Starter Issues

Search this Thread

Old July 19th, 2010, 10:51 AM
New but Olds

Starter Issues

I hope there is an engineer in the house today. I was racing Wednesday, car running great, turned it off, wouldnt start. Dome lights were bright, no click on the key or anything. Took a jump to start it. New battery next day, car runs without pos. cable on terminal (charging). Put a light between disconnected cable and terminal to test for shorts...(no shorts). While running, alt is charging 14v. Drove it saturday, pulled into the garage, completely drained battery. I have ext solid state reg. on firewall. High torque starter. Maintance free battery. Suggetions???
Old July 19th, 2010, 08:13 PM

I would think either a bad connection at the starter, bad solenoid or malfunctioning ignition switch.

I would go to the starter first and clean and tighten the connections.

Ron
Old July 19th, 2010, 08:31 PM

if the Bart was dead I would look at the trunk light or glove box light I have found that when the trunk is closed the switch may be sticking. But you need to find some one to put in the trunk and close the lid. The light should go out at about six to eight inches from complete closing.
Old July 20th, 2010, 04:30 PM
New but Olds

I took the alt and reg to a shop for testing. Both are bad. Seriously? I replaced them both a year ago and here I am again. The Olds is eating electrical components and i do not know why. 8.09 in the 1/8th at 89 MPH isnt bad for a drop top. I have to carry jumper cables, I dont have the power to roll down the windows at the end of the night and the T-3 s have a nice dull yellow beam but it's quick. More suggestions would be welcome
Old July 20th, 2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by major tom
I took the alt and reg to a shop for testing. Both are bad. Seriously? I replaced them both a year ago and here I am again. The Olds is eating electrical components and i do not know why. 8.09 in the 1/8th at 89 miles per hour isnt bad for a drop top. I have to carry jumper cables, I dont have the power to roll down the windows at the end of the night and the T-3 s have a nice dull yellow beam but it's quick. More suggestions would be welcome

check to see if the small ground strap from the car body to the neg side of the batt or from the friewall to the engine is not broken or missing
Old July 27th, 2010, 11:12 PM
New but Olds

Sorry for the delay. I replaced the batt, alt and reg as all tested bad. The alt was a 61 amp. I had a guy tell me that the stock external reg probably could not handle the increased amps and burned out taking the alt diodes with it. Seems to be good now. Last pass in the eight last week let lose a head gasket. They were new too. Got them from mondelos with the edelbrock heads. When it rains it pours. Best pass was 8.10 before all heck broke loose. Glad it's not my fathers oldsmobile or he'd be plenty pissed.