it will not light when plugged into block
This is normal and means the distribution block is good. There is no "ignition on test" for the brake idiot light (that I know of), aside from setting the parking brake...

Originally Posted by ej69
i grounded wiring for oil sending unit and even w/ new bulb cannot get it to light. any ideas
Have you done a good inspection of the instrument cluster and checked /cleaned the connector contacts on it?
Polish up the bulb contact areas also - I have seen many times where new bulbs do not work due to not-too-evident corrosion on the metal contact areas.
Old September 14th, 2009, 07:20 AM

thanks for help, wish i found this site 6 months ago when is started chassis/drivetrain resto. i thought all idioit lights illuminated when turned key, letting you know they worked. i'll look at oil send bulb as sender and harness are both new. again thanks.