Starter Heat Shield

Search this Thread

Old September 13th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Starter Heat Shield

Is there any recommendations for using this part. OPG and PartsPlace have them. I have purchased one. I would like to know if anyone has a picture of this on the starter or directions. Have read where one person returned as he couldn't figure how it attached. Was this really a factory part as claimed. Didn't see in Assembly or Chassis manals. Thanks for any help.
AL
OPG#C240241
Old September 13th, 2011, 01:39 PM

I know the one i ordered years ago, I had to modify to make it fit. Not sure what part # it was.
Old September 13th, 2011, 02:12 PM

They sell a heat shield on ebay that you bend. Cheap insurance to prevent cooking the starter if you have headers.
Old September 13th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Randy C.

The heat shield on my '68 4-4-2 and my '69 4-4-2 has two fastening points. The high up point fastens into the block. The low end fastens into the starter. The reason some people have trouble with heat shields of my era is that the starter has been replaced with a rebuilt unit and the bolt hole in the starter casing isn't there so there is no lower point to fasten the heat shield. If you have the correct starter and the hole is in the casing, it should be fairly straight-forward on how the shield attaches. The bolt used at the lower point if very short - you don't want the threads to interfer with the inner workings of the starter.

It also appears to me that this heat shield acts as a sort of brace for the forward part of the starter.

Randy C.
Old September 13th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Randy-
Thanks for the information. Makes sense. I do have the original starter with the "hole". I also have the strap bracket brace. Seems that with the shield I wouldn't need it. By the way PartsPlace said they didn't have any information on how it installs.

Regards from Kentucky
AL
Old September 13th, 2011, 03:58 PM

Why is this in the "site help" forum?
Old September 13th, 2011, 04:39 PM

Shield pic and sketch

I pulled my starter heat shield during rebuild, cleaned it up and applied some high temp paint. It sure seems like a good idea, as my downpipe is right next to the stock starter. Mine (stock) is maybe 1/8" steel with corrugations. Good luck!
Edit: I forgot to rotate the sketch, but just print it out, lower center show the attachment points (3)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2209.JPG (89.3 KB, 193 views)
heatshield sheet.jpg (61.4 KB, 212 views)

Last edited by zodiacblueS; September 13th, 2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old September 13th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Why?
Old September 13th, 2011, 05:20 PM

Hurray for old carpenters !

My '73 "S" is from Bloomington, Ind., just up the highway a bit. I still haven't figured out how to use my saws with this hobby. Take care.
Old September 13th, 2011, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by zodiacblueS
I pulled my starter heat shield during rebuild, cleaned it up and applied some high temp paint. It sure seems like a good idea, as my downpipe is right next to the stock starter. Mine (stock) is maybe 1/8" steel with corrugations. Good luck!
Edit: I forgot to rotate the sketch, but just print it out, lower center show the attachment points (3)
I bought one of these to install on my car as it goes back together. It looks just like this.
Will post a picture in my "into the unknown" thread when it gets put on.
I think all engines should have this, but the 350s only got a skinny little bracket in 72.

BTW, I moved this to the electrical section.
Old September 13th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Randy C.

I agree that the heat shield also serves as a support bracket for the front end of the starter. It goes right where the strap would go if the strap were used. It's tight in there - I just replaced the starter on my '68 and I am fortunate to know someone with a lift, which made the job somewhat easier. But getting that shield in there after I put in the new starter is a bit of a struggle until it is in place.

I've heard several different versions of the "strap" versus the "heat shield" and what went where. I think Lady72nRob71 hit on what is really supposed to be - the 350s got the strap and the 400s/455s got the heat shield. I don't know what my '68 4-4-2 originally came with as all of those pieces were missing when I got it and I had find original replacements. My '69 4-4-2, however, is all original, and it has the heat shield.

Randy C.
Old September 14th, 2011, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
I've heard several different versions of the "strap" versus the "heat shield" and what went where. I think Lady72nRob71 hit on what is really supposed to be - the 350s got the strap and the 400s/455s got the heat shield. I don't know what my '68 4-4-2 originally came with as all of those pieces were missing when I got it and I had find original replacements. My '69 4-4-2, however, is all original, and it has the heat shield.

Randy C.
Not too sure if it is based on the years or motors but my 74 Omega with a 350 came stock with the shield....the 74 Service Manual shows the shield for all except Toranado....
Old September 14th, 2011, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by 74 Omega
Not too sure if it is based on the years or motors but my 74 Omega with a 350 came stock with the shield....the 74 Service Manual shows the shield for all except Toranado....
Which supports my conclusion that all SHOULD have had it from the factory if an exhaust pipe was less than an inch from it! Those cars without the shield typically had heat soak issues with the starters.
Old September 14th, 2011, 06:12 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
The heat shield on my '68 4-4-2 and my '69 4-4-2 has two fastening points. The high up point fastens into the block. The low end fastens into the starter. The reason some people have trouble with heat shields of my era is that the starter has been replaced with a rebuilt unit and the bolt hole in the starter casing isn't there so there is no lower point to fasten the heat shield. If you have the correct starter and the hole is in the casing, it should be fairly straight-forward on how the shield attaches. The bolt used at the lower point if very short - you don't want the threads to interfer with the inner workings of the starter.

It also appears to me that this heat shield acts as a sort of brace for the forward part of the starter.

Randy C.
Randy nailed it.
Some starters have the provision, some do not.
From my experience, Big blocks have had the shield, and small blocks had the strap.
I have a few laying around if anyone needs one in the future.
Old September 14th, 2011, 06:31 AM

J do you have an extra shield, I'll take one of those - my car won't restart after a few mile drive.
Old September 14th, 2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
Randy nailed it.
Some starters have the provision, some do not.
And if the hole in the starter is not there, mechanics SHOULD at least leave the bracket bolted to the block to do its shielding job. Many times they "forget"/trash 'em.
Old September 14th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Where were you in '72?

I fabricated one, can be used for either strapped or non-strapped starter...it's more to protect the solenoid and wiring.
Attached Images
DSCN3947.jpg (27.7 KB, 134 views)
Old September 14th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by stevengerard
J do you have an extra shield, I'll take one of those - my car won't restart after a few mile drive.
Yes. It will need to be cleaned up, but I have one.
Also, f.y.i.
thepartsplaceinc.com in Dekalb, IL has new ones available if you don't feel like getting dirt under your fingernails.
Old September 14th, 2011, 03:27 PM

I prefer dirt, thanks. I actually enjoy doing the little things like polishing the stainless and other items. I also have access to sand blasting so its an easy cleanup for me. Thanks a bunch.

Also, f.y.i.
thepartsplaceinc.com in Dekalb, IL has new ones available if you don't feel like getting dirt under your fingernails.
Old September 14th, 2011, 08:26 PM

Also, f.y.i.
TAKE THE DIRT!
It is easier to clean em up and repaint then to have to modify the repros to make em fit.
Just installed my repro and the holes are about 1/4" off, so out came the dremel.
Nothing beats original parts...